PDA

View Full Version : Major Libertarian/Conservative Legislation over the last 100 years?

AuH20
12-22-2009, 11:10 AM
Can we think of any? Bill Clinton's welfare reform bill? :D Basically we've been pummeled into the ground by the statists. They shape and frame all policy arguments to their advantage with the help of a complicit media. They indoctrinate our youth in their education 'camps' and stigmatize their opponents as violent troglodytes. Factor in the exagerrations made about Reagan's conservative resurgence, the box score still reads Statists 11 Conservatives/Libertarians 0.

Elwar
12-22-2009, 11:34 AM
Telecommunications Act of 1996

Allowed competition in many areas of telecommunication, ushering in much of the information technology advances of the past 15 years.

erowe1
12-22-2009, 12:01 PM
The end of the draft, the demilitarization after WW2 (which involved a ton of subitems, lifiting various price controls, quotas, regulations, and government spending), repeal of prohibition.

Epic
12-22-2009, 12:43 PM
Airline and trucking deregulation.

Southron
12-22-2009, 03:28 PM
I feel like we take one step forward and two steps back usually.

In fact, as long as our politicians are constantly passing new legislation in Washington it's a losing battle.

Maybe it's just me but it seems like we gain only minor legislative victories and the Statists win major ones.

Stimulus, Medicare prescription drug, No Child (gets an education) Left behind, Patriot Act, Health Care.

It seems recently the best we can do is slow down the inevitable legislation. We couldn't even get Bush's measly Social Security reform-which was about the only thing I was even slightly looking forward to.

RM918
12-22-2009, 03:33 PM
As long as the War Party has a stranglehold on elections, it'll keep going I imagine so long as people remain ignorant.

Matt Collins
12-22-2009, 10:10 PM
American Legislative Exchange Council:
http://www.alec.org/

They are a Jeffersonian think tank for State legislators.

fisharmor
12-22-2009, 10:21 PM
It wasn't legislation, but if AT&T wasn't busted up, lots of things probably never would have happened the way they did... there would be no internet like we have, no RP run for pres in 2008, no libertyforest.com... so I count that as a pretty huge victory.

Let's also not forget about the relaxing of gun laws in the '90s. You can carry pistols legally in most of the US now, even if you have to jump through hoops.