PDA

View Full Version : Bleed the beast or principled refusal of govt handouts

Mahkato
12-29-2009, 10:37 AM
Most of us on this forum feel that it is unethical (or worse) government to collect taxes and redistribute the proceeds in the form of various 'benefit' programs.

The problem is that we can't refuse the cost of the direct and indirect taxes and regulations because most of our fellow voters aren't aware of the oppressive and violent behavior they are committing.

So the question is, since we're forced to accept the tax and regulatory burden, do we grab all we can get back (sign up for every program we qualify for), take only the benefits we absolutely need or can't avoid using (like public roads, police, etc.), or actively try to avoid robbing our fellow taxpayers with Uncle Sam's gun? This is assuming that at the same time, we are actively working to end these government programs through political and/or educational efforts.

Is it justifiable to bleed the beast since that will force the system down sooner so that we can (hopefully) make a fresh attempt at freedom? Is it justifiable to sign up for lots of benefit programs and use the proceeds to donate to liberty candidates and organizations since many big-government supporters are doing the same for their candidates and organizations? Do we just shrug and take a "well, that's what it's there for" or "I paid in so now I'm cashing out" approach and sign up for what we need?

Dilemma, dilemma.

Ethek
12-29-2009, 11:46 AM
Most of us on this forum feel that it is unethical (or worse) government to collect taxes and redistribute the proceeds in the form of various 'benefit' programs.

The problem is that we can't refuse the cost of the direct and indirect taxes and regulations because most of our fellow voters aren't aware of the oppressive and violent behavior they are committing.

So the question is, since we're forced to accept the tax and regulatory burden, do we grab all we can get back (sign up for every program we qualify for), take only the benefits we absolutely need or can't avoid using (like public roads, police, etc.), or actively try to avoid robbing our fellow taxpayers with Uncle Sam's gun? This is assuming that at the same time, we are actively working to end these government programs through political and/or educational efforts.

Is it justifiable to bleed the beast since that will force the system down sooner so that we can (hopefully) make a fresh attempt at freedom? Is it justifiable to sign up for lots of benefit programs and use the proceeds to donate to liberty candidates and organizations since many big-government supporters are doing the same for their candidates and organizations? Do we just shrug and take a "well, that's what it's there for" or "I paid in so now I'm cashing out" approach and sign up for what we need?

Dilemma, dilemma.

How does the saying go.' Extremism in the pursuit of liberty isno vice'. If you get funds from the government and use it to further your interest and ability to improve your position to advocate for liberty, I say do it.

The only condition is that you hold yourself and the power gain accountable to something like G Edward Griffins Creed of Freedom.

http://www.freedomforceinternational.org/freedom.cfm?fuseaction=creed

Principle is good but only when it applies to perseverance to a definable planned goal.. if it is just for the sake of being stubborn its akin to being unprincipled and undisciplined in my book.

heavenlyboy34
12-29-2009, 11:49 AM
The government has its tentacles in so many aspects of our lives now that it's nearly impossible for most to get away from it and maintain their standard of living. :( If people can bleed the beast dry without corrupting or otherwise hurting themselves/others, go for it.

1000-points-of-fright
12-29-2009, 11:50 AM
If I'm already paying for it, I'm gonna use it. When they stop charging me, I'll stop using it.