PDA

View Full Version : Avatar: A Visually Stunning and Perfect Historical Allegory

FrankRep
12-21-2009, 10:44 AM
Avatar is James Cameron's stunning epic about a race of blue-colored humaniod native Na'vi inhabiting a moon named Pandora who fight against Earthlings who invade the planet, who are seeking a valuable mineral deposit that lies beneath the Na'vi civilization. by Thomas R. Eddlem

Avatar: A Visually Stunning and Perfect Historical Allegory (http://www.thenewamerican.com/index.php/reviews/movies/2599-avalon-a-visually-stunning-and-perfect-historical-allegory)

Thomas R. Eddlem | The New American (http://www.thenewamerican.com/)
21 December 2009

“You are not in Kansas anymore,” the main antagonist Colonel Miles Quaritch (Stephen Lang) growls out at the beginning of the movie Avatar, “You are on Pandora.”

The movie is about a race of blue-colored humanoid native Na'vi inhabiting a moon named Pandora. Pandora revolves around a gas giant planet of the star Alpha Centauri A, one of the closest stars to our own sun.

Earth has started a colony on the planet 150 years from now and most of the settlers are mining for a rare and valuable mineral called unobtainium “worth 20 million a kilo.” In the way of the mining operation are the peaceful but technologically backward Na'vi, who are still in the bow-and-arrow stage of civilization.

The movie features paralyzed former Marine Jake Sully (Sam Worthington), who has been drawn into the Avatar program after the death of his twin brother. Avatars are remotely controlled, laboratory-grown bodies that are a mix of human and Na'vi DNA. The Avatars can pass as Na'vi and possess all of the native's strengths and dexterity, as well as the Na'vi's ability to breath Pandora's air. The Avatar program began as an innocent scientific program led by Dr. Grace Augustine (Sigourney Weaver), who wanted to study the Na'vi and learn about their civilization.

Sully takes over the Avatar designed for his twin brother because Avatars can only be controlled by those with identical human DNA. “Every driver is linked to his own Avatar,” Sully is told. While in the coffin-shaped Avatar linking chamber, the crippled Sully happily gains full use of the nimble Avatar body.

Colonial soldiers promise him an expensive operation to regain feeling and use of his human legs if he wins the trust of the Na'vi and gives Colonel Quaritch intelligence on how best to conquer the Na'vi. “I need you to learn from the savages from the inside, to gain their trust,” Quaritch tells Sully. Sully at first gives Quaritch information on how the giant tree in the middle of the Na'vi encampment grows in the middle of the mineral deposit, and that the tree is somehow a key to the entire civilization. Later, he begins to sympathize with the native Na'vi.

James Cameron, the movie's director, is perhaps best known for directing the movies Titanic and Terminator, and his latest, Avatar, is a visually stunning epic that is a perfect allegory for any of a dozen or more Indian wars in American history. From King Philip's War in New England to Tippecanoe in Indiana to Horseshoe Bend in Alabama — and all the way across the American continent, for that matter — the story was the same. Colonists simply take land from the natives, as the Sully explains: “This is how it's done. When people are sitting on something that you want, you make them your enemy so that you can drive them out.”

“These savages are threatening the whole operation,” mining company administrator Parker Selfridge (Giovanni Ribisi) explains of the colonists' view of the Na'vi. “Killing them is bad. But there's one thing shareholders hate more than bad press, and that's a bad bottom line.”

One might easily mistake Avatar as a simple tree-hugging movie, but Cameron's world is a complex one where several species are biologically linked to the network of trees in the forest, which act as a collective brain — or giant biological computer — that the colonists are bound to destroy in their efforts to collect the unobtainium under the tree's roots.

The use of Avatars in the attack on the Na'vi also makes a perfect allegory to the Indian wars of America's settlement. Many times the colonists sought the aid of native tribes in order to subdue other more assertive tribes, and the Avatars could be compared to the tribes friendly to the colonists, who were later disposed of in subsequent wars. Divide and conquer was the strategy in the displacement of native Americans, but on Pandora the biological links between the natives makes the issue much more difficult.

In the process of pressing the attack against the Na'vi, Col. Quaritch bellows out many a well-worn slogan of warmongers throughout history. “Our only security lies in preventative attack. We will fight terror with terror,” he says. Preventative attack is the same argument that justified the most recent U.S. war against Iraq, and it is in plot subtleties such as these (and in the CGI graphics) that the movie really shines.

Cameron's original story includes a plan for two more sequels if the first movie is a commercial success. Such a goal is perhaps obtainable after the successful first weekend box office take for the film, favorable reviews, and a substantial buzz. But since it was a mostly-CGI movie and the most expensive movie ever made, profitability may not yet be obtained. Experts have estimated that the movie will have to gross more than three-quarters of a billion dollars just to break even, though it should be stressed that Cameron's Titanic was the first movie to break the billion-dollar mark in revenues.

If the sequels are half as good as the original, it's worth hoping for the first film to succeed in order to have the sequels.

SOURCE:
http://www.thenewamerican.com/index.php/reviews/movies/2599-avalon-a-visually-stunning-and-perfect-historical-allegory

BenIsForRon
12-21-2009, 10:52 AM
What's cool is James Cameron wrote most of this before the current Iraq War.

It was after the Gulf War, though, and that probably had a lot of influence.

LibertyMage
12-21-2009, 10:56 AM
Interesting. Thanks for the review!

newbitech
12-21-2009, 11:00 AM
awesome movie, I saw it opening night and will be going to watch again. The story line is the classical remake of the hero's journey, but the screenplay and visual effects OOHHHH so lovely and EPIC! I just love how the Avatars are 2x's bigger than the humans and the cgi was seemless in depicting this. So of the 3d spots were a little boggling, but it could be that I wasn't perfectly centered on the screen and was really close to the front. (yes I had awful seats).

This has the chance to be Star Wars for the next couple of generations IMO.

Reason
12-21-2009, 01:17 PM
has anyone seen it in an IMAX theater?

Slutter McGee
12-21-2009, 01:24 PM
I have not seen Dances With Smurfs yet.

Sincerely,

Slutter McGee

MelissaWV
12-21-2009, 01:30 PM
I have not seen Dances With Smurfs yet.

Sincerely,

Slutter McGee

Unfair. Smurfs are only three apples high. These are 10 feet tall, which is... I have no idea how many apples that is.

Imperial
12-21-2009, 01:34 PM
I saw this movie, and it was amazing! With so much computerization, they can really control when pathos is used to create an awesome story. The only flaws I think were that the dialogue could have been better in the beginning and the final scene with the colonel could have been done a bit better I think. And the movie's scale is epic, and I think actually succeeded at making it believable (my biggest fault with Atlas Shrugged for another example of an epic literary work for my standard.)

I have thought of two subtitles for Avatar.

OR

Bruno
12-21-2009, 01:37 PM
My only issue with the movie was that the lead scientist was smoking a cigarette 150 years in the future that looked amazingly like a Marlboro red. Not a fan of cigarette ads being placed in movies where they have no logical role in the film.

Reason
12-21-2009, 01:39 PM
My only issue with the movie was that the lead scientist was smoking a cigarette 150 years in the future that looked amazingly like a Marlboro red. Not a fan of cigarette ads being placed in movies where they have no logical role in the film.

I'll bet they got $$$ from someone to do it.

Bruno
12-21-2009, 01:45 PM
I'll bet they got $$$ from someone to do it.

Oh, I don't doubt that for a minute. There may have been other product placements, but I didn't notice them.

This one really took me out of the movie. 150 years from now and we are supposed to believe that cigarettes will still be rolled by the same machines and look identical to today? At the very least they could have made it some futuristic style of cigarette.

Brian4Liberty
12-21-2009, 02:07 PM
most of the settlers are mining for a rare and valuable mineral called unobtainium “worth 20 million a kilo.”

Major flaw in the storyline. We all know that in the future, the new UN/World Bank currency will be devalued (inflated) such that "20 million" would convert to $1 in today's USD... ;)

Romulus
12-21-2009, 02:08 PM
I am skeptical... a huge blockbuster with an anti-war, anti-imperialism message? What was the message hiding underneath that?

JaylieWoW
12-21-2009, 02:10 PM
Oh, and something I didn't notice until reading the above review..

the name of the mineral... UNOBTAINium. LOL Nice one!

JaylieWoW
12-21-2009, 02:11 PM
I am skeptical... a huge blockbuster with an anti-war, anti-imperialism message? What was the message hiding underneath that?

Mother earth & being a good custodian of natural resources. As I said, a previous review I'd read tagged that as the MAJOR theme of the movie however, I did not find that to be the case after actually seeing the movie.

MelissaWV
12-21-2009, 02:13 PM

In all fairness, if we look back at other Cameron movies, they are formulaic on that front. "Aliens" was, under all the chasing and screaming and neat effects, about the corporate asshat going to a planet where he knew there'd be aliens, and trying to bring some home (inside of innocent human hosts) for fun and profit. The military heroes were generally portrayed as pawns.

Terminator 2 had a very distinct "evil corporations trying to steal technology" message to it. Think about SkyNet. The military was ignorant-but-evil in that one.

The Abyss was all about the military taking over a private oil rig and trying to recover nukes, then trying to blow up odd alien creatures out of fear. In that one, the military was very very much the badguy, but he was given the excuse of being crazy.

Romulus
12-21-2009, 02:27 PM
So does the topical message of imperialism provide a cover to promote an occultist 'green' agenda?

Using the military as the bad cop, and the green occult as the good cop?

1000-points-of-fright
12-21-2009, 02:47 PM
It's barely a cover. Every cliché is in this movie. Noble Savage vs Western Imperialism. Gaya worship vs modern technology. Environment vs Industry. Plus, they're not Military. They are corporate mercenaries.

Cameron says this is the movie he's wanted to make since he was 14. It shows cuz it appears to be written by a 14 yr old.

But I have to admit, it was visually stunning.

BenIsForRon
12-21-2009, 02:53 PM
So does the topical message of imperialism provide a cover to promote an occultist 'green' agenda?

Using the military as the bad cop, and the green occult as the good cop?

Get a life man. Some people have a green agenda in their movies because they're tired of seeing ecosystems ravaged by humans for temporary gain. It may be Cameron's way to show love for the planet he lives on. You know, artistic expression. Have you heard of it?

Seriously, I'm tired of people like you looking for a conspiracy in every single piece of media out there. It's always a conspiracy until someone proves its not.

Romulus
12-21-2009, 02:59 PM
wow... unresolved issues.

Mini-Me
12-21-2009, 03:01 PM
Get a life man. Some people have a green agenda in their movies because they're tired of seeing ecosystems ravaged by humans for temporary gain. It may be Cameron's way to show love for the planet he lives on. You know, artistic expression. Have you heard of it?

Seriously, I'm tired of people like you looking for a conspiracy in every single piece of media out there. It's always a conspiracy until someone proves its not.

I don't know that ENDG4M3 necessarily disagrees with you on Cameron's motivation. However, considering the kind of people who are the movers and shakers of Hollywood as a whole (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=220541), it's worth questioning motives beyond Cameron's.

Romulus
12-21-2009, 08:43 PM
Exactly... to think there in no such thing as political influence and propaganda in big budget hollywood films is a bit naive. Not to say its always there... but on some level the psych warfare exist.. even if its only a cigarette or product placement.

First.. they have taken control of our culture.. next.. us?

0zzy
12-21-2009, 09:15 PM
The movie was decent. It will not be great in my eyes because of how typical it was. I couldn't watch it and not think of Dancing with Wolves. Technologically, it's great, sure. But I prefer substance over style.

Flash
12-21-2009, 09:56 PM
Get a life man. Some people have a green agenda in their movies because they're tired of seeing ecosystems ravaged by humans for temporary gain.

Interestingly enough I heard the Lord of the Rings books had a pro-environment message in it. http://www.scifimoviepage.com/art_overrated_2003_1.html

vegaspilot03
12-21-2009, 10:41 PM

you really missed it? the whole fact that HUMANS are evil... that we destroyed out planet and are out to destroy theirs... that in the whole movie were bad people... just what they want everyone to think when there is "global warming" going on....

If you stood outside a theater that just finished playing avatar, i would say 98% of the people would have voted yes for the climate change bill as opposed whatever it is now.

i understand the message, i enjoyed the movie... but the case is made that this has a green msg. bad or good? i guess good overall.

Arklatex
12-22-2009, 07:30 AM
best movie ever made.

I saw it opening night at the local imax, i'm going back today with some foreigners. :D They are in for a real treat.

zach
12-22-2009, 07:38 AM
I'd love to see it..

Seems more along the lines of "The current system is screwing up and here's what can happen" kind of thing.

Guess I'll see..

Mini-Me
12-22-2009, 07:52 AM
Interestingly enough I heard the Lord of the Rings books had a pro-environment message in it. http://www.scifimoviepage.com/art_overrated_2003_1.html

Yeah, but that really did just come down solely to Tolkien's own beliefs rather than statist propaganda. He really disliked the development of the countryside, and he was a bit of a Luddite. ;) However, he was also extremely skeptical of centralized power and very sympathetic to anarchist views (and described his politics as such), and it shows in the symbolism of the One Ring.

JamesButabi
12-23-2009, 12:33 AM
Everyone needs to go see this movie. I never thought id see the biggest blockbuster of the year tackling war, occupation, and blowback in such a majestic way. A strong and beautiful story with obvious real life parallels.

phill4paul
12-23-2009, 06:58 AM
Went and saw this movie yesterday. Two thumbs up! Visual effects were phenomenal!
They also had a trailer for the upcoming Tim Burtons "Alice in Wonderland Movie" in 3-D w/ Johhny Depp. From the looks of that one it will be good also.

evilfunnystuff
12-25-2009, 11:03 AM
http://www.geekologie.com/2009/12/19/avatar-spoiler.jpg

lol