PDA

View Full Version : John Stossel: "Anti-Muslim Backlash"

BlackTerrel
12-31-2009, 02:59 AM
http://stossel.blogs.foxbusiness.com/2009/12/24/anti-muslim-backlash/

I wrote something similar after Ft. Hood. And I thought of it again after the failed attack on the airliner. Where is this supposed backlash the media keeps warning us about? The truth is that the vast majority of Americans are not collectivist, and we don't judge large groups of people based on the actions of a few.

As opposed to the majority of the world by the way. Just look at what Switzerland is doing to it's Muslim population despite never having suffered a terrorist attack. One of the many reasons I love this country.

Immediately after US Army major Nidal Hasan, a Muslim, was accused of murdering 14 people at the Fort Hood military base in Texas, the media warned of the backlash soon to be felt by Muslim Americans. Writing in the Weekly Standard, Gary Bauer points out that despite many predictions of anti-Muslim backlash, nothing like that has happened:

(A)n Associated Press headline read, "Another attack leaves U.S. Muslims fearing backlash." A Christian Science Monitor story was titled, "Fort Hood Shootings: US Muslims feel new heat."

Even our "leaders," who should know better, showed little confidence in the American spirit of tolerance.

Department of Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano declared: "We object to, and do not believe, that anti-Muslim sentiment should emanate from this." And U.S. Army Chief of Staff George Casey said, "I'm concerned that this increased speculation [about Hasan's motives] could cause a backlash against some of our Muslim soldiers."

But Bauer reminds us that the backlash against Muslims never materialized. It's a myth.

Almost all of the "backlash" against Muslims following acts of Islamic domestic terrorism has consisted of acerbic blog posts, tightened restrictions at mosques and enhanced airport security.

In the more than a month since the Fort Hood massacre, the only religion-based crime I could find was committed by a young Muslim in California at a mall kiosk. He tore a crucifix from shopper's neck and shouted anti-Christian slurs and "Allah is power."

That Muslims have not been victims of violence since the Fort Hood shootings speaks to what's good about America; most of us have a sense of fair play and are unwilling to judge a group because of one individual's actions. It's too bad when our media and government officials jump to conclusions about the American character.

BlackTerrel
12-31-2009, 03:47 AM
Lol BlackTerrel, just look at the comments on his report.

There's a difference between writing a negative thing about Muslims on a web page and going out and taking out your anger on an innocent Muslim. The latter is what we've been warned about - and that hasn't happened.

I also wouldn't take the comments section to be representative of anything. I posted this before, but we had a guy from YouTube once tell our class that while YouTube is the 4th most visited site on the Internet, only about 1 in 100 have an account and 1 in 10,000 post comments. It's always the most radical (on either side) that post comments on youtube (or articles, or whatever). 9,999 read the article while 1 writes a comment.

I believe that you are a Muslim - have you suffered a backlash?