PDA

View Full Version : Wikipedia - Propaganda Machine

angelatc
12-21-2009, 07:45 PM
I won't pretend to understand the science, but I am absolutely convinced that if the science was legitimate, there'd be no reason for these Orwellian tactics.

http://network.nationalpost.com/np/blogs/fpcomment/archive/2009/12/19/lawrence-solomon-wikipedia-s-climate-doctor.aspx?CommentPosted=true

U.K. scientist and Green Party activist William Connolley — would take on particularly crucial duties.

Connolley took control of all things climate in the most used information source the world has ever known – Wikipedia. Starting in February 2003, just when opposition to the claims of the band members were beginning to gel, Connolley set to work on the Wikipedia site. He rewrote Wikipedia’s articles on global warming, on the greenhouse effect, on the instrumental temperature record, on the urban heat island, on climate models, on global cooling. On Feb. 14, he began to erase the Little Ice Age; on Aug.11, the Medieval Warm Period. In October, he turned his attention to the hockey stick graph. He rewrote articles on the politics of global warming and on the scientists who were skeptical of the band. Richard Lindzen and Fred Singer, two of the world’s most distinguished climate scientists, were among his early targets, followed by others that the band especially hated, such as Willie Soon and Sallie Baliunas of the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics, authorities on the Medieval Warm Period.

All told, Connolley created or rewrote 5,428 unique Wikipedia articles. His control over Wikipedia was greater still, however, through the role he obtained at Wikipedia as a website administrator, which allowed him to act with virtual impunity. When Connolley didn’t like the subject of a certain article, he removed it — more than 500 articles of various descriptions disappeared at his hand. When he disapproved of the arguments that others were making, he often had them barred — over 2,000 Wikipedia contributors who ran afoul of him found themselves blocked from making further contributions. Acolytes whose writing conformed to Connolley’s global warming views, in contrast, were rewarded with Wikipedia’s blessings.

Romantarchist
12-22-2009, 03:41 AM
Whoa. That is very enlightening. Thank you for showing me this. It's good ammunition.

ramallamamama
12-22-2009, 04:14 AM
RPFs... Stop the propaganda biotches

Bruno
12-22-2009, 07:45 AM
thanks, angelatc - sent this to Drudge

Mini-Me
12-22-2009, 08:19 AM
Good catch, angelatc!

Here is the digg link, broken to uphold tradition and hopefully fend off bury brigade trolls:
http://digg.com
/environment/How_Wikipedia_s_green_doctor_rewrote_5_428_climate _articles

constituent
12-22-2009, 10:12 AM
lol, a picture that melds this guy with Lord Kelvin might be appropriate.

constituent
12-22-2009, 10:58 AM
The guy put up a funny message on his personal webpage with no links to any content that might have formerly been there. However, google has all sorts of stuff from his site cached. Diary entries and what not. I'm reading them right now, and it's pretty funny to view some of this stuff with hindsight.

If you're interested, might gather the info. before it vanishes into the ether.

Lord Xar
12-22-2009, 01:52 PM
Is he the site administrator or owner?

IF he is only the administrator then a full frontal reporting of him to Wikipedia so they get wind of his shennanigans is in line.

Brian4Liberty
12-22-2009, 03:34 PM
According to Wikipedia, he is no longer an Admin...

A July 2006 article in The New Yorker reported that Connolley briefly became "a victim of an edit war over the entry on global warming", in which a skeptic repeatedly "watered down" the article's explanation of the greenhouse effect.[9] The skeptic later brought the case before Wikipedia's arbitration committee, claiming that Connolley was pushing his own point of view in the article by removing material with opposing viewpoints. The arbitration committee imposed a "humiliating one-revert-a-day" editing restriction on Connolley. Wikipedia "gives no privilege to those who know what they’re talking about", Connolley told The New Yorker.[9] The restriction was later revoked, and Connolley went on to serve as a Wikipedia administrator from January 2006[9] until the Wikipedia Arbitration Committee revoked his administrator status on 13 September 2009.[10]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Connolley

angelatc
12-24-2009, 11:29 AM
Is he the site administrator or owner?

IF he is only the administrator then a full frontal reporting of him to Wikipedia so they get wind of his shennanigans is in line.

THe founders of Wikipedia are openly progressive.

Mini-Me
12-24-2009, 11:47 AM
THe founders of Wikipedia are openly progressive.

I thought Jimmy Wales was a self-described Objectivist?