PDA

View Full Version : If Ron Paul loses the nomination....

I Am Weasel
10-04-2007, 04:16 PM
I'm curious, if Ron Paul doesn't get the GOP nomination, could he use the remaining funds he's raised to sue FOX news for slander and misrepresenting the TRUTH of his campaign while using a public platform to sway the vote of an entire nation? For enough money that would bankrupt FOX news? That would be such sweetness.... :)

Thoughts??

Hope
10-04-2007, 04:19 PM
Even if it were completely justified, suing a news source is just going to make him look bad.

I also don't think Ron Paul is in the "Sue everyone who doesn't like me!!!" mentality. He tends to let it just roll off his back. I think it'd be a good idea for us to follow his example.

I Am Weasel
10-04-2007, 04:45 PM
I do agree, Ron is NOT the "sue everyone who doesn't like me" type. However I don't think it would be about HIM as much as it would be about his message, and that's the point of my post.

Sergeant Brother
10-05-2007, 07:53 PM
I'd rather see him use the money to run 3rd party.

micahnelson
10-05-2007, 07:58 PM
FOX news is a private business providing entertainment to people and making a profit by selling advertising time. They don't owe anyone anything. They dominate the cable news ratings because neocon voters tend to enjoy the echo chamber. If people enjoy fried chicken, why shouldn't they be sold fried chicken? If we want them to eat pizza instead should we

a) show them why pizza is better
b) shut down KFC

We believe our way of thinking is better, lets win it in the area of ideas and not in the courtroom.

jmarinara
10-05-2007, 08:02 PM
FOX news is a private business providing entertainment to people and making a profit by selling advertising time. They don't owe anyone anything. They dominate the cable news ratings because neocon voters tend to enjoy the echo chamber. If people enjoy fried chicken, why shouldn't they be sold fried chicken? If we want them to eat pizza instead should we

b) shut down KFC

We believe our way of thinking is better, lets win it in the area of ideas and not in the courtroom.

and a hearty amen to that!

Johnnybags
10-05-2007, 08:05 PM

b) shut down KFC

Its entertainment for Neocons called NEWS. In laymans terms its a circle jerk. Unfortunately, the blue hairs have not figured it out yet. Heck, if I could sell sh*t on a stick, more power to me. Its blocked at my house and remains so unless an earthquake or hurricane hits.

micahnelson
10-05-2007, 08:07 PM
Its entertainment for Neocons called NEWS. In laymans terms its a circle jerk. Unfortunately, the blue hairs have not figured it out yet. Heck, if I could sell sh*t on a stick, more power to me. Its blocked at my house and remains so unless an earthquake or hurricane hits.

And the market for a pure news outlet grows until...finally... the market will respond. Its really kind of nice when you think about it.

Kregener
10-05-2007, 08:08 PM
The best thing we, as Ron Paul supporters can do, is boycott Faux Snooze advertisers in protest of their slander of Ron Paul.

This always gets attention.

And you do not notify Faux, you only notify the advertisers.

Sergeant Brother
10-05-2007, 08:09 PM

b) shut down KFC

For the most part I agree with this, though I do think that certain things they have said borders on slander of Ron Paul. Not stating negative opinions about him but outright lies intended to hurt his candidacy. That being said though, I don't think it would be worth it for Ron Paul to sue.

micahnelson
10-05-2007, 08:12 PM
I guess you could if it makes you feel better. Notice that most of the fox advertisers are on MSNBC and CNN as well... so.... I don't think they care too much.

What does hurt them is what we are doing right now, spreading the word about a political movement without them- without paying our dues. This campaign is far more damaging to them than a boycott, because it illustrates to the advertisers the power of the new media compared to the old.

If Ron Paul can raise 5 Million on the interwebs, imagine what else you could do there? - all the ceos are thinking.

This is the future. We are early adopters. We have changed the way people think and history will remember it. Lets keep pressing on and free the world through the power of individual liberty!

Sergeant Brother
10-05-2007, 08:17 PM
The best thing we, as Ron Paul supporters can do, is boycott Faux Snooze advertisers in protest of their slander of Ron Paul.

This always gets attention.

And you do not notify Faux, you only notify the advertisers.

That's a good idea. I don't know if I would want to boycott all Fox News sponsors - I think may be a bit too ambitious. I think we can target the most pernicious offenders. I think that John Gibson would be a good place to start, since he's told blatant lies about Ron Paul time and time again.

huchahucha
10-05-2007, 08:51 PM
If Ron Paul does not get the Republican nomination, and truly decides to not run on a third party ticket, then I think we should simply move on to plan B. My suggestion for plan B is that we pool our already kick ass resources and start a new campaign urging people not to vote for a President. The idea is to get people to register to vote, get them to the polls, but have them leave the choice of President on the ballot blank. If a substantial amount of ballots are blank, or "undecided", it will send a clear message that we are not happy with the scumbags that have deemed themselves worthy to run our country.

I've thought about this and think the comical approach is to endorse a candidate named Nobody. I think Nobody should be represented with a paper bag with eye holes cut out of it. It is perfect because none of the elections rules apply to Nobody because he (or she) simply does not exist, and there are no petitions to get Nobody on your state's ballot because Nobody is already there. To exclude Nobody from the general election would be impossible because you would have to ban the election in general.

LibertyOfOne
10-05-2007, 08:56 PM
If Paul loses the nomination he should spend the money on ads that show how similar the left and right are when it comes to the war in Iraq and fiscal spending.

DahuiHeeNalu
10-05-2007, 08:57 PM
If he doesn't Im Canada Bound.

Magsec
10-05-2007, 09:01 PM
"Vengeance is mine" sayeth the Lord.

Don't believe me? Look at Morton Downey Jr. and folks. RP's still ticking strong. No need to go after the networks, things have a way of working themselves out in the end.

stevedasbach
10-05-2007, 09:08 PM
If Paul loses the nomination he should spend the money on ads that show how similar the left and right are when it comes to the war in Iraq and fiscal spending.

How about electing a few new Ron Pauls to Congress? The original could use some allies.

andrewgreve
10-05-2007, 09:37 PM
If Ron Paul loses, we Market Anarchists are planning a big deconversion campaign for you guys to explain that political processes don't work. Get ready to go stateless...

And if he does win, we'll be at Market Anarchy before he leaves office anyway, so no worries there. :)

LibertyOfOne
10-05-2007, 09:41 PM
How about electing a few new Ron Pauls to Congress? The original could use some allies.

Is it legal to move funds from one campaign to another? If so, that sounds like a great idea. We could use at least five more.

ChrisM
10-05-2007, 09:44 PM
I wish I were 25...

winston_blade
10-05-2007, 09:56 PM

Yes...we need to keep the networking that we have started and spread teh love other RP like candidates...but only if they run in one of the main parties. I wouldn't help someone who wants to run third party just to make a statement. It would be a waste of their time and a waste of everyone else who helps them.

alaric
10-05-2007, 10:55 PM
If Ron Paul does not get the Republican nomination, and truly decides to not run on a third party ticket, then I think we should simply move on to plan B. My suggestion for plan B is that we pool our already kick ass resources and start a new campaign urging people not to vote for a President. The idea is to get people to register to vote, get them to the polls, but have them leave the choice of President on the ballot blank. If a substantial amount of ballots are blank, or "undecided", it will send a clear message that we are not happy with the scumbags that have deemed themselves worthy to run our country.

I've thought about this and think the comical approach is to endorse a candidate named Nobody. I think Nobody should be represented with a paper bag with eye holes cut out of it. It is perfect because none of the elections rules apply to Nobody because he (or she) simply does not exist, and there are no petitions to get Nobody on your state's ballot because Nobody is already there. To exclude Nobody from the general election would be impossible because you would have to ban the election in general.

i disagree. the thing to do is write him in! this will slow down the process and a good enough campaign to do it could work!

Bradley in DC
10-05-2007, 11:19 PM
I'm curious, if Ron Paul doesn't get the GOP nomination, could he use the remaining funds he's raised to sue FOX news for slander and misrepresenting the TRUTH of his campaign while using a public platform to sway the vote of an entire nation? For enough money that would bankrupt FOX news? That would be such sweetness.... :)

Thoughts??

More likely he would sue for their right to free speech. That's the kind of guy he is.

http://ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?p=244558#poststop

hard@work
10-05-2007, 11:43 PM

Thoughts??

Well first off even though he's repeatedly said he has no intention to run as an independent, I think we all know how we feel about that. And he has said when asked what he'd do "I don't know... I really think it's 'what are they going to do with me'?".

So we know what we're going to do. And if anyone doubts that for a second ... well, I would imagine you are in a very small minority.

Second, we know this is not a longshot - but a difficult fight. And we're all aware of what that fight means. And we are aware that the fight does not end even if he does win the nomination and does win the presidency. Win or lose we've just begun.

And again, I would imagine if you disagree with that point you are also in a very small minority.