PDA

View Full Version : Bill Johnson puts $250,000 into his campaign

MRoCkEd
01-04-2010, 10:52 AM
http://www.wkrg.com/raw_news/article/johnson_puts_250000_into_us_senate_race/617253/Jan-04-2010_10-37-am/

Frankfort, Kentucky - Republican Bill Johnson says he has loaned his U.S. Senate campaign $250,000 to start off the new year on stronger financial footing.

The loan was intended as a signal to the political establishment that he is a serious candidate for the Senate seat being vacated by two-term Republican Jim Bunning.

The western Kentucky businessman said he put up the money in hopes of convincing the Washington establishment and the media that he is a legitimate contender.

Most of the focus in the Republican primary race has been on Secretary of State Trey Grayson and Bowling Green eye surgeon Rand Paul, both of whom have banked well more than $1 million.

He's obviously in there to draw votes away from Rand...

Get those Ads running...

Epic
01-04-2010, 10:56 AM
Hmmm... does Johnson takes votes away from Rand or Grayson?

Malachi
01-04-2010, 10:57 AM
This guy isn't functioning on all cylinders!

Polling at less than 2% and flushing a 1/4 of a million dollars down the toilet?

Isn't this guy former military? How does he have that kind of money?

low preference guy
01-04-2010, 10:59 AM
This guy isn't functioning on all cylinders!

Polling at less than 2% and flushing a 1/4 of a million dollars down the toilet?

Isn't this guy former military? How does he have that kind of money?

maybe McConnel or Grayson is funneling money under the table?

Malachi
01-04-2010, 11:02 AM
Hmmm... does Johnson takes votes away from Rand or Grayson?

I'd say both, because any voter that votes for him could have potentially voted for Rand Paul or Tray.

Johnson is a neo-con with a capital N. So, I would assume he would take more votes from Grayson than Paul.

$250,000 isn't even close to enough to run a state-wide campaign! You might mail the voters or run a few weeks of TV ads, but that's about it. He will have to loan himself a lot more money to be competitive not to mention he still has to hire a staff and learn to get out the vote, assuming he can garner more than 2%.

torchbearer
01-04-2010, 11:05 AM
I'd say both, because any voter that votes for him could have potentially voted for Rand Paul or Tray.

Johnson is a neo-con with a capital N. So, I would assume he would take more votes from Grayson than Paul.

$250,000 isn't even close to enough to run a state-wide campaign! You might mail the voters or run a few weeks of TV ads, but that's about it. He will have to loan himself a lot more money to be competitive not to mention he still has to hire a staff and learn to get out the vote, assuming he can garner more than 2%.

Johnson is a puppet campaign for Traitorson. Watch for Johnson to run the attack ads for Traitorson.

I'd like to know where he got that money. Is he flushing his retirement for a senate bid he knows he can't win? Or maybe he is being a good "party" boy and doing what he is told with promise of reward.

Malachi
01-04-2010, 11:06 AM
billy + a crackpipe = The western Kentucky businessman said he put up the money in hopes of convincing the Washington establishment and the media that he is a legitimate contender.

TonySutton
01-04-2010, 11:08 AM
He worked for several years in the Florence, KY area... isn't that where "you know who" is from?

Aratus
01-04-2010, 11:09 AM
oh my creator being demi~urge! like its all even maybe some long lost greenbacks circa the civil war or confederate banknotes? like where DID he GET all that MONEY? did he raid some parker brothers MONOPOLY games for the money that goes along with the cards, deeds and lil ole
board tokens and this is not at all real? how did he get THE money? did jim bunning take a shine to the kid or mitch mcconnell? is trey grayson now jealous? like WHERE (?)did the money
come from!

jist when i thought the race was going to get as boringly exciting as is our own special election senate race! i was trying NOt to opine and quip about the contest between trey grayson
and rand paul for fear i might say something stupid!

Matt Collins
01-04-2010, 11:15 AM
What a waste of money.

Lets see if we can trace it's origin just in case it came from outside of Jill Johnson's pocketbook.

itshappening
01-04-2010, 11:15 AM
total waste of money. no doubt will be spent on attack ads against Rand

Malachi
01-04-2010, 11:20 AM
What a waste of money.

Lets see if we can trace it's origin just in case it came from outside of Jill Johnson's pocketbook.

Wasn't there an article in the CJ about the candidates' funds? Trey was broke?

Matt Collins
01-04-2010, 11:23 AM
Wasn't there an article in the CJ about the candidates' funds? Trey was broke?
Really? :confused: :D

Dreamofunity
01-04-2010, 12:26 PM
"Bill Johnson says he has loaned his U.S. Senate campaign $250,000 to start off the new year on stronger financial footing."

At least he politicks like people in Washington. Going further in debt is a "stronger financial footing."

Malachi
01-04-2010, 12:27 PM
Really? :confused: :D

Yes!

The title of this thread should be: Billy Johnson buys AP Story for a 1/4 of a million dollars.

Matt Collins
01-04-2010, 12:31 PM
"Bill Johnson says he has loaned his U.S. Senate campaign $250,000 to start off the new year on stronger financial footing."

At least he politicks like people in Washington. Going further in debt is a "stronger financial footing."
Exactly. This guy going into debt for his campaign is the exact reason NOT for any conservative / Republicans to support him. If he isn't fiscally responsible with his own campaign, how can we trust him as a Senator? :rolleyes:

Elwar
01-04-2010, 12:40 PM
The loan was intended as a signal to the political establishment that he is a serious candidate....

...in hopes of convincing the Washington establishment...

Sounds more like he's focussed on the same audience Grayson is focussed on.

Sean
01-04-2010, 01:09 PM
This doesn't mean he is going to spend the 250k. It could just be to get media attention. He could pay himself back at any time if he doesn't spend it.

Allan Bartlett
01-04-2010, 02:20 PM
He's not going to spend it on a campaign he knows he has no chance at. This is purely for looks on his next FEC report.

Brett
01-04-2010, 02:26 PM
Since he can't give $250,000 to Grayson, he can just run his campaign on an "Anti-Rand Paul" platform and run only attack ads. That way he can use all his money without taking votes away from Trey.

Or they think splitting the establishment vote will cause them to win?

Matt Collins
01-04-2010, 02:50 PM
Perhaps the KY-GOP has promised something in exchange for this?

Kotin
01-04-2010, 04:41 PM
yeah.. what a fiscal conservative... :rolleyes:

kathy88
01-04-2010, 04:45 PM
Yes!

The title of this thread should be: Billy Johnson buys AP Story for a 1/4 of a million dollars.

Exactly.

TCE
01-04-2010, 04:53 PM
Exactly.

Well, he got this board all riled up, so that's worth something. I'm sure he's reading this thread right now ('cause he sure isn't out there campaigning) and laughing all the way to the bank. It doesn't matter. He's not worth our time at the moment, and he sure isn't worth worrying about.

freedoms-light
01-04-2010, 05:29 PM
Headline
Wealthy fake conservative candidate who was supported by pro choice vs. pro life voters by a 2 to 1 margin in the survey USA poll in November attempts to buy Kentucky Senate seat.

Malachi
01-04-2010, 05:37 PM
Does this mean he can start paying Keyes? :rolleyes:

brandon
01-04-2010, 06:58 PM
A few months back he was quoted saying something like "if it takes more than 100,000 to win the race, then something is wrong and it's not worth winning." Ill see if I can find the quote...

daSHiZZLE
01-04-2010, 07:08 PM
wow, I'd love to dig into that cash, I'm sure I can get him a few more subscribers on YouTube, he's at 4 right now...

YouTube - Keyes Reagan Commercial.flv (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DDbDIYRQZ0)

"defended our nation against drugs"... lmfao, is this guy for real?

josh.schisler
01-04-2010, 07:08 PM
Exactly. This guy going into debt for his campaign is the exact reason NOT for any conservative / Republicans to support him. If he isn't fiscally responsible with his own campaign, how can we trust him as a Senator? :rolleyes:

Anyone taking out loans is not a fiscal conservative?

I realize that the talking point might be effective, but it's not a very sound argument.

brandon
01-04-2010, 07:17 PM
A few months back he was quoted saying something like "if it takes more than 100,000 to win the race, then something is wrong and it's not worth winning." Ill see if I can find the quote...

Found it. He claims that he will not spend more than $500,000. He says “If I can’t win on that amount, then either the message or messenger is wrong"

He also claimed he would raise $200,000 by the end of 2009. ;)

http://bluegrasspolitics.bloginky.com/2009/08/20/rand-paul-detonates-money-bomb-in-us-senate-race/

Malachi
01-04-2010, 07:25 PM
Is this guy writing himself a check for $250,000 or taking out a loan to loan to himself? :p

That determines the fiscal conservative part.

Of course, if he is cashing in on his retirement or investments (mortgaging his future) that bears some consideration as well.

Maybe, Lisa "Smoking" Graas can get us an in-depth interview with billy over these important financial developments.

Eric21ND
01-04-2010, 07:37 PM
Is this guy writing himself a check for $250,000 or taking out a loan to loan to himself? :p

That determines the fiscal conservative part.

Of course, if he is cashing in on his retirement or investments (mortgaging his future) that bears some consideration as well.

Maybe, Lisa "Smoking" Graas can get us an in-depth interview with billy over these important financial developments.

I think the only substance she smokes is bat shit.

low preference guy
01-04-2010, 07:48 PM
guys, is it good to realize that we are running against a total incompetent?

RyanRSheets
01-04-2010, 08:22 PM

I disagree thoroughly on this point, as I would gladly dump all of my money into my own campaign if it meant me being heard, if I had money to spare. I'm passionate enough that I would be willing to do that so that I could help take back my country. Peter Schiff has said he would give a million to his campaign; is that not the same thing?

I don't think Bill Johnson's doing it for the reasons I would, though.

Matt Collins
01-04-2010, 09:54 PM
I disagree thoroughly on this point, as I would gladly dump all of my money into my own campaign if it meant me being heard, if I had money to spare. I'm passionate enough that I would be willing to do that so that I could help take back my country. Peter Schiff has said he would give a million to his campaign; is that not the same thing?If you cannot get enough financial support from outside your own pocketbook, you have to ask yourself if you have enough support to win; chances are probably not.

freedoms-light
01-04-2010, 09:57 PM
Now at least KY Bill can claim a vast majority of his funds coming from KY.

josh.schisler
01-04-2010, 11:16 PM
If you cannot get enough financial support from outside your own pocketbook, you have to ask yourself if you have enough support to win; chances are probably not.

He assesses the situation differently. That doesn't mean he is not fiscally conservative.

This might be a good talking point to persuade Bill's supporters, but the logic isn't sound.

Michigan11
01-04-2010, 11:18 PM
We should ignore this Jill Johnson fool....

Jordan
01-05-2010, 10:03 AM
He assesses the situation differently. That doesn't mean he is not fiscally conservative.

This might be a good talking point to persuade Bill's supporters, but the logic isn't sound.

Not only that. Going negative to steal 5% of the electorate isn't a good economic choice.

Rand's leading in the polls by being positive, telling Kentuckians what he's going to do for them. If he goes negative he risks losing some of his base to gain what is only a few points.

To Rand: Keep on keeping on.

RyanRSheets
01-05-2010, 10:18 AM
If you cannot get enough financial support from outside your own pocketbook, you have to ask yourself if you have enough support to win; chances are probably not.

If you're desparate to get your message out, you ought to stop at nothing to get it out there. The average voter is going to see this as a sign that Bill really believes what he's saying and places his country before himself, not that he's a wreckless spender. We would do best to not talk about this.

Matt Collins
01-05-2010, 11:05 AM
Not only that. Going negative to steal 5% of the electorate isn't a good economic choice.If this clown takes 5% of votes, he could likely take them from Rand. And that could be the ballgame :(

Ethek
01-05-2010, 11:14 AM
I would wager that Bills main route to gain support has been banking lately on the popularism of the Oath Keepers chapter in KY and the idea to spread quickly inside the ky tea-party movement. Mr Duncan being his emissary.

Bills Special Forces I think they call it. Its a feeble strategy.

Surelly Bill knows this was started by a Ron Paul Staffer Stewart Rhodes.

lordindra3
01-05-2010, 12:39 PM
Trust me, you guys can verify on DP, that I am not popular with many because I am so damn skeptical of conspiracy theories in general. However, I have to say that I am wondering if this is a conspiracy here, because I cant see Bill Johnson's motives here?!

Im starting to think he is being pushed by Grayson because Johnson absolutely knows that he has no chance in hell, whatsoever. Unfortunately, Jill Johnson is a neo con, but still takes more votes away from Rand than Grayson, easily, because Bill is running on the platform of being an "outsider" and non establishment. There are neo con leaning people in KY voting for Rand, but because his outsider status is more appealing than the same old same old neo con hack, Grayson.

I wish we had a counter "insurgency" plan worked out against this Johnson character!

Aratus
01-05-2010, 01:04 PM
sarah palin or alan keyes got a fundraiser up, together?

or... there is a time machine, and a Republican slush fund

donation from 1896 traveled ahead to today's KY of 2o1o?

or... he just mortgaged his life to a bank to RUN and he now

has a staff who is suggesting that he get his OWN blimp?

if sarah palin kept to her book tour, didst alan keyes do

a fundraiser somewhere near or in kentucky? i am musing

out loud. i am still staring at this totally NEW development...

Aratus
01-05-2010, 01:14 PM
someone do please hint! hint! hint! to the bill johnson campaign that mr. "third place" NEEDs
to get a blimp so that it can be flown over the TREY GRAYSON HQ ...just so the D.C press
can take him seriously! like if he has a quarter million to spend, he NEEDs a blimp to be for real!

torchbearer
01-05-2010, 01:23 PM
someone do please hint! hint! hint! to the bill johnson campaign that mr. "third place" NEEDs
to get a blimp so that it can be flown over the TREY GRAYSON HQ ...just so the D.C press
can take him seriously! like if he has a quarter million to spend, he NEEDs a blimp to be for real!

he can't even afford a blimp. he'd have to settle for a smaller airbus.

Gage
01-05-2010, 03:22 PM
Ironic that this probably got more attention on here than anywhere else.

HarryBrowneLives
01-05-2010, 06:02 PM
Ironic that this probably got more attention on here than anywhere else.

Bump +100. Ole Bill just threw a quarter mill down a rat hole. Why? We have NO idea. He'd be better off gaining attention by campaigning naked. It would be a LOT cheaper too.;)

malkusm
01-05-2010, 06:43 PM
Bill Johnson puts $250,000 into toilet, flushes

^Fixed the thread title for you.

RonPaulFanInGA
01-05-2010, 06:46 PM
Johnson still has no support, and I'd bet the next independent poll that includes him will confirm that yet again.

thomas-in-ky
01-05-2010, 06:58 PM
The $250,000K may be a publicity stunt to get included in the next poll. Was he even included in the PPP poll?