PDA

View Full Version : Tea Party Sectarianism?

bobbyw24
12-26-2009, 08:23 AM
Tea Party Purge -- A Cause Without a Rebel

By Lawrence Samuels
Published 12/26/09

The Tea Party movement has reconnected the cooperation between conservatives and libertarians that harks back to their mutual opposition to FDR’s big government days. But a host of these newly forged alliances have failed to take hold. There is an undercurrent of ill-fitting philosophies and anti-intellectual clashes that suggest freedom is not always brewing in many Tea Parties. One example of a Tea Party divorcing its libertarian brethren recently occurred in Monterey California.

I helped create a nine-member board for the Monterey County Tea Party after an April 15 demonstration that attracted 600 sign-carrying protestors. The match seemed perfect. We all agreed on a mission statement that supported smaller government, lower taxes, the US Constitution and the Bill of Rights. The libertarians wanted to include a non-interventionist plank, but, under pressure, were willing to forgo it for the sake of a peaceful alliance.

But after a successful 4^th of July Tea Party parade and Freedom Rally in Monterey, the cracks in the alliance split wide open. I was accused of belonging to too many leftist organizations. In fact, I am co-chair of the local Libertarians for Peace, which joined the 27-member Monterey County Peace Coalition to protest the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. But Libertarians for Peace is neither Left nor Right.

http://www.campaignforliberty.com/article.php?view=477

Austrian Econ Disciple
12-26-2009, 06:34 PM
Ron Paul Forums sectarianism. I notice it here too :p At least I get along cordially with everyone here (Just about) :D

Liberty Star
12-26-2009, 06:36 PM
Split between TP-Neocon and TP-Libertarian sects was long coming.