PDA

View Full Version : Despite a rough economy Dubai opens World's Tallest Building

TheConstitutionLives
01-04-2010, 08:33 PM
Impressive ceremony. Might wanna open it in it's own window and view it in fullscreen HD.

YouTube - The world's tallest skyscraper unveiled - The Burj Dubai (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRxxv6AZ_xg&hd=1)

coyote_sprit
01-04-2010, 08:55 PM
Compliments of slave labor.

Anti Federalist
01-04-2010, 10:05 PM
Heard some news talking head today say that the total number of rented square footage of the office space is ... zero.

coyote_sprit
01-04-2010, 10:08 PM
Heard some news talking head today say that the total number of rented square footage of the office space is ... zero.

Could you look for a link, I'd really love to show that to people.

BuddyRey
01-04-2010, 10:14 PM
I know this sounds a bit spoil-sportish and nativist, but why is nobody building anything that ambitious or awe-inspiring in this country anymore?

The U.S. had most of the world's most gigantic and breathtaking skyscrapers for the better part of a century and now even our very tallest aren't in the top five worldwide.

I guess I need to start getting used to the notion that the U.S.A. just isn't #1 at much of anything anymore, besides bullying people around and policing the world.

Anti Federalist
01-04-2010, 10:17 PM
Could you look for a link, I'd really love to show that to people.

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2010-01-04/dubai-opens-tallest-tower-partially-leased-in-slump-update2-.html

That was as good as I could find.

coyote_sprit
01-04-2010, 10:18 PM
I know this sounds a bit spoil-sportish and nativist, but why is nobody building anything that ambitious or awe-inspiring in this country anymore?

The U.S. had most of the world's most gigantic and breathtaking skyscrapers for the better part of a century and now even our very tallest aren't in the top five worldwide.

I guess I need to start getting used to the notion that the U.S.A. just isn't #1 at much of anything anymore, besides bullying people around and policing the world.

If it's any consolation the thing was designed by a company in Chicago.

According to the wiki office space there is like $4,000 per sq ft.

Anti Federalist
01-04-2010, 10:19 PM

The thing was planned here, by a Chicago architecture firm.

But building anything here anymore?

Thing of the past, sadly.

TheConstitutionLives
01-04-2010, 10:26 PM

Hey! Stop hating America. Our government will build one bigger than them all. They just need an incentive to do so. Like it needs to have a deathray gun attached to the top or something fancy they can use to spread freedom that's all. We ain't second to nobody, pal!

Kylie
01-04-2010, 10:29 PM

Because you can't use Chinese steel to build a skyscaper that high.

:D