View Full Version : Target fires 7 workers for buying Zhu Zhus

cindy25
12-21-2009, 04:21 AM
http://www.buffalonews.com/home/story/899242.html?imw=Y

Target fires 7 workers for buying Zhu Zhus
By Samantha Maziarz Christmann
NEWS BUSINESS REPORTER
Updated: December 19, 2009, 10:26 AM

David Lawrinowicz of Lancaster had worked at Target for nearly eight years before the company fired him Wednesday — for buying two Zhu Zhu Pets.

Not stealing them, buying them. Lawrinowicz, who worked the overnight at the Cheektowaga location on Walden Avenue, helped unload a shipment of the hot holiday toy at the start of his shift around 11 p.m. Before leaving for the day at 5 a.m. the next morning, he and six other employees lined up to buy a few of the plush hamsters each. Overnight employees are allowed to make purchases during the company’s off hours.

None of the workers bought more than the limit of four Zhu Zhu Pets per customer. In fact, Lawrinowicz bought just two of them for his daughter Jessica. There were more hanging on the store’s racks when the employees cashed out.

A few days later, Lawrinowicz said he was called into the human resources office and told employees were not allowed to purchase “popular items” until the store opens at 8 a.m. There was no write-up, and he went back to finish his work.

Two weeks later, he and the other co-workers including his team leader were called in and fired by a choked-up, apologetic store manager. They were told the company’s policy about buying “two-day ad items” had been clearly posted in a sign over the employee time clock.

“There was no such thing. I look in that spot every day when I punch out and there was nothing there,” said Lawrinowicz.

Target said the company has certain guidelines in place regarding employees shopping during their shifts.

“These guidelines are in place to provide our guests with the same purchasing opportunities as our team members. We are committed to making the items our guests want as available as possible to ensure a positive guest experience,” said Target representatives in a statement.

Target said the policy is made clear in its employee handbook, and that reminders of it “are often communicated” through postings, newsletters and verbal “huddles.” Policy violations are punishable by action up to and including termination.

Lawrinowicz said, though it was hard physical work, he enjoyed working for Target and bears no animosity toward the company. But he can’t help feeling his termination and that of his colleagues is overly harsh, especially right before the holidays.

“I told them I would bring the things back. It’s not worth losing my job over. It’s an $8 toy,” he said. “But they said there was nothing they could do

kathy88
12-21-2009, 04:36 AM
Nice. Right before Christmas. This sucks.

devil21
12-21-2009, 04:58 AM
Clandestine layoffs.

Companies are searching for reasons to fire people. If "for cause", even if a bullshit reason that would never be enforced otherwise, it also throws a monkeywrench into the fired employee's ability to collect unemployment payments.

It's also much better for PR if "lay offs" are called something else.

tangent4ronpaul
12-21-2009, 05:06 AM
hmmmm.... a mildly robotic stuffed animal that "coo's" and "purr's"....

first I've ever heard of them.

http://base0.googlehosted.com/base_media?q=http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/dragonballzcentral_2082_880967830&size=20&dhm=ef25e6f&hl=en

doesn't look like something I'd waste $10 on....

-t

Lafayette
12-21-2009, 07:40 AM
Sounds a lot like my stay at target.

I was one of the "team leaders" on the overnight shift, worked for target for 4years.
I was let go for not taking lunches on time.

If you didnt take your lunch before your 5th hour of work, even 1 minute over you were written up. 3 strikes in a year and your out. When they first introduced the rule, people where fired left and right, some worked their 15-20 years.

Management was a giant cluster fuck of rules and incompetence, much like the federal government. Even so it still was a great place to work.

cheapseats
12-21-2009, 08:00 AM
Management was a giant cluster fuck of rules and incompetence, much like the federal government. Even so it still was a great place to work.

I imagine those are the sentiments of most of the Federal Workforce.

The gargantuan Federal Workforce has cause aplenty to re-elect the folks who hire a gargantuan Federal Workforce.

cheapseats
12-21-2009, 08:03 AM
Companies are searching for reasons to fire people. If "for cause", even if a bullshit reason that would never be enforced otherwise, it also throws a monkeywrench into the fired employee's ability to collect unemployment payments.

Yep, yep.

ROW, YA BASTARDS!

Anti Federalist
12-21-2009, 08:08 AM
My definition of "great" and "animosity" must be suffering.

:confused::mad:

phill4paul
12-21-2009, 10:34 AM
Target reverses decision to fire employees.

http://www.buffalonews.com/home/story/900743.html

angelatc
12-21-2009, 10:43 AM
Why is this even news?

squarepusher
12-21-2009, 01:37 PM
Clandestine layoffs.

yes

squarepusher
12-21-2009, 01:38 PM
Target reverses decision to fire employees.

http://www.buffalonews.com/home/story/900743.html

PR Nightmare

JaylieWoW
12-21-2009, 02:07 PM
http://www.buffalonews.com/home/story/899242.html?imw=Y

Target fires 7 workers for buying Zhu Zhus
By Samantha Maziarz Christmann
NEWS BUSINESS REPORTER
Updated: December 19, 2009, 10:26 AM

David Lawrinowicz of Lancaster had worked at Target for nearly eight years before the company fired him Wednesday — for buying two Zhu Zhu Pets.

Not stealing them, buying them. Lawrinowicz, who worked the overnight at the Cheektowaga location on Walden Avenue, helped unload a shipment of the hot holiday toy at the start of his shift around 11 p.m. Before leaving for the day at 5 a.m. the next morning, he and six other employees lined up to buy a few of the plush hamsters each. Overnight employees are allowed to make purchases during the company’s off hours.

None of the workers bought more than the limit of four Zhu Zhu Pets per customer. In fact, Lawrinowicz bought just two of them for his daughter Jessica. There were more hanging on the store’s racks when the employees cashed out.

A few days later, Lawrinowicz said he was called into the human resources office and told employees were not allowed to purchase “popular items” until the store opens at 8 a.m. There was no write-up, and he went back to finish his work.

Two weeks later, he and the other co-workers including his team leader were called in and fired by a choked-up, apologetic store manager. They were told the company’s policy about buying “two-day ad items” had been clearly posted in a sign over the employee time clock.

“There was no such thing. I look in that spot every day when I punch out and there was nothing there,” said Lawrinowicz.

Target said the company has certain guidelines in place regarding employees shopping during their shifts.

“These guidelines are in place to provide our guests with the same purchasing opportunities as our team members. We are committed to making the items our guests want as available as possible to ensure a positive guest experience,” said Target representatives in a statement.

Target said the policy is made clear in its employee handbook, and that reminders of it “are often communicated” through postings, newsletters and verbal “huddles.” Policy violations are punishable by action up to and including termination.

Lawrinowicz said, though it was hard physical work, he enjoyed working for Target and bears no animosity toward the company. But he can’t help feeling his termination and that of his colleagues is overly harsh, especially right before the holidays.

“I told them I would bring the things back. It’s not worth losing my job over. It’s an $8 toy,” he said. “But they said there was nothing they could do

It is precisely these types of business practices that lead to unionization of companies. Don't get me wrong, I am familiar with the history of the Ford motor company so I do realize employees get greedy, but this isn't greedy so much as it is sheer stupidity on part of the employer. Even though I strongly oppose interference by legislation, I think this sort of thing is an important point to ponder on the how's and why's of getting where we are today. If big companies didn't do things this foolishly stupid, people, for the most part, wouldn't be able to "stir up the masses" against them. Target certainly deserves any public backlash it receives from this incident.

Lovecraftian4Paul
12-21-2009, 06:36 PM
Unfortunately, our whole culture has adopted an increasingly authoritarian strain that defies liberty and common sense. From government on down to business, this is the case.

LibForestPaul
12-21-2009, 06:37 PM
Who cares, seven employees. Big whoop. Target must not have payed off some media companies.

LibForestPaul
12-21-2009, 06:38 PM
Employment at will. Enjoy.

Zippyjuan
12-21-2009, 06:51 PM

I was one of the "team leaders" on the overnight shift, worked for target for 4years.

If you didnt take your lunch before your 5th hour of work, even 1 minute over you were written up. 3 strikes in a year and your out. When they first introduced the rule, people where fired left and right, some worked their 15-20 years.

In California, that is the law. The company can get fined if employees are taking their lunches after five hours or before three hours (even if they do so voluntarily). I used to do night stocking in a grocery store and we would take our allotted breaks together and eat then and work through the night so we could go home an hour or half hour earlier. Not allowed to do that anymore. The employer does not want to get fined so they make sure people take their breaks and lunches within the specified times- and that is why they disipline people who don't follow it.

Anti Federalist
12-21-2009, 06:53 PM
Unfortunately, our whole culture has adopted an increasingly authoritarian strain that defies liberty and common sense. From government on down to business, this is the case.

That^^

dannno
12-21-2009, 06:55 PM
hmmmm.... a mildly robotic stuffed animal that "coo's" and "purr's"....

first I've ever heard of them.

http://base0.googlehosted.com/base_media?q=http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/dragonballzcentral_2082_880967830&size=20&dhm=ef25e6f&hl=en

doesn't look like something I'd waste $10 on....

-t

WTF is that?! It needs to be circumsized or something..

angelatc
12-21-2009, 07:11 PM

This is how business is always been run. I don't feel sorry for the guys. The policy has always been that they can't pre-buy items that are on the 2 day ad, but they did it anyway. Maybe firing them was overkill, and a write-up would have been more appropriate, but Target has the right to be dickheads if they want to.

So why is it news?

Zippyjuan
12-21-2009, 07:16 PM
It would have been bad PR for the store if they sold out of the item and word leaked that employees had purchased them before the store even opened.

Anti Federalist
12-21-2009, 07:18 PM
This is how business is always been run.
So why is it news?

No, it is not how it's always been done.

Both business and government has not always been a cluster fuck of zero tolerance, short sighted, asinine "policy" with no room left for intervention and common sense by an "on the scene" representative of management.

The government analogy is that of cops with the Taser first, ask questions later mindset.

Yeah yeah yeah, Target has the right to be assholes, but why? To what purpose? Are being a bunch of corporate douchebags going to increase your bottom line?

__27__
12-21-2009, 08:41 PM

Uh, I work for Target now, and this sounds nothing like it. Half hour breaks need to be taken for every 6 hours you work. If you don't take your break and you have been punched in for 6 hours the LOD gets a message on their PDA, and they let you know to take your half. I've been out of 'compliance' several times, I might get a couple walkie calls from the LOD telling me I need to take a break, but you most certainly do NOT get fired.

And to AntiFed, I'm not quite sure if you understand the concept of private property. Target may run their business as they wish, if they want to fire people because they don't like the way their breath smells, that is their right. Firing someone for breaking a written policy is certainly well within their rights. It is wholly different from government, as you have no choice with government. If you don't like Target's policies, don't work for them and don't buy from them. It's that simple. Try doing that if you don't like the governments policies.]

Moreover, the policies are there for good reason. With regards to two day ad items, it should be plainly obvious. These are items which are expected to be in high demand, but which they have relatively few of. All Target asks is that you wait until the items are actually on sale to the public before you make a purchase, thus any customer has had the same opportunity to purchase the item as you have. It would be no different than say when the Wii's were coming out, and stores only got a few each weeks before they went on sale to the public. If Target employees bought all of the Wii's before they went on sale to the public, that would be a pretty poor way to serve the consumer, wouldn't it? As far as the policies regarding breaks and such, they are there to prevent unions from coming in. Unions ruin employee relations and workplace productivity. Target makes policy in an attempt to give it's workers everything a union might promise them, while still remaining open shop which allows them the flexibility to do things like have management staff help out hourly employees during busy times (something we do a LOT of), which we wouldn't be able to do under union rule. Just one example of many. And they have been successful, despite expanding to fields which have some of the strongest unions, opening grocery stores (a labor sector which is strongly represented by teamsters), and more, Target is still 100% open shop.

Is it bar none the best place in the world to work? Nope. Is it better than most? By a friggin mile. I'm only working at Target because I need an odd hour flexible job while I go back to school, but it is a great place to work.

Anti Federalist
12-21-2009, 10:00 PM
And to AntiFed, I'm not quite sure if you understand the concept of private property. Target may run their business as they wish, if they want to fire people because they don't like the way their breath smells, that is their right. Firing someone for breaking a written policy is certainly well within their rights. It is wholly different from government, as you have no choice with government. If you don't like Target's policies, don't work for them and don't buy from them. It's that simple. Try doing that if you don't like the governments policies.]

*sigh*

Of course I understand that. I said that.

And take a bow for being a good a proper spokesperson and defender of the provider of your employment.

But just because a corporation or a private property owner is, in fact, private, does not preclude them from being a dickhead as well.

Nor does it remove my right to call them such, and take my business elsewhere.

At least until the corporate/government merger is complete, and then there will be no choice.

And to the bold: does that include, not stinky breath, but, being black, or homosexual, or a political radical that attends End the Fed rallies?

__27__
12-21-2009, 10:19 PM
*sigh*

Of course I understand that. I said that.

And take a bow for being a good a proper spokesperson and defender of the provider of your employment.

But just because a corporation or a private property owner is, in fact, private, does not preclude them from being a dickhead as well.

Nor does it remove my right to call them such, and take my business elsewhere.

At least until the corporate/government merger is complete, and then there will be no choice.

And to the bold: does that include, not stinky breath, but, being black, or homosexual, or a political radical that attends End the Fed rallies?

Yes. Why wouldn't it? Do you believe you have more claim over anothers property that you can tell them what they shall/shall not do with it?

If an employer wishes to not employ females, that is his right. The market will take care of him. He has in one fell swoop, made himself uncompetitive. While his hiring pool is small, others hire from the same pool as he, PLUS the pool that he excludes. He will not get the best talent, and he will probably be boycotted by sane people like you and I who will refuse to work for him, provide to him, or buy from him. But NONE of this means he cannot be allowed to do so if that is his wish. If a man wishes to destroy his own home, the fruit of his own labor, that is his own choice. We may call him a fool, but we may certainly not prevent him from using his property in any way he sees fit.

None of this has anything to do with whom I work for. I support the private property rights of ALL businesses, just as I support the individual liberties of ALL people.

speciallyblend
12-21-2009, 11:06 PM
Uh, I work for Target now, and this sounds nothing like it. Half hour breaks need to be taken for every 6 hours you work. If you don't take your break and you have been punched in for 6 hours the LOD gets a message on their PDA, and they let you know to take your half. I've been out of 'compliance' several times, I might get a couple walkie calls from the LOD telling me I need to take a break, but you most certainly do NOT get fired.

Moreover, the policies are there for good reason. With regards to two day ad items, it should be plainly obvious. These are items which are expected to be in high demand, but which they have relatively few of. All Target asks is that you wait until the items are actually on sale to the public before you make a purchase, thus any customer has had the same opportunity to purchase the item as you have. It would be no different than say when the Wii's were coming out, and stores only got a few each weeks before they went on sale to the public. If Target employees bought all of the Wii's before they went on sale to the public, that would be a pretty poor way to serve the consumer, wouldn't it? As far as the policies regarding breaks and such, they are there to prevent unions from coming in. Unions ruin employee relations and workplace productivity. Target makes policy in an attempt to give it's workers everything a union might promise them, while still remaining open shop which allows them the flexibility to do things like have management staff help out hourly employees during busy times (something we do a LOT of), which we wouldn't be able to do under union rule. Just one example of many. And they have been successful, despite expanding to fields which have some of the strongest unions, opening grocery stores (a labor sector which is strongly represented by teamsters), and more, Target is still 100% open shop.

Is it bar none the best place in the world to work? Nope. Is it better than most? By a friggin mile. I'm only working at Target because I need an odd hour flexible job while I go back to school, but it is a great place to work.

if they make you do ra ra chants and stuff, then count me out. i cannot imagine be told to have to clap and chant and ra ra. id rather cut grass.. when i hear the team leaders doing those ra ra chants .it reminds me of employee of the month and it is never good images..... i get embarrassed for the workers...

__27__
12-21-2009, 11:16 PM
if they make you do ra ra chants and stuff, then count me out. i cannot imagine be told to have to clap and chant and ra ra. id rather cut grass.. when i hear the team leaders doing those ra ra chants .it reminds me of employee of the month and it is never good images..... i get embarrassed for the workers...

lol, I hear ya. That's why I work logistics, we don't have to participate in any of that kind of stuff. But again, as you yourself pointed out, there is freedom NOT to work there. If I had to deal with the public on the sales floor, and had to deal with the 'ra ra stuff' as you put it, I'd probably find a different job. ;)

Met Income
12-21-2009, 11:21 PM
No, it is not how it's always been done.

Both business and government has not always been a cluster fuck of zero tolerance, short sighted, asinine "policy" with no room left for intervention and common sense by an "on the scene" representative of management.

The government analogy is that of cops with the Taser first, ask questions later mindset.

Yeah yeah yeah, Target has the right to be assholes, but why? To what purpose? Are being a bunch of corporate douchebags going to increase your bottom line?

If they are out of line, they will lose out in the marketplace. This stuff works itself out.

Besides, customers get pissed when they know employees buy the merchandise. On Black Fri, my bro trekked to an electronics store to buy a laptop that was advertised. He was among the first there but they were all "sold out." Do you think my bro will ever shop there again?

JeNNiF00F00
12-21-2009, 11:58 PM

Yah...this is due to regulations. If they let you work and skip a lunch, then they'd be accused of slaving their employees. OCEA has a lot to do with this. All workers are required to do this.