PDA

View Full Version : Eminent Domain - Now Stealing from the Dead!

tangent4ronpaul
12-22-2009, 10:55 AM
http://mystateline.com/content/fulltext/?cid=123932

Judge Rules Chicago Can Seize Cemetery For O'Hare Runway

Monday, Dec 21, 2009 @09:30am CST

(Chicago, IL) -- The city of Chicago has been given the green light to take over a six-acre cemetery that sits in the path of a new runway for O'Hare International Airport.

This, after a judge ruled on Friday that the city could seize the St. Johannes Cemetery through eminent domain and transfer 900 graves.

Attorneys for the cemetery's owners, St. John's United Church of Christ, argued in court filings that the 19th century burial site should, quote, "remain undisturbed until the day of the resurrection of Jesus Christ." They're expected to appeal the ruling even as work continues on the new runway to either side of the cemetery.

-t

jclay2
12-22-2009, 12:21 PM
I was so pissed off when I heard this. Everyone pitch in for the common good, thats the new mantra of the day. Gosh I hope these people can keep fighting to keep the cemetery. Just think of all the people who buried their loved ones there, figuring that they would remain there forever. Another reason to hate Chicago.

Danke
12-22-2009, 12:27 PM
Attorneys for the cemetery's owners...

I'd bet they were ready to settle when the price was right.

Wonder if the dead people will see any of the money?

tangent4ronpaul
12-23-2009, 12:47 AM
looks like a lot of ppl missed this, so blimp!

-t

kpitcher
12-23-2009, 12:53 AM
Being this is Chicago, the dead affected should be sure to vote at least twice to elect new representatives.