PDA

View Full Version : McCain, GOP secretly courting another Dem to switch

bobbyw24
12-25-2009, 06:27 PM
Republicans are stepping up their efforts to persuade more House Democrats to switch parties and are zeroing in on a second-term Pennsylvanian who acknowledged the efforts but said he has "no plans" to do so.

Democratic Rep. Chris Carney received a phone call Wednesday from Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) asking him to consider becoming a Republican, a top GOP official told POLITICO.

Carney's office at first did not comment other than to acknowledge the call, but Carney released a statement Wednesday night saying, in part, "I appreciate the Republican Party's outreach, but I have no plans to change parties."

DCCC Chair Chris Van Hollen spoke to Carney Wednesday and received assurance that the Pennsylvanian was not switching, according to a senior Democratic aide.

Speaker Nancy Pelosi's aides talked to Carney staffers, as well, and received the same assurance.

In a brief interview, McCain declined to offer details about his conversation with Carney.

“I just said, ‘Whatever you do, I know that you’ll make the right decision for the country,’” said the Arizonan.

A source familiar with the call said that Republicans thought Carney might be susceptible to McCain’s entreaty because, like the senator, the 50-year-old House member served in the Navy .

McCain’s call to Carney comes one day after freshman Alabama Democrat Parker Griffith announced that he was uncomfortable with his party’s direction and was becoming a Republican.

In his statement Wedneday, Carney also said: "I am flattered by the overtures of Sen. McCain and other Republican Party officials and consider their outreach a sure sign that I have worked in a truly bipartisan manner. I always put my district above political party and have maintained an independent voice. I have enjoyed widespread Republican support throughout my district and will continue to work closely with Democrats, Republicans and independents alike."

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1209/30942.html

angelatc
12-25-2009, 06:30 PM
<bangs head> Like we don't have enough Democrats in the GOP.

Freaking McCain was considering changing parties not 3 years ago.

torchbearer
12-25-2009, 06:33 PM

Freaking McCain was considering changing parties not 3 years ago.

waiting for lieberman.

TCE
12-25-2009, 06:33 PM
They have a better chance switching Bobby Bright (R-AL). He, along with Parker Griffith, has voted against every major bill that the Democrats have put forth, additionally, his district is R+16.

sparebulb
12-25-2009, 07:02 PM

I would like to nominate this as being the most succinct and valid statement of the year.

sofia
12-25-2009, 07:27 PM
these guys would make great republicans...theye are about 5% less leftist than Obama is....they 'll fit right into McCain's GOP

what McCain is doing is preventing these vulnerable seats from falling into the hands of regular , somewhat, conservatives.

UK4Paul
12-25-2009, 07:29 PM
Doesn't this just show up the two party power duopoly for what it is?

erowe1
12-25-2009, 07:34 PM
Every single Dem should switch to Republican. They'd fit right in. Then they can stop pretending to give us a real choice.

CaseyJones
12-25-2009, 07:36 PM
I would like to nominate this as being the most succinct and valid statement of the year.

Seconded

phill4paul
12-25-2009, 07:42 PM
Every single Dem should switch to Republican. They'd fit right in. Then they can stop pretending to give us a real choice.

seconded

Dunedain
12-25-2009, 09:24 PM
waiting for lieberman.

exactly what I was thinking. They are buddies I believe.

phill4paul
12-25-2009, 09:28 PM
It doesn't matter. It is all one and the same. Partisan politics = subjugation.