PDA

View Full Version : Intra-libertarian politics

JonCatalan
12-28-2009, 05:07 PM
There has been a growing rift between several libertarian groups, thanks to a few poor comments made by intellectuals of all said groups and sects. Although I do not pretend to justify these comments, I think that the followers of these libertarian think-tanks should take a step back, take a deep breath and re-think the way they approach the task of learning libertarian ideals (economic, political and otherwise). There has been much heat directed at Tom Palmer, and I just wish to clarify the importance he's had (http://www.economicthought.net/2009/12/tom-palmer-is-a-beacon-of-liberty/) on the libertarian movement.

That said, I think he should seriously re-think his ideological opposition to members of the Ludwig von Mises Institute. This is especially true in regards to his accusations of Austrianism being a "religion".

risk_reward
12-28-2009, 06:53 PM
Palmer is just sore because while his beloved Cato institute is now a tool of the state, lew rockwell and the mises institute (which lew rockwell brilliantly led) are the premier beacons of liberty.

While, Palmer is one of the major reasons for the continued irrelevance of the CATO institute to libertarians. He has no credibility among libertarians because he is a war monger.

Epic
12-28-2009, 07:04 PM
I think it's generally good there are differences. There is sort of a division of labor within the libertarian movement.

Some of the absolutist-voluntaryist arguments wouldn't work on some people (especially initially), and so moderate libertarian think thanks work well for bringing some people into the movement. Also, they can get more funds from donors.

Endgame
12-28-2009, 07:26 PM
Palmer is just sore because while his beloved Cato institute is now a tool of the state, lew rockwell and the mises institute (which lew rockwell brilliantly led) are the premier beacons of liberty.

While, Palmer is one of the major reasons for the continued irrelevance of the CATO institute to libertarians. He has no credibility among libertarians because he is a war monger.

Oh yes, we can always count on LRC (catholic social conservatives that hate brown people). Anyone who has had any personal correspondence with their writers (some of whose names I see appearing on the C4L site today, sadly) knows this is true. Lew has been out to create a schism from the start. It'd be nice to never hear "paleo"-anything again. A rotten leftover from when Rothbard went senile at best. At worst? Well, it wouldn't surprise me if he was a fucking fed like Hal Turner. Or maybe he really doesn't have the damn sense to see that pandering to 88's isn't a good idea.

paulpwns
12-28-2009, 07:32 PM
Owned?

But why are you here if you hate Ron Paul and LR?

risk_reward
12-28-2009, 07:36 PM
Oh yes, we can always count on LRC (catholic social conservatives that hate brown people). Anyone who has had any personal correspondence with their writers (some of whose names I see appearing on the C4L site today, sadly) knows this is true. Lew has been out to create a schism from the start. It'd be nice to never hear "paleo"-anything again. A rotten leftover from when Rothbard went senile at best. At worst? Well, it wouldn't surprise me if he was a fucking fed like Hal Turner. Or maybe he really doesn't have the damn sense to see that pandering to 88's isn't a good idea.

So, the best you can come up with is that Lew Rockwell privately hates brown people? Whether he does or not, all I know is that the views he presents on his website will help anyone no matter how YOU want to stereotype people.

So, he is scared of brown people and you are scared of Catholics. Somehow this matters?

brandon
12-28-2009, 07:42 PM
So, the best you can come up with is that Lew Rockwell privately hates brown people? Whether he does or not, all I know is that the views he presents on his website will help anyone no matter how YOU want to stereotype people.

So, he is scared of brown people and you are scared of Catholics. Somehow this matters?

+1

Rockwell is a hero and an intellectual giant.

mtj458
12-28-2009, 09:39 PM
I thought it was a very good article. I wish more people could see that both organizations have done plenty of good and refrain from picking sides. Pretty much everyone I've met from Cato has been pretty inline with Austrian thinking.

angelatc
12-28-2009, 09:51 PM
+1

Rockwell is a hero and an intellectual giant.

If h was a hero he would have stood up when the newsletter nonsense broke.

Freedom 4 all
12-28-2009, 11:56 PM
While we have some differences in ideology and worldview, it is important to remember we are FAR more like each other than we are like mainline Dems or Repubs. We must unite to fight our common enemies. When those demons are vanquished, we can afford to hammer out our internal differences but for now we must stand together.

JonCatalan
12-29-2009, 12:38 AM
He has no credibility among libertarians because he is a war monger.

In what sense?