PDA

View Full Version : What is the deal here?

Orwell1984
12-25-2009, 03:41 PM
What the heck is going on with the fund-raising for RJ Harris. I've donated to this man's campaign twice. And I look at his website and he has a piddly $33,000. This man needs at least $100,000 just to get seriously talked about in the local paper.

How is it that we can build enough energy to raise $150,000-$200,000+ for Rand Paul and Peter Schiff, and we can barely get $100,000 for congressional election that are cheaper and easier to win than Senate elections.

I'm gonna go off on a limb here and say that RJ Harris probably has a better shot at winning his election than Peter Schiff. Don't get me wrong, I support Schiff, but he is going up against some serious financial heavy weights in the GOP Primary, and then still has to slay Chris Dodd in final election. But somehow the liberty movement is energized enough to donate serious sums of money to Schiff (and they should, don't get me wrong). Meanwhile, RJ Harris is in a decent position to win, he just don't have the money.

Look at his website, it looks amateurish. If your an average Joe, who has little or no involvement in politics, isn't apart of the Ron Paul Revolution, and see that website, what would you think? The content and message is great, but people are shallow and judge things by it's surface. RJ Harris needs a more professional looking website. If we get him at least $100,000, then he can can have a more professional looking website like Rand Paul, Peter Schiff, and Adam Kokesh. And a more professional website attracts more DONATIONS.

I really think we need to get more aggressive with our fund-raising. Okay, I'm done ranting...

LibertyEagle
12-25-2009, 04:14 PM
After he published that rant dissing Rand Paul, I was done. I wish him well, but my donations are going elsewhere.

Orwell1984
12-25-2009, 04:34 PM
After he published that rant dissing Rand Paul, I was done. I wish him well, but my donations are going elsewhere.

Really, I never saw or heard of this rant dissing Rand Paul.

Austrian Econ Disciple
12-25-2009, 05:38 PM
Really, I never saw or heard of this rant dissing Rand Paul.

Don't listen to LE. RJ sided with the Judge while Rand wants to keep Guantanamo open and try KSM and the others there in military tribunals, instead of following the Constitution where it says they must be tried in the place of the crime (NYC).

It was a contentious debate.

evilfunnystuff
12-25-2009, 05:39 PM
i donated 2 times as well though they were small donations and not recent

i was hopin to do a round of donations to rj kokesh and shiff but have been getting hammered with all kinds of stuff from new things wrong with my truck to a notice that if i didnt pay some school taxes from 1998 by the dec 23 that legal action was going to start hopefully when i get my tax refund in a month or 2 ill be able to kick a bit more out but for the moment i cant do nothin

well what was it about, did it have merit ?

i know there are a few things im dissapointed in rand over.

gotta link?

Orwell1984
12-25-2009, 06:02 PM
i donated 2 times as well though they were small donations and not recent

i was hopin to do a round of donations to rj kokesh and shiff but have been getting hammered with all kinds of stuff from new things wrong with my truck to a notice that if i didnt pay some school taxes from 1998 by the dec 23 that legal action was going to start hopefully when i get my tax refund in a month or 2 ill be able to kick a bit more out but for the moment i cant do nothin

well what was it about, did it have merit ?

i know there are a few things im dissapointed in rand over.

gotta link?

Here is the only post that I was able to dig up. It doesn't sound that bad to me. I understand RJ Harris' point and Rand Paul's position.
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showpost.php?p=2422765&postcount=2

Nathan Hale
12-29-2009, 12:10 PM
I don't expect RJ and Rand to have identical positions on everything, so I don't care that they have a difference of opinion on Gitmo. My problem with RJ is that he's trying to primary an incumbent, which isn't a good route to victory. That said, I wasn't going to write him off, but I haven't seen polling in a while and his donations are dead in the water, which leads me to think that he's packing it in.

pahs1994
01-09-2010, 01:10 PM

Yea a link to the statement would have helped. Dissagreeing with Rand or Ron on certain issues can be a good thing. Shows that the man can think for himself on some of the more gray areas. I don't 100% agree with them on everything. So variations of the same message are welcome instead of clones of one man. IMO

Some here treat Rand and Ron like they can't be touched or something.

LibertyEagle
01-09-2010, 01:14 PM
Yea a link to the statement would have helped. Dissagreeing with Rand or Ron on certain issues can be a good thing. Shows that the man can think for himself on some of the more gray areas. I don't 100% agree with them on everything. So variations of the same message are welcome instead of clones of one man. IMO

It wasn't the fact that he disagreed with Rand; it was how he said it, when he said it and to whom he said it. I will leave it at that.

Cowlesy
01-09-2010, 01:21 PM

I think the reason RJ Harris hasn't been getting traction is because he's running in a republican primary versus a popular somewhat-conservative congressman (Tom Cole) who voted against the bush bank bailout (amongst all the other crap). I sent him a $50 spot back in April, but absent any real polling data (there was a questionable poll done via some unheard-of organization by most of us that showed RJ doing extremely well), resources are tight with so many candidates, not to mention the economy.

That said, I think R.J. is a fantastic candidate (absent that kind of weird potshot at fellow conservative candidate Rand over Gitmo) just in an overtly challenging race when you don't have major funding. I'm thankful he sucked it up and picked up the torch, just wish there was more we could do (educational campaign wise).

TCE
01-09-2010, 02:00 PM
I think the reason RJ Harris hasn't been getting traction is because he's running in a republican primary versus a popular somewhat-conservative congressman (Tom Cole) who voted against the bush bank bailout (amongst all the other crap). I sent him a $50 spot back in April, but absent any real polling data (there was a questionable poll done via some unheard-of organization by most of us that showed RJ doing extremely well), resources are tight with so many candidates, not to mention the economy.

That said, I think R.J. is a fantastic candidate (absent that kind of weird potshot at fellow conservative candidate Rand over Gitmo) just in an overtly challenging race when you don't have major funding. I'm thankful he sucked it up and picked up the torch, just wish there was more we could do (educational campaign wise).

He actually voted for the bailout. http://www.govtrack.us/congress/vote.xpd?vote=h2008-681

Very basically: RJ would need to raise at least $350,000-$500,000 to even be competitive with Tom Cole. RJ currently has around $25,000, so he is well short. I hope he wins, but this Primary will be tougher than Rand's General+Primary combined.

nobody's_hero
01-09-2010, 02:20 PM
[Nevermind, I just realized that this thread is kind of old. I'll figure it all out for myself]

Cowlesy
01-09-2010, 02:41 PM
He actually voted for the bailout. http://www.govtrack.us/congress/vote.xpd?vote=h2008-681

Very basically: RJ would need to raise at least $350,000-$500,000 to even be competitive with Tom Cole. RJ currently has around $25,000, so he is well short. I hope he wins, but this Primary will be tougher than Rand's General+Primary combined.

Yep you're right, he did vote for that bailout RE: Emergency Economic Stabilization Act of 2008.
http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2008/roll681.xml

It must have been the easier-to-vote-no-on bailouts he voted against.

Cowlesy
01-09-2010, 02:48 PM
[Nevermind, I just realized that this thread is kind of old. I'll figure it all out for myself]

It wasn't really a debate, though there were a few flameouts on this messageboard.

This was R.J.'s letter.
http://www.dailypaul.com/node/115541

The thing that got people upset was we have so few viable candidates, why go after each other especially in completely unrelated races (House Seat in Oklahoma/Senate Seat in Kentucky), the whole idea of "Who needs enemies when we have ourselves?"

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=220032

I think some of our anarchists and libertarian purists who really dislike Rand Paul and use this board to push their ideology saw red and ratcheted up the rhetoric on here, much to the chagrin of many who are working pretty hard to get Rand elected.

It was an ugly spat. There were valid points on both side of the argument, and R.J. certainly penned an intelligent essay, but the last thing many people feel we need to be doing right now is creating schisms because of philosophy and taking shots at others who also are not politicians but willing to pick up the torch and go for it.