PDA

View Full Version : Twitter is the epitomy of libertarianism

Matt Collins
12-26-2009, 11:28 PM
How Users Took Over Twitter:
http://www.wired.com/magazine/2009/10/ff_twitter

...users may not embrace Twitter’s attempts at improvement. Every move the company makes comes under harsh scrutiny. Tech legend Dave Winer, who describes himself as one of the site’s biggest fans, was alarmed by the company’s ability to alienate its core users in such a way. “We need to get that power out of their hands,” he wrote on his blog.

Unbelievably, Twitter doesn’t even make an app for cell phones or other mobile gadgets, basically ceding that development to outsiders. “It’s nice to have the ecosystem out there innovating,” says Kevin Thau, the Twitter exec in charge of mobile. “It has created this whole communications system where people are saying, ‘What Twitter client do you use? Which one do you like?’”

The strength of Twitter is that the company already has thousands of people defining and redefining it every day

. Essentially, Twitter left a ball and a stick in a field and lurked on the sidelines as its users invented baseball.

Matt Collins
12-26-2009, 11:29 PM
Remember that spontaneous order is what the market is based upon and is the result of lack of central control/planning.

revolutionisnow
12-27-2009, 01:33 AM
Twitter is people willingly signing up for 1984.

christagious
12-27-2009, 01:41 AM
epitome

LibertyEagle
12-27-2009, 02:10 AM
Derail has been moved here:
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=224325

t0rnado
12-27-2009, 02:15 AM
There wouldn't be a character limit if it was truly free!

jbuttell
12-27-2009, 03:22 AM
Twitter is people willingly signing up for 1984.

I do see your point, but when done willingly, it's far from 1984.

Matt Collins
12-27-2009, 12:43 PM
epitome
Whoops, I feel like a moron. The spell checker in FireFox doesn't work in the "title" bar :(:o

Anti Federalist
12-27-2009, 12:49 PM
Will someone please explain to me wtf twitter is, other than a group text messaging service.

Am I missing something here? I've asked this before and never a got clear answer.

Annihilia
12-27-2009, 12:52 PM
Twitter is as useful as tits on a bull.

I think I used it for a month before it got old. The only reason why it's still in the spotlight is because of the MSM's love affair with it. It's like how they were with Second Life.

Matt Collins
12-27-2009, 01:06 PM
Twitter is great for knowing what's going on. It's kind of the opposite of Google. Google is slow and large, Twitter is small and fast. When a lot of Tweets start discussing the same thing you know that something's up. Whereas Google takes a while to index things.

Annihilia
12-27-2009, 01:10 PM
Twitter is great for knowing what's going on. It's kind of the opposite of Google. Google is slow and large, Twitter is small and fast. When a lot of Tweets start discussing the same thing you know that something's up. Whereas Google takes a while to index things.

I suppose, but if you want breaking headlines quickly, might as well subscribe to /r/libertarian on reddit.