PDA

View Full Version : World statistics updated in real time

Old Ducker
12-23-2009, 05:06 PM
Cool link:

http://www.worldometers.info/

Zippyjuan
12-23-2009, 09:28 PM
Some pretty cool info there. Thanks for the link!

Lafayette
12-23-2009, 09:50 PM
Species that have gone extinct this year 135,650

WHAT?!

I wonder if the people who made this site could do a "Number of deaths caused this year by US imperialism"

Mini-Me
12-23-2009, 09:52 PM

WHAT?!

Assuming the number isn't fabricated, they must be including different types of bacteria, etc. Technically speaking, the vast majority of species that have ever lived on Earth are now extinct. Considering the number is so high though, I doubt they're counting individually...they're probably estimating (guesstimating? ;)) based on some mathematical model.

torchbearer
12-23-2009, 09:53 PM
Assuming the number isn't fabricated, they must be including different types of bacteria, etc. Technically speaking, the vast majority of species that have ever lived on Earth are now extinct.

this is what gets me- when an animal pops up that was thought to be extinct years ago. I've seen several articles in the last couple months stating this-

I'm thinking wtf?

t0rnado
12-23-2009, 09:54 PM

WHAT?!

I wonder if the people who made this site could do a "Number of deaths caused this year by US imperialism"

Most of the 135,650 are bacteria, fungi, mushrooms, and plants.

Mini-Me
12-23-2009, 10:00 PM
this is what gets me- when an animal pops up that was thought to be extinct years ago. I've seen several articles in the last couple months stating this-

I'm thinking wtf?

Heheh...they must've been hiding. ;)

You're right though. Unless we were living in an omniscient world, there would be no real way to prove that any particular species has gone entirely extinct. Heck, we can't even conclusively demonstrate that bigfoot doesn't exist. I guess the rule of thumb is, "If we can't find one, they must've gone extinct!" :D

BlackTerrel
12-23-2009, 10:15 PM
Pretty cool link... thanks for posting!