PDA

View Full Version : A Libertarian view of Shakespeare's Hamlet

Brett
01-04-2010, 02:21 PM
I'm not sure if this is the correct forum for this, but I think it fits best here than anywhere else.

I'm in 12th grade with a super liberal teacher. Earlier assignments this year I revealed how I'm Libertarian, and now she assigned us a research project. She says we can answer/defend any thesis we like as long as it pertains to Hamlet. She talked to me after class and said this topic would be an interesting read for her (meaning easy/free A)

I went through the play and I only found a few bullet points that a normal Libertarian would comment on, but it's not enough for a full paper.

So, any suggestions?

http://www.sparknotes.com/shakespeare/hamlet/
http://www.shmoop.com/hamlet/
^ For reference to anyone who hasn't read it recently.

constituent
01-04-2010, 02:26 PM
I went through the play and I only found a few bullet points that a normal Libertarian would comment on, but it's not enough for a full paper.

That's your problem right there.

I would be interested in seeing these bullet points...

Brett
01-04-2010, 02:30 PM
That's your problem right there.

I would be interested in seeing these bullet points...

Probably. But I was hoping maybe some other people (Perhaps people more Libertarian than me) would be able to help.

I turned in the brainstorming sheet I had, but it mostly centered around how Hamlet would have inherited the throne, Reynaldo's servitude, special privileges based on family status, a spin off of one of Ayn Rand's essays on ethics, and a few other things I can't remember.

constituent
01-04-2010, 02:34 PM
I'd say pick one of those bullet points. Start there.

The hardest part of writing a good paper, and you will realize this as you continue your schooling, is narrowing your focus.

Good luck.

Brett
01-04-2010, 02:49 PM
Hmm. Maybe just an Objectivist perspective on it. That would certainly be easier to research and to have cited sources for.

constituent
01-04-2010, 02:51 PM
Hmm. Maybe just an Objectivist perspective on [it.]

On "it" what though?

Brett
01-04-2010, 02:56 PM
On "it" what though?

Do papers generally need to be that specific? I was thinking just Hamlet (the play) in general, but I could do just Hamlet as himself.

constituent
01-04-2010, 02:58 PM
Do papers generally need to be that specific? I was thinking just Hamlet (the play) in general, but I could do just Hamlet as himself.

When you say "Hamlet (the play)," that means about 100,000 things to me. Same as when you say "Hamlet as himself."

But yea, in general, your papers need to be as narrowly focused as is possible if you're to develop your argument out completely in the alloted time (assuming this is just your run of the mill 12th grade research project).