PDA

View Full Version : Report: Man tried to blow up plane; device failed

Son of Detroit
12-25-2009, 05:51 PM
Just saw on my local news.... A man tried to blow up a plane heading to Detroit but failed.

He's being detained.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_airliner_disturbance

WASHINGTON – U.S. officials say a Northwest Airlines passenger from Nigeria said he was acting on behalf of al-Qaida when he tried to blow up a flight Friday as it landed in Detroit.
Rep. Peter King, R-N.Y., identified the suspect as Abdul Mudallad, a Nigerian. King said the flight began in Nigeria and went through Amsterdam en route to Detroit.
One of the U.S. intelligence officials said the explosive device was a mix of powder and liquid. It failed when the passenger tried to detonate it.
The passenger was being questioned Friday evening.
Both of the officials spoke on condition of anonymity because the investigation was continuing.
The motive of the Christmas Day attack was not immediately clear.

devil21
12-25-2009, 05:54 PM
We posted at the same time.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=224220

Kool-aid to be added to banned items list by TSA.

GunnyFreedom
12-25-2009, 05:56 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,581153,00.html

Passenger Ignites Explosive on Delta Flight, Al Qaeda Connection Reported
Friday, December 25, 2009
PrintShareThis
A male passenger possibly linked to terrorist organization Al Qaeda ignited a powdery substance prior to landing on a Delta Airlines flight to Detroit Friday, Fox News confirmed. The man is believed to be Nigerian.

Several people were hurt and one person, possibly the suspect, was admitted to the University of Michigan Medical Center at Ann Arbor, hospital spokeswoman Tracy Justice said. An emergency was declared aboard the flight, operated as Northwest flight 253, according to a Federal Aviation Administration spokesperson.

http://www.katu.com/news/80117752.html

AP sources: Al-Qaida link in failed plane attack

Update: White House official says airline incident was attempted act of terrorism.

_________

WASHINGTON (AP) - U.S. officials say a Northwest Airlines passenger from Nigeria said he was acting on behalf of al-Qaida when he tried to blow up a flight Friday as it landed in Detroit.

Rep. Peter King, R-N.Y., identified the suspect as Abdul Mudallad, a Nigerian. King said the flight began in Nigeria and went through Amsterdam en route to Detroit.

One of the U.S. intelligence officials said the explosive device was a mix of powder and liquid. It failed when the passenger tried to detonate it.

Son of Detroit
12-25-2009, 05:58 PM
I find it odd how none of the major news networks are all over this.

They cover the balloon boy non-stop the whole day, yet a potential terrorist attack only gets a 30 second mention on Fox.

Matt Collins
12-25-2009, 06:06 PM

They cover the balloon boy non-stop the whole day, yet a potential terrorist attack only gets a 30 second mention on Fox.
Fox News is all over it now.

Matt Collins
12-25-2009, 06:07 PM
Friggin great... I get to fly cross country next week. Guess it's extra cavity search time for everyone again! Grr... not sure who is worse, the terrorists or the government.

JK/SEA
12-25-2009, 06:09 PM
Not much about the Pope either.

GunnyFreedom
12-25-2009, 06:10 PM
Friggin great... I get to fly cross country next week. Guess it's extra cavity search time for everyone again! Grr... not sure who is worse, the terrorists or the government.

well, you could always draw a cute girl with little hands... :eek: of course, chances are it will either be nurse ratchet with gout, or Ahhhnold Svartzenegger....

YumYum
12-25-2009, 06:16 PM

Just make sure when you spread 'em and they are checking your "cavity" from behind that there is only one hand on your shoulder and not two!:D

Son of Detroit
12-25-2009, 06:21 PM
well, you could always draw a cute girl with little hands... :eek: of course, chances are it will either be nurse ratchet with gout, or Ahhhnold Svartzenegger....

If Megan Fox was the attendant, I would be flying with metal in my underwear all day long... ;)

angelatc
12-25-2009, 06:28 PM
Wow. For me, near Detroit, this morphed from an account of "some goofball with fireworks" to "terrorist trying to blow up a plane!" in less than an hour.

Don't believe everything the press tells you.

phill4paul
12-25-2009, 06:32 PM
If Megan Fox was the attendant, I would be flying with metal in my underwear all day long... ;)

Start at 3:57 :D:D:D

YouTube - This is Spinal Tap - The funny bits (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeGteg74mjw)

devil21
12-25-2009, 06:35 PM
Wow. For me, near Detroit, this morphed from an account of "some goofball with fireworks" to "terrorist trying to blow up a plane!" in less than an hour.

Don't believe ANYTHING the press tells you. Research the issue and form your own opinion. The press is not working for you and they will always default to the most "OMGZZZZ!!!" type headline they can think of, in the absence of facts.

Matt Collins
12-25-2009, 06:41 PM

Yeah I laughed when I heard it the first time too. Then I saw Fox starting to break into their Christmas programming so I knew something a bit more important was up.

But in all seriousness, it just goes to show that government security is incompetent. They couldn't keep this guy and his chemicals off the plane. Who stopped him? The People stopped him. The government sure is doing things to keep us safe, right? :rolleyes:

jbrace
12-25-2009, 07:23 PM
hmm.. I really think this event deserves some attention, because the US media has turned it from small fireworks to an explosives with links to Al-Qaeda in the matter of hours. The original report I read..

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/breaking-news/world/firecracker-set-off-on-us-plane-14612547.html

Crowish
12-25-2009, 08:05 PM
yeah that didn't take long
http://www.emergencyemail.org/newsemergency/anmviewer.asp?a=443

cindy25
12-25-2009, 08:11 PM
CNN had it on their ticker until about an hour ago, then went live.
I think their employees were off for the holidays.

this is so strange. How does a Muslim from a 3rd world country with Yemeni stamps in his passport so easily get a US visa?

Danke
12-25-2009, 08:12 PM
"It's frustrating if you don't want to keep your country safe," he said. "We can't have what's going on everywhere else happening here."

:rolleyes:

Matthew Zak
12-25-2009, 09:17 PM
Wow, Al-Qaida really lowered their standards. In 2001 they went for the most important cities in the country, and they follow that up in 2009 with an attack on... Detroit?

Maybe we're winning this "War" after all. lol

Matthew Zak
12-25-2009, 09:17 PM
No offense Detroit.

Dunedain
12-25-2009, 09:22 PM
Great. What country are we invading next?

phill4paul
12-25-2009, 09:29 PM

What does Nigeria have to offer?

GunnyFreedom
12-25-2009, 09:30 PM

Presidents?

ETA: Sorry, that's Kenya.

Son of Detroit
12-25-2009, 09:30 PM
Wow, Al-Qaida really lowered their standards. In 2001 they went for the most important cities in the country, and they follow that up in 2009 with an attack on... Detroit?

Maybe we're winning this "War" after all. lol

:mad:

kpitcher
12-25-2009, 09:38 PM
Since Detroit has a huge immigrant society it could have been a way to avoid detection. Or maybe just cheaper airfare. I'm in Michigan, who in their right mind would WANT to come here? :)

Of course the tin foil hat wearing part of me is thinking - wow, great timing. Now the surge in Afghanistan will be encouraged.

Matthew Zak
12-25-2009, 09:48 PM
:mad:

:eek:

I need a snickers bar.

Matt Collins
12-25-2009, 09:56 PM
YouTube - 9/28/09 Judge Napolitano on Iran War Rhetoric (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=or0UDnpL7cE)

Pauliana
12-25-2009, 11:06 PM
Since Detroit has a huge immigrant society it could have been a way to avoid detection. Or maybe just cheaper airfare. I'm in Michigan, who in their right mind would WANT to come here? :)

Of course the tin foil hat wearing part of me is thinking - wow, great timing. Now the surge in Afghanistan will be encouraged.

Or maybe we should invade Nigeria too... Can someone explain to me, using the same logic that we invaded Afghanistan, why the same wouldn't apply to Nigeria now?

Isaac Bickerstaff
12-25-2009, 11:57 PM
Al Qaida

I smell bullshit.

t0rnado
12-25-2009, 11:59 PM
December 25th

Never Forget.

devil21
12-26-2009, 01:37 AM

Scammers good enough for Wall Street.

phill4paul
12-26-2009, 01:40 AM
Scammers good enough for Wall Street.

Lulz.. I see the connection now. I'll be damned those scammers are funding Al Queda.
The big picture is now in focus.
I knew someone on RPFs coulda broken it down for me.:)

devil21
12-26-2009, 01:45 AM
Lulz.. I see the connection now. I'll be damned those scammers are funding Al Queda.
The big picture is now in focus.
I knew someone on RPFs coulda broken it down for me.:)

Since Americans are cutting back on their scam contributions due to the recession, the best Al Qaeda could manage was some bottle rockets strapped to a Nigerian's leg for a 20 hour flight, to be set off before landing in Detroit. Al Qaeda sure has lost their mojo.

BlackTerrel
12-26-2009, 02:06 AM

It's over and done. How much is there to say? Balloon Boy was live and made for dramatic television.

Not saying it's right. But newsmedia is a business like any other - and right now they are bleeding for cash.

BlackTerrel
12-26-2009, 02:32 AM
hmm.. I really think this event deserves some attention, because the US media has turned it from small fireworks to an explosives with links to Al-Qaeda in the matter of hours. The original report I read..

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/breaking-news/world/firecracker-set-off-on-us-plane-14612547.html

I have no idea what happened here and would like to learn more before I comment further. I am, however, frustrated when people say "oh the story keeps changing that is a sign of a coverup". Every story changes as it unfolds, that is how it works with 24/7 news coverage.

The Tiger Woods story went from a car accident, to one mistress, to five mistresses, to 13 mistresses... to potentially a love child or HGH. Doesn't mean something is amiss, that is simply how stories unfold.

Healthy skepticism is good, but I don't buy a lot of these "aha we caught them" stories either.

cindy25
12-26-2009, 02:50 AM
Nigeria is the largest oil exporter in Africa. the Niger Delta area is bigger than Saudi.
and Yemen borders Saudi.

jbrace
12-26-2009, 12:09 PM
I have no idea what happened here and would like to learn more before I comment further. I am, however, frustrated when people say "oh the story keeps changing that is a sign of a coverup". Every story changes as it unfolds, that is how it works with 24/7 news coverage.

The Tiger Woods story went from a car accident, to one mistress, to five mistresses, to 13 mistresses... to potentially a love child or HGH. Doesn't mean something is amiss, that is simply how stories unfold.

Healthy skepticism is good, but I don't buy a lot of these "aha we caught them" stories either.

Yes I completely agree! I just fear that if this is an actual attempt of an attack, that its just gonna make the government need more security and more measures that strip us of our liberties.Which seems to be the only solution they provide. It also just proves how incompetent government security is. Also, I hate getting my news from the U.S. media cause those who control it can bend and shape it all they want.

Athan
12-26-2009, 01:30 PM
Just saw on my local news.... A man tried to blow up a plane heading to Detroit but failed.

He's being detained.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_airliner_disturbance

You know, last night I had a dream about this. In the dream I heard the news Christmas night and said to myself "Ah.. it was probably a result of bad customer service." Then when I heard the update which would have been this morning on DailyPaul. The udpate was a news shocker and stated that the three dudes were: Ben Bernenke, Hank Paulson, and a Fed Board Governor and I said "Holy crap! It was terrorists!!

lol

pacelli
12-26-2009, 01:39 PM
Imagine what would have happened if we brought all of our troops home.

rpfan2008
12-26-2009, 01:41 PM
What was the need for this now?

Are they trying to simulate the 9/11 truth explosion?

or just familiarizing Americans with a probable new target, Nigeria?

But one thing is for sure, TPTB are afraid now, they didn't blow up the plane this time. They knew it would bring far more public scrutiny into the evidence linking the attackers to any country/group this time. Credit goes to 9/11 truth movement.

woot!!

angelatc
12-26-2009, 02:04 PM
Imagine what would have happened if we brought all of our troops home.

We have to also stop enabling Israel.

rpfan2008
12-26-2009, 02:07 PM
Some are saying it was some fire crackers:

Al-Qaeda Wannabe Lights Fireworks on Airliner (http://news.antiwar.com/2009/12/25/minor-explosion-on-detroit-bound-plane-creates-major-commotion/)

RevolutionSD
12-26-2009, 02:08 PM

The government are the terrorists.

YumYum
12-26-2009, 02:23 PM
What proof is there that al Qaeda even exist? Even if it had existed before, it would be compared to the original KKK, which was founded by Nathan Bedford Forrest in 1866 and disbanded in 1868. Any organization claiming to be al Qaeda today is a copycat wannabe, and not the real deal. The original al Qaeda disbanded and went back to running convenience stores and liquor stores in Southern California.

Romulus
12-26-2009, 02:52 PM
I smell bullshit.

its alway Al Queda.. the swiss army knife of terror.

its a good scare tactic for divert away from the ass-raping of the healthcare they're ramming thru though.

ibaghdadi
12-26-2009, 02:52 PM

...Which is why I doubt the official story, or at least doubt that Al-Qaeda is in any way connected. Could be just some insane dude acting alone. I mean, if Al-Qaeda wanted to launch a campaign of urban terrorism, like what Hamas waged against Israel in '93-'97, we would have known about it already.

I guess we won't know the real story until much later. As usual.

For those who asked what Nigeria has, well it has oil. Hmmm...

Iyad

devil21
12-26-2009, 04:00 PM
its alway Al Queda.. the swiss army knife of terror.

its a good scare tactic for divert away from the ass-raping of the healthcare they're ramming thru though.

And the complete nationalization of Fannie and Freddie, through *unlimited* taxpayer funding. Ignore that you and your grandchildren were just put on the hook for EVERY failed mortgage in the country for the next three years and instead pay attention to the Nigerian man with bottle rockets strapped to his legs.

And of course the masses are eating this shit up like it's 9/11 all over again.

BlackTerrel
12-26-2009, 06:59 PM
What was the need for this now?

Are they trying to simulate the 9/11 truth explosion?

or just familiarizing Americans with a probable new target, Nigeria?

But one thing is for sure, TPTB are afraid now, they didn't blow up the plane this time. They knew it would bring far more public scrutiny into the evidence linking the attackers to any country/group this time. Credit goes to 9/11 truth movement.

woot!!

You did it! You saved countless lives! Good job!

rpfan2008
12-26-2009, 07:04 PM
You did it! You saved countless lives! Good job!

get an ounce. won't hurt your neck.

Dojo
12-27-2009, 04:42 AM
Here's whats being reported...........

Suspect was on watch list

Suspect paid for ticket with cash

Suspects father notified officals of suspects radical behavior

Suspect bought one way ticket

This guy had red flags all over him........YET our Home Land Security OKAY'D the flight after checking the international passenger list. They act surprised that "this guy pulled this off"

Now, instead of admitting incompetence, or firing the idiot that ok'd the flight, passengers will pay for this failure.

Knee-Jerk reactions like this also being reported.........

You Can not leave your seat the hour before landing

No blankets or pillows, or anything in your lap.

Only one carry-on, that you can't access an hour before landing.

Feel safer now?

Liberty Star
12-27-2009, 12:18 PM
Now, instead of admitting incompetence, or firing the idiot that ok'd the flight, passengers will pay for this failure.

Knee-Jerk reactions like this also being reported.........

You Can not leave your seat the hour before landing

No blankets or pillows, or anything in your lap.

Only one carry-on, that you can't access an hour before landing.

Feel safer now?

Richard Reed's shoe rigging had instantly led to new policy around the world where now pessengers have to take their shoes off. News reports have cited this guy having attached some materials to his legs / crotch, this would probably lead to more pat down searches around the world. It's good thing that strip down search is not one of the knee jerk ractions, that would make travel very inconvenient.

Danke
12-27-2009, 12:24 PM
http://www.tsa.gov/blog/uploaded_images/bag_check-707533.png

Matt Collins
12-27-2009, 12:54 PM
http://media.ebaumsworld.com/mediaFiles/picture/545465/722591.jpg

YouTube - TSA Gangstaz (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7AWw7t5zj0)