PDA

View Full Version : Florida Democrats Sue National Party because of early presidential primary -- Can we?

FrankRep
10-04-2007, 02:06 PM
Fla. Dems Sue National Party on Primary

Associated Press
Oct 4

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) - Congressional Democrats from Florida sued their own party Thursday, hoping to restore the national convention delegates stripped from the state because it scheduled an early presidential primary.

The party violated the Constitution and federal voting laws by taking away Florida Democrats' ability to have a say in choosing the presidential nominee, says the lawsuit filed by Sen. Bill Nelson and Rep. Alcee Hastings against the Democratic National Committee and Chairman Howard Dean

Source:
http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D8S2J7L81&show_article=1

JosephTheLibertarian
10-04-2007, 03:16 PM
Sounds good to me :) any Ron Paul lawyers in the house??

Electrostatic
10-04-2007, 05:06 PM
We can't use the same argument.... (Even if you think it would be good to sue the party)

Florida is suing because the Democratic Party took away their ability to vote.

That said, I think primaries are BS in the first place. Completely unconstitutional to use billions in tax payer money for the purpose of "federalizing" the elections of non-governmental candidates to non-governmental positions inside of non-governmental organizations (political parties), for the 'primary' purpose of controlling ballot access in all 50 states.

Political parties should have to pay 100% for their own 'primaries', and regardless of results should have to collect signatures to get their choice on the ballot (same rules anyone else would have to follow)... Every fricking year. Period.

jgmaynard
10-04-2007, 08:48 PM
It doesn't seem to me that there has been much notice in NH that the deadline to change parties has been moved up to Oct. 12. Wouldn't that deny many people the chance to vote in the party in which they wished to vote? That's the only thing that I can think might be used as the basis of a lawsuit - just to get a stay of deadline. But, I'm not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV.

JM