PDA

View Full Version : A moment of silence please

teacherone
12-30-2009, 01:28 PM
8 Americans Dead in Fierce Afghan Battles

Hundreds of Militants Attack Remote Outposts Near Pakistan Border; Taliban Claims Responsibility for Attacks

Hundreds of insurgents armed with automatic rifles and rocket-propelled grenades stormed a pair of remote outposts near the Pakistan border, killing eight U.S. soldiers and capturing more than 20 Afghan security troops in the deadliest assault against U.S. forces in more than a year, military officials said.

The fierce gunbattle, which erupted at dawn Saturday in the Kamdesh district of mountainous Nuristan province and raged throughout the day, is likely to fuel the debate in Washington over the direction of the troubled eight-year war.

It was the heaviest U.S. loss of life in a single battle since July 2008, when nine American soldiers were killed in a raid on an outpost in Wanat in the same province.

Gen. Stanley McChrystal, the top U.S. and NATO commander in Afghanistan, plans to shift U.S. troops away from remote outposts that are difficult to defend and move them into more heavily populated areas as part of his new strategy to focus on protecting Afghan civilians.

U.S. troops used artillery, helicopter gunships and airstrikes Saturday to repel the attackers, inflicting "heavy enemy casualties," according to a NATO statement. Fighting persisted in the area Sunday, U.S. and Afghan officials said.

The Taliban claimed responsibility for the attack. NATO spokesman Brig. Gen. Eric Tremblay said the assailants included a mix of "tribal militias," Taliban and fighters loyal to Sirajudin Haqqani, an al Qaeda-linked militant based in sanctuaries in the tribal areas of Pakistan near the Afghan border.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/10/04/world/main5361928.shtml

Ron_Paul_Knows
12-30-2009, 01:38 PM
There were 8 Americans killed today, but that article is from a different incident a few months ago.

Here is the information from today's incident, a suicide bombing:
http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/asiapcf/12/30/afghanistan.us.casualties/index.html (http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/asiapcf/12/30/afghanistan.us.casualties/index.html)

teacherone
12-30-2009, 01:45 PM
Thank you. Heard it on the radio and googled a link.

These men were sent to their deaths on our dimes.

Want world peace? Stop paying your taxes!

There were 8 Americans killed today, but that article is from a different incident a few months ago.

Here is the information from today's incident, a suicide bombing:
http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/asiapcf/12/30/afghanistan.us.casualties/index.html (http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/asiapcf/12/30/afghanistan.us.casualties/index.html)

cheapseats
12-30-2009, 02:08 PM

The infamous THEY cannot do what they do, but that the people they do it TO keep funding it.

Deborah K
12-30-2009, 02:11 PM

This is but one of many reasons we should stop paying taxes to this inept, corrupt government....

cheapseats
12-30-2009, 02:16 PM
This is but one of many reasons we should stop paying taxes to this inept, corrupt government....

I am compelled to pay sales taxes as I go, also a festival of other "built-in" taxes and penalties. But as to SENDING MORE MONEY, of my own volition? Negative. I require Regress of Grievances before rightful assessment of taxes can occur.

[MANY TIMES noted, the objection that Taxation = Theft. Coercion, for sure. Even so, in my worldview, SOME taxation is necessary to operate SOME government, which I ALSO deem to be necessary. Being coercive AND discriminatory, as little taxation and as little government as possible is the objective.]

Deborah K
12-30-2009, 02:24 PM
I am compelled to pay sales taxes as I go, also a festival of other "built-in" taxes and penalties. But as to SENDING MORE MONEY, of my own volition? Negative. I require Regress of Grievances before rightful assessment of taxes can occur.

[MANY TIMES noted, the objection that Taxation = Theft. Coercion, for sure. Even so, in my worldview, SOME taxation is necessary to operate SOME government, which I ALSO deem to be necessary. Being coercive AND discriminatory, as little taxation and as little government as possible is the objective.]

I'm referring more specifically to a tax revolt as a way to choke off this corrupt government. I understand and agree with your premise.

LDA
12-30-2009, 02:28 PM
It's 2009, so it's not as if anyone currently in the military signed up before these unjust wars were started and were forced to stay in. Why did these soldiers choose to fight in this war? I understand the "support the troops" sentiment, but it makes no sense to say "I don't support the killing, but I do support those that are doing the killing."

RyanRSheets
12-30-2009, 02:40 PM
The only problem is, with the Federal Reserve, we would have to have a ton of people behind the protest for it to matter. They will use the fed to generate what they miss from protestors unless it's a big enough chunk that they can't hide it. We would need wealthy people on our side, as they pay the larger portion. Plus, if you spend your tax money elsewhere, that money will end up in the government's hands anyhow.

Spending uncontrollably would bring the system down pretty quickly as well.

cheapseats
12-30-2009, 02:45 PM
I'm referring more specifically to a tax revolt as a way to choke off this corrupt government.

Personally, I don't see any other way.

We are HANDING MONEY TO ADDICTS AND BAD GUYS, then tsk-tsking how they spend it.

You finance it, you OWN it. Wailing about THAT'S NOT HOW I WANT THEM TO SPEND THE MONEY and/or GIVING MY MONEY DOES NOT MEAN I SUPPORT THE ACTIONS is unadulterated horseshit.

cheapseats
12-30-2009, 02:46 PM
Spending uncontrollably would bring the system down pretty quickly as well.

So will spending frugally.

cheapseats
12-30-2009, 02:49 PM
It's 2009, so it's not as if anyone currently in the military signed up before these unjust wars were started and were forced to stay in. Why did these soldiers choose to fight in this war? I understand the "support the troops" sentiment, but it makes no sense to say "I don't support the killing, but I do support those that are doing the killing."

Soldiers enjoy soldiering?

coyote_sprit
12-30-2009, 02:51 PM

They'll just borrow more money and put the tab on you.

cheapseats
12-30-2009, 03:05 PM
They'll just borrow more money and put the tab on you.

As we have lately seen, Lenders DO know how NOT to lend.

It stands to Reason that, if Lenders will keep lending us money for wars we cannot afford, the Lenders either A.) approve of the wars or B.) are profiting therefrom.

Deborah K
12-30-2009, 03:10 PM
As we have lately seen, Lenders DO know how NOT to lend.

It stands to Reason that, if Lenders will keep lending us money for wars we cannot afford, the Lenders either A.) approve of the wars or B.) are profiting therefrom.

C). All of the above

cheapseats
12-30-2009, 03:21 PM
C). All of the above

Lenders are more responsive to Consumers than Government Officials are to Voters.

When America means business, America imposes Economic Sanctions. When the People are ready to play Hardball, they will do the same.

Pericles
12-30-2009, 03:38 PM
Soldiers enjoy soldiering?

Many (especially the combat troops) do. Some people are born to be writers, some to be doctors, some to be soldiers .....

cheapseats
12-30-2009, 03:44 PM
Many (especially the combat troops) do. Some people are born to be writers, some to be doctors, some to be soldiers .....

Exactly so.

Will you concede that following dreams of Writing or Doctoring play out rather differently than following dreams of Soldiering, particularly with regard to impacting those who choose not to read given writings, visit given doctors or support given wars?

newbitech
12-30-2009, 03:48 PM
I'm referring more specifically to a tax revolt as a way to choke off this corrupt government. I understand and agree with your premise.

my plan is to treat the FED like any other predatory creditor and string them along. I am not going to say, "I refuse to pay" or "I object". I am just going to be like, welp can't pay it don't have the money. Here let me give you $5 a month in a payment plan. Oh really? I am being charged interest and late fees? Oh well, guess I'll just have to suffer the consequences then.

See, I don't even think its the not paying part that hurts them. The biggest problem we are going to face with this ragged out fiat system of debt is the servicing of the debt.

We'll get to a point where it cost more money to collect the interest than the original loan was worth. Thus exacerbating the losses. At this point, it is already not worth the IRS to screw around and bring legal action against households and businesses with a tax burden of less than around 20k a year. The burden on the courts and the fact that the IRS has NO money to fund prosecution will allow folks to drag out proceedings for years.

I'd just hang on to that ransom payment as long as you can probably 3 or more years. Don't spend it, just let it build up and go with the flow. To do this, people have to lose the fear of going to jail, having wages garnished, or having their property stolen, or worse having some armed people storming their house at 3am. It just doesn't happen that way.

Just let it go for a year. Tell your employer that you are claiming exemption and want no taxes withheld. You might have to renegotiate your employment, but once you do and get to a point where you actually CONTROL ALL of your FIAT debt, then you can start negotiating with the IRS. Don't lie, or cheat on your returns. But when the time comes to pay, just tell them you can't afford it. Be proactive as possible without giving in. As you would in a tight credit situation where the choice was your house or food, or the tax man.

String em along for as long as you can probably years, but make sure you agree to pay in something and don't let em prove that you hold debt at a bank. Turn that money you save into an appreciating asset like gold, and let the IRS know that you are doing them a favor by holding real money for future interest payments.

Anyway, that's my take on controlling how your debt is allocated.

Pericles
12-30-2009, 04:00 PM
Exactly so.

Will you concede that following dreams of Writing or Doctoring play out rather differently than following dreams of Soldiering, particularly with regard to impacting those who choose not to read given writings, visit given doctors or support given wars?

Sure.

Favorite job interview question: "So, you have been in the Army a long time. Have you ever had a real job?"

BlackTerrel
12-30-2009, 04:15 PM
Thanks for posting this. One of my best friends is over there. Every time I get a call from his brother I worry that it is going to be with that bad news. Prayers for the victims and their families.

I want the troops back home more than anything right now.