PDA

View Full Version : Jake Towne to Donate Most of Congressional Salary to Charity

bobbyw24
12-29-2009, 06:09 AM
I believe government spending needs to be cut and will start with my own. I will only accept the estimated 2008 median household income in the 15th district instead of $174,000. After taxes, I will donate the remainder of my salary to local non-profit hospitals to help provide health care to those who need it the most in the district.

No silly pension, no elite health care.

http://towneforcongress.com/jakes-bio/salary-benefits-term-limits

ctiger2
12-29-2009, 08:45 AM
Jake is THE MAN. He must win. Donate to Jake if you can.

Nathan Hale
12-29-2009, 12:05 PM
He's running as a libertarian. Seems like a nice guy and all, but I'd rather not throw my money away.

ctiger2
12-29-2009, 12:28 PM
YouTube - Jake Towne outside the Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia 11/22/09 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4g-dpY0seEY)

Flash
12-29-2009, 01:19 PM
He's running as a libertarian. Seems like a nice guy and all, but I'd rather not throw my money away.

I thought he was running as an independent.

bobbyw24
12-29-2009, 01:21 PM
I thought he was running as an independent.

We need to support him irrespective of party affiliation

Nathan Hale
12-29-2009, 08:58 PM
We need to support him irrespective of party affiliation

Not necessarily. Don Quixote was a nice guy too, but that doesn't mean we should follow him.

Austrian Econ Disciple
12-29-2009, 09:03 PM
Nathan Jake is running as an Independant. I also second Bobbyw. What is your aversion to libertarian candidates?

Nathan Hale
12-30-2009, 07:17 AM
Nathan Jake is running as an Independant. I also second Bobbyw. What is your aversion to libertarian candidates?

I don't have an aversion to libertarian candidates, I just don't consider third party runs to be an effective method of winning elections, barring a major additional variable such as fame or wealth.

bobbyw24
12-30-2009, 07:20 AM
Libertarians Awake [Support the GOP]

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=224709

Jake Towne
12-30-2009, 09:51 AM
Dear Nathan Hale -

I am running as an independent private citizen, which was reached after quite a bit of thought last year in regards to the specific situation of the race in conjunction with the message I have. In hindsight, this decision is looking pretty good. I do agree with your comment on third party candidates on 2008 and the 20+ years beforehand, but in 2010 - and especially 2012 nationally - it remains to be seen. I have the right message - check out the Open Office idea on my website - and am doing all I can to be competitive.

My mission statement also includes spreading the message of liberty, and I am probably doing that more effectively per the dollar than any other campaign out there because I (and volunteers!!!) have donated my time into this effort since May 2009 when the campaign started. I've probably already managed to directly reach 10% of the voters, that is 45,000+ and I still have 10 months to go.
http://towneforcongress.com/mission/mission-statement

My campaign has had quite a bit of success already getting into the local papers, see the Dec 13th editorial side-by-side with the Dem and Rep http://towneforcongress.com/lots-more/in-the-media

Someone has to try to change things, and while you are correct - I can't promise a win in the election - I am going to give it my very best. If you have any questions - or ideas!! - I'd be glad to hear them jaketowne AT gmail

In liberty,
Jake

I don't have an aversion to libertarian candidates, I just don't consider third party runs to be an effective method of winning elections, barring a major additional variable such as fame or wealth.

Cowlesy
12-30-2009, 10:35 AM
Good luck Jake!!

bobbyw24
12-30-2009, 11:59 AM
Someone has to try to change things, and while you are correct - I can't promise a win in the election - I am going to give it my very best. If you have any questions - or ideas!! - I'd be glad to hear them jaketowne AT gmail

In liberty,
Jake

Well said Jake--you're taking OUR message to the streets/neighborhoods and not just the Internet

ctiger2
12-30-2009, 12:27 PM
Jakes speech at the Fed is really inspiring. It's nice to have someone running who really understands the roots of our problems. As Ron Paul said, whoever controls the money has the power.

Nathan Hale
12-30-2009, 06:50 PM
Dear Nathan Hale -

I am running as an independent private citizen, which was reached after quite a bit of thought last year in regards to the specific situation of the race in conjunction with the message I have. In hindsight, this decision is looking pretty good. I do agree with your comment on third party candidates on 2008 and the 20+ years beforehand, but in 2010 - and especially 2012 nationally - it remains to be seen. I have the right message - check out the Open Office idea on my website - and am doing all I can to be competitive.

Yes, it remains to be seen, but that doesn't mean we should just ignore history and plow ahead because "hey, you never know". A Congressional race consumes a lot of donor money and activist hours - if the limit of your idea that things will be different in 2010 is "you never know", then perhaps you should re-think your strategy, because we need every activist hour and donor dollar that we can get.

We look to the past because it is prologue. And the past is populated by third party and independent candidates, all of whom thought the time was right for third party candidates, and all of whom learned otherwise. Perhaps the time is right for independents, but your reasoning had better run deeper than some off-chance.

My mission statement also includes spreading the message of liberty, and I am probably doing that more effectively per the dollar than any other campaign out there because I (and volunteers!!!) have donated my time into this effort since May 2009 when the campaign started. I've probably already managed to directly reach 10% of the voters, that is 45,000+ and I still have 10 months to go.
http://towneforcongress.com/mission/mission-statement

If education is the goal, you're crippling yourself by organizing your effort under the guise of an electoral race. The only reason a person should run for office is a desire to win the seat. Education is better served in other forms.

Jake Towne
12-30-2009, 08:38 PM
Dear Nathan -
You can do as you wish, but I did not dedicate 18 months of my life to winning this race lightly or naively. I appreciate both your candor and opinion with your remark on winning vs. education, but I will still act per the mission statement I referenced.

1. Spread my message of prosperity by defending freedom and peace.
2. Educate as well as learn from the public.
3. Win the 15th District U.S. Congressional seat in 2010.
4. Truly represent the citizens of the district by voting on their behalf.
5. Create and drive new legislation in agreement with the platform, my principles, and citizen input.

Yes, it remains to be seen, but that doesn't mean we should just ignore history and plow ahead because "hey, you never know". A Congressional race consumes a lot of donor money and activist hours - if the limit of your idea that things will be different in 2010 is "you never know", then perhaps you should re-think your strategy, because we need every activist hour and donor dollar that we can get.

We look to the past because it is prologue. And the past is populated by third party and independent candidates, all of whom thought the time was right for third party candidates, and all of whom learned otherwise. Perhaps the time is right for independents, but your reasoning had better run deeper than some off-chance.

If education is the goal, you're crippling yourself by organizing your effort under the guise of an electoral race. The only reason a person should run for office is a desire to win the seat. Education is better served in other forms.

Flash
01-27-2010, 05:39 PM
Today the incumbent released some startling numbers from a recent poll. Scott Kraus of the Morning Call reported my total as "stunningly high" and he is correct - it is a tribute to both the hard work of the campaign's volunteers in spreading the message so far, and the growing discontent of the district with the Washington, DC establishment.

This is impressive since it is still quite early in the election season, and I have not been able to spread the message to a high amount of residents just yet - we obviously have 92% left to cover - and I have not yet even begun to fight.

Meanwhile, my Republocrat opponent bickers over tanning salon laws while the dollar collapses. The emperors are fiddling while Rome burns.

http://www.nolanchart.com/article7312.html

libertybrewcity
01-28-2010, 12:28 AM
Dear Nathan -
You can do as you wish, but I did not dedicate 18 months of my life to winning this race lightly or naively. I appreciate both your candor and opinion with your remark on winning vs. education, but I will still act per the mission statement I referenced.

1. Spread my message of prosperity by defending freedom and peace.
2. Educate as well as learn from the public.
3. Win the 15th District U.S. Congressional seat in 2010.
4. Truly represent the citizens of the district by voting on their behalf.
5. Create and drive new legislation in agreement with the platform, my principles, and citizen input.

amen, good luck man! I am going to volunteer for a candidate or two this summer and this campaign might be the one! keep up the good work. I will donate to your campaign on the next money bomb. Think about this for a second. If you have only gotten to about 10% of the people and already have eight percent of the vote, you can probably say that for every 10% of the district you talk to, you will be able to receive anywhere from another 4-8%. Just speculating but that would be a win. I hope you can get enough funds to make this a successful campaign. How much do you think would be enough to win?

dr. hfn
01-28-2010, 12:30 AM
bump!