PDA

View Full Version : AL Rep Switches From Dem to GOP

angelatc
12-22-2009, 11:09 AM
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1209/30896.html

POLITICO has learned that Rep. Parker Griffith, a freshman Democrat from Alabama, will announce today that he’s switching parties to become a Republican.

According to two senior GOP aides familiar with the decision, the announcement will take place this afternoon in Griffith's district in northern Alabama.

Griffith’s party switch comes on the eve of a pivotal congressional health care vote and will send a jolt through a Democratic House Caucus that has already been unnerved by the recent retirements of a handful of members who, like Griffith, hail from districts that offer prime pickup opportunities for the GOP in 2010.

The switch represents a coup for the House Republican leadership, which had been courting Griffith since he publicly criticized the Democratic leadership in the wake of raucous town halls during the summer.

Great. The GOP definitely needs more Democrats in the party.

orafi
12-22-2009, 11:11 AM
This should make the GOP slightly more conservative... Sad isn't it?

angelatc
12-22-2009, 11:19 AM
This should make the GOP slightly more conservative... Sad isn't it?

If you read the article, his voting record is more conservative than some members of the GOP.
He has bucked the Democratic leadership on nearly all of its major domestic initiatives, including the stimulus package, health care legislation, the cap-and trade energy bill and financial regulatory reform.

He was one of only 11 House Democrats to vote against the stimulus.

FrankRep
12-22-2009, 11:19 AM
Sounds like a Baseball Team trading players.

:rolleyes:

tangent4ronpaul
12-22-2009, 11:23 AM
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1209/30896.html

Great. The GOP definitely needs more Democrats in the party.

Democrat?

http://griffith.house.gov/index.html

I strongly support and respect the Second Amendment of the United States Constitution, which guarantees all Americans the right to keep and bear arms. Congress should pass no law that infringes on our right to keep and bear arms. I have met with the NRA leadership in Alabama and in Washington, and they know of my unwavering support for gun owners’ rights. In Congress I will fight to protect the rights of law-abiding gun owners in North Alabama and across our nation.

As North Alabama’s first Radiation oncologist, I have spent my career trying to save lives. It would go against everything I have worked for to describe myself as anything but proudly pro-life. Of course, I understand there are extenuating circumstances in any situation, such as a medical situation that threatens the life of the mother, and abortion is never anyone’s first choice. We must take educational and preventative steps to make sure that no one ever has to make such a horrible decision. In Congress, I am working to be an independent voice for life for all of us in North Alabama. While this is one of the most polarizing and emotional issues our country faces, we must look at it from a level-headed point of view.

As a member of the fiscally responsible Blue Dog Coalition, I am committed to a system that makes certain that we account for every dollar we spend. Our federal deficit has spiraled out of control in the past decade, and it is time to get serious about reversing the spending habits of our federal government. I believe that North Alabamians are best served by a thoughtful approach to the budget process, and I am fighting for the accountability and transparency that voters deserve. We must work to prevent increases in our national debt so that we can begin to create a surplus because our national security and stability depend on it.

Illegal immigration is a national security concern that costs our schools, our hospitals and our local governments millions of dollars and must be addressed aggressively by the federal government. Those who do not go through the proper channels to become citizens hurt our communities, drain our local economies and affect our public health. We must respond appropriately to this problem by passing legislation that makes it impossible to enter and stay in our nation illegally. This legislation needs to be tough but understanding, evolving in a timeframe that does not make immediate criminals out of millions of small business owners, allows for businesses to adjust practices, and adequately punishes those who perpetuate one of America’s biggest problems.

etc...

-t

ItsTime
12-22-2009, 11:23 AM
It really changes nothing huh? His voting records was conservative and he was against health care reform bill.

cpike
12-22-2009, 11:35 AM
He seems to be your average republican . I'll note a few negatives . He supported SCHIP, Iran sanctions, and Cash for Clunkers.

angelatc
12-22-2009, 11:36 AM
Here's an editorial on it from Club For Growth. I pretty much agree with his take on it.

http://www.clubforgrowth.org/perm/?postID=12245

Allan Bartlett
12-22-2009, 11:49 AM
This is a similiar scenario to when Ron Paul ran for Congress the second time. He ran against a sitting GOP Congressman in the primary who had just switched to the GOP. Greg Laughlin I believe was his name.

sofia
12-22-2009, 11:52 AM
another opportunistic "convert"

reminds me of this creep from Kentucky who left the Democrat Party after the 1994 anti-Clinton backlash.

You know who I mean....that guy who is trailing Rand Paul by an almost 2-1 margin? I forget his name.

Brett
12-22-2009, 11:54 AM
You know who I mean....that guy who is trailing Rand Paul by an almost 2-1 margin? I forget his name.

Is it this guy? (http://www.jointreygrayson.com/)

bobbyw24
12-22-2009, 07:07 PM
Online Opinion Editor
12/22/09 11:56 AM EST

Last week, after watching the supposed intellectuals of the Left savage Sen. Joe Lieberman, I questioned whether there is any room for moderates in the Democratic Party. Today, we are greeted with news of Rep. Parker Griffith of Alabama switching to the GOP.

That Griffith would opt to become a member of the congressional minority is most unusual. Party-switches usually go the other way. He may be fearful of losing the next election if he runs as a Democrat. But Griffith, who was narrowly elected in an open race last year, has also in recent months criticized the House Democratic leadership for its intransigence and lack of bipartisanship. Writes Josh Kraushaar of Politico:

In August — one month after Republicans picked up his former state legislative seat in a special election — Griffith told a local newspaper that he wouldn't vote for Nancy Pelosi to remain as House Speaker because she's too divisive. He joked that if she didn’t like it, he’d provide her with a gift certificate to a mental health center.

He added that if the Democratic leadership wouldn't commit to working in a more bipartisan manner, "perhaps we should look at altering that."

With Democrats pushing an ambitious and hyper-partisan agenda at the moment, and then losing a member of their party, I wonder whether we'll get the same earnest head-scratching today in the media as we got when Arlen Specter changed parties.

Don't bet on it.

Washington Examiner

james1906
12-22-2009, 08:42 PM
another opportunistic "convert"

reminds me of this creep from Kentucky who left the Democrat Party after the 1994 anti-Clinton backlash.

+1

If this guy represented San Francisco or New York City, it would be a different story.

angelatc
12-22-2009, 09:34 PM
I don't want moderate Republicans in office. If I can't have staunch conservatives, I want moderate libertarians in office, so when they compromise we'll end up with a conservative government.

HOLLYWOOD
12-22-2009, 10:09 PM
Well, the 2 party dichotomy: The Left and Far Left.

It's government first in all their cases... no matter what side. We The People: Lose A Lot or Lose More

Flash
12-22-2009, 10:29 PM
Hopefully more Blue Dogs switch parties.

Matt Collins
12-22-2009, 10:55 PM
Former TNGOP Chair Robin Smith likes this. And she's running for Congress:
http://politics.nashvillepost.com/2009/12/22/robin-smith-loves-party-switchers/

bobbyw24
12-23-2009, 06:07 AM
By Sam Youngman - 12/22/09 02:27 PM ET

White House chief of staff Rahm Emanuel in January contributed $2,000 from his House PAC account to Rep. Parker Griffith (Ala.), who is leaving the Democratic Party to become a Republican.

Before he started working in the Obama administration, Emanuel on Jan. 2 transferred the funds from his "Our Common Values" political action committee to the Alabama lawmaker, according to CQ Money Line.

A White House aide said it is unclear at this point if Emanuel will ask Griffith to return the money.
Rep. Chris Van Hollen (Md.), who heads the House Democrats' campaign arm, called on Tuesday for Griffith to return money he has received from the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee (DCCC).

www.thehill.com