PDA

View Full Version : Worst. Decade. Ever.

Reason
12-29-2009, 04:56 PM
YouTube - Worst. Decade. Ever. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvPuNU_meEc)

NerveShocker
12-29-2009, 05:14 PM
Rofl. Great clip

dannno
12-29-2009, 05:20 PM
Ya that's what I've been thinking.

lester1/2jr
12-29-2009, 05:30 PM
yeah the I'm sorry press conference. always with the wife standing right there so no one will ask any tough questions. accept one time they did, when ted haggard tried to drive by they were like "you got massages and bought meth??" he was like "okay that didn't work"

Toureg89
12-29-2009, 05:33 PM
i heart Reason TV

Austrian Econ Disciple
12-29-2009, 05:35 PM
I have to admit that was pretty funny, and disheartening at the same time.

heavenlyboy34
12-29-2009, 05:48 PM
I think the 1860s, 1930s, and 1940s were all a tad worse ;) :eek: The vid did make me chortle a bit tho. :)

armstrong
12-29-2009, 05:53 PM
yea we somehow got 7 more states that I just cant find......geeez

Scofield
12-29-2009, 06:24 PM
I think the 1860s, 1930s, and 1940s were all a tad worse ;) :eek:

I highly doubt it.

Honestly, just take a quick glance at the people around you. Selfish, materialistic, greedy, inconsiderate, snobby, unfriendly, self-centered, lazy, apathetic, uninformed, misinformed, and on and on. Our society is the way it is because of the people in it. This was the worst decade for a reason, it stems from the fact that the people of this country stand for nothing other than obtaining wealth and fucking over anyone who steps in their path.

The wars are worse now than they were in the past, as we aren't fighting for anything of value to the people. We are fighting for corporate enslavement and for big business and big government to get what THEY want. We aren't fighting for rights, peace, or for the betterment of our people in the slightest.

At least in the Civil War, the South was fighting for actual individual and state rights, and the North were fighting for what they thought was peace for the union.

The Depression may have been bad, but look the country now. The economy is headed to a dead-end, what many experts are predicting as a depression worse than the Great Depression. The 1930's is your best argument against the 2000's being the worst decade, but it's not absolute.

World War II may have been brutal, but this country has never been so united before (except maybe the Revolution). Compare the attitude of World War II with that of Iraq and Afghanistan. Compare our society during those wars, and tell me how we are better now than we were back then.

Face it, until the people change, we are destined for gloom and horror. We are looking, scratch that, we ARE a Hobbesian society now. This country used to fit the idea of a Locke-like society, but I just don't see it any more.

It is every man for himself, there is no community anymore. The only community worth noting is the Liberty community. WE are the last remaining remnants of a community, and WE are losing. The American (and Human) family is dying, and our society as a whole is feeling the effects. Compare society today with society in the past, and tell me, honestly tell me, you think we are better off now than we were back then.

Give me the 1860's, 1930's, 1940's any day. Times may have been hard, they may have been ugly, but we were still a community. We were still a Locke-like society. Now, welcome to Hobbes version of life, or rather, Hell on Earth.

Jeez
12-29-2009, 06:32 PM
I highly doubt it.

Honestly, just take a quick glance at the people around you. Selfish, materialistic, greedy, inconsiderate, snobby, unfriendly, self-centered, lazy, apathetic, uninformed, misinformed, and on and on. Our society is the way it is because of the people in it. This was the worst decade for a reason, it stems from the fact that the people of this country stand for nothing other than obtaining wealth and fucking over anyone who steps in their path.

The wars are worse now than they were in the past, as we aren't fighting for anything of value to the people. We are fighting for corporate enslavement and for big business and big government to get what THEY want. We aren't fighting for rights, peace, or for the betterment of our people in the slightest.

At least in the Civil War, the South was fighting for actual individual and state rights, and the North were fighting for what they thought was peace for the union.

The Depression may have been bad, but look the country now. The economy is headed to a dead-end, what many experts are predicting as a depression worse than the Great Depression. The 1930's is your best argument against the 2000's being the worst decade, but it's not absolute.

World War II may have been brutal, but this country has never been so united before (except maybe the Revolution). Compare the attitude of World War II with that of Iraq and Afghanistan. Compare our society during those wars, and tell me how we are better now than we were back then.

Face it, until the people change, we are destined for gloom and horror. We are looking, scratch that, we ARE a Hobbesian society now. This country used to fit the idea of a Locke-like society, but I just don't see it any more.

It is every man for himself, there is no community anymore. The only community worth noting is the Liberty community. WE are the last remaining remnants of a community, and WE are losing. The American (and Human) family is dying, and our society as a whole is feeling the effects. Compare society today with society in the past, and tell me, honestly tell me, you think we are better off now than we were back then.

Give me the 1860's, 1930's, 1940's any day. Times may have been hard, they may have been ugly, but we were still a community. We were still a Locke-based society. Now, welcome to Hobbes version of life, or rather, Hell on Earth.

That is always the case with Wars people did not become greedy all of sudden it is human nature, did you forget about our wars against native americans, Spanish-American war, Mexican-American war and Philippine war of Independence etc all which were fought over $$$$.

Many view even the civil war was over $$: Northerners who felt South was getting unfair advantage with its slave population. Heck even in WWII US turned blind eye towards Hitler and his atrocities, only reason we decided to declare war was because of Pearl Harbor and also the impact u-boats attack were having on our biggest trading partner (Britain) once again $$$.

Scofield
12-29-2009, 06:44 PM
That is always the case with Wars people did not become greedy all of sudden it is human nature, did you forget about our wars against native americans, Spanish-American war, Mexican-American war and Philippine war of Independence etc all which were fought over $$$$.

Many view even the civil war was over $$: Northerners who felt South was getting unfair advantage with its slave population. Heck even in WWII US turned blind eye towards Hitler and his atrocities, only reason we decided to declare war was because of Pearl Harbor and also the impact u-boats attack were having on our biggest trading partner (Britain) once again $$$.

You missed the entire point of my post.

You're looking at this decade in terms of wars, I am looking at this decade in terms of a shift in the dynamic of our society.

All one must do is look at the '90s. Yes, just a decade ago, and you will notice an enormous change in society. The '90s weren't perfect, by no means would I suggest that, but compare people then with people now.

Compare the greed, corporatism, selfishness, materialism, lack of values and morality, the change in family makeup, the change in the general vibe you feel. I can't speak for everyone, but I feel a very gloomy and negative vibe with society in this day and age, yet, not one decade ago I felt as if everything was happy and upbeat. People were friendly, the future looked promising, people still had morals and values. The American family, albeit showing signs of trouble, was still intact (mostly).

This decade shouldn't be analyzed by looking at Iraq or Afghanistan; fuck, this decade shouldn't even be looked at as 9/11 and terrorism being the biggest issue(s). This decade should be recalled as the decade in which America finally cut all ties with her heritage, her values, her morality, her sense of community, her sense of family. I venture to say most, if not all of you, will look back on the 2000's and notice how America went from looking like a Locke-like society, to that of a Hobbes-like society.

This past decade was the worst in our history, not because of unjust wars and terrorism, or economic trouble. This past decade was the worst in our history for one reason: the change in the human spirit.