PDA

View Full Version : Tommy K. Cryer seeking damages for defamation

Danke
12-22-2009, 12:05 PM
INTERNET DIATRIBE

LANDS FLORIDA EMAILER IN COURT

SHREVEPORT, LA—In a law suit filed by Louisiana attorney Tommy K. Cryer a Florida woman is being taken to task for distributing an email containing what Cryer’s suit alleges is a string of false and defamatory claims. According to the law suit filed in Shreveport, Louisiana, Rebecca O’Dell Townsend, a St. Petersburg, FL, attorney, published and distributed emails falsely accusing Cryer of being a disbarred tax evader who does not believe there is any such thing as a federal individual income tax.

Cryer, who has been in uninterrupted law practice in Louisiana for over 36 years and who was cleared of tax evasion and willful failure to file charges by a unanimous “not guilty” jury verdict, says "I have no idea what prompted Townsend to fabricate and publish the false statements. Call me old fashioned, but I don't understand why some people feel compelled to lie."

At the time Truth Attack (www.truthattack.org), a non-profit political action organization, which Cryer founded and heads up and whose stated mission is “putting the government back in its box—one tentacle at a time,” was in the process of promoting and conducting seminars for tea party and other political activists on what they called “The Lost Art of Citizenry”. The seminars offered instruction on how to organize and coordinate group activities, how to learn about our rights and government’s limitations, ways to distribute information to the public and inside information on how to influence representatives' and government officials’ actions.

Barely a week before the seven seminars were to begin Townsend published and distributed a blistering mass emailing that was distributed widely across the internet, stating that Cryer was a disbarred tax evader who contended that there is no such thing as a federal individual income tax and that Cryer and those associated with him “have left a wake of destroyed families in their wake.” Cryer said “I am not nor have I ever been disbarred, I am not a tax evader and have never destroyed a family in my life, let alone a 'wake of families', whatever that means.”

Now Cryer has filed suit in Shreveport seeking damages for defamation. Cryer said “I don’t know this woman and have never heard of her before. I don't know why she made up and published all these lies about me and my organization, but I will not sit idly by while someone attempts to destroy an unsullied reputation I have spent a lifetime in building.”

Source: Truth Attack

hq@truthattack.org

Interviews available on request