PDA

View Full Version : Reason Magazine

Glelas
12-20-2009, 07:03 PM
Wasn't sure where to put this question but anyone have any opinion on Reason magazine?

TCE
12-20-2009, 07:11 PM
From what I can tell, it is a somewhat liberty-leaning publication. If nothing else, it is as liberty-leaning as I can foresee a magazine for sometime. However, their posterboy, Nick Gillespie, has been criticized for his lack of professional attire and his overuse of the black leather jacket.

Kludge
12-20-2009, 07:18 PM
Yeah... Gillespie certainly has a unique sense of fashion. I like him for it, though.

Reason is strongly libertarian. They are "beltway," meaning they'll distance themselves from anything fringe (or, if you dislike CATO, you'll probably dislike Reason), but there are usually some great articles in there. They jumped the gun in distancing themselves from Paul before they fully understood the "racist newsletter" matter. They often have a few different libertarians debate a topic and post the results. Good material for the sake of reading no matter your political denomination.

I somehow accidentally subscribed to Reason twice (or someone over there made a mistake -- the second issue's addressed to the same person but with one letter off). I don't know how long the subscription's still good for (their billing servers are down this weekend), but if you'd like, I can redirect the magazine shipping location to you. I usually just give it to a family member.

TCE
12-20-2009, 07:50 PM
Yeah... Gillespie certainly has a unique sense of fashion. I like him for it, though.

Reason is strongly libertarian. They are "beltway," meaning they'll distance themselves from anything fringe (or, if you dislike CATO, you'll probably dislike Reason), but there are usually some great articles in there. They jumped the gun in distancing themselves from Paul before they fully understood the "racist newsletter" matter. They often have a few different libertarians debate a topic and post the results. Good material for the sake of reading no matter your political denomination.

I somehow accidentally subscribed to Reason twice (or someone over there made a mistake -- the second issue's addressed to the same person but with one letter off). I don't know how long the subscription's still good for (their billing servers are down this weekend), but if you'd like, I can redirect the magazine shipping location to you. I usually just give it to a family member.

I actually like that, though. For instance, news stations actually will use statistics from CATO because they didn't endorse Dr. Paul. That is the advantage of being "beltway." They also have two other websites, so those might be worth checking out as well.

Brett
12-20-2009, 08:02 PM
They post entertaining and well-made youtube videos. Great intros to Libertarianism, but never really anything as in-depth as I like it.

Austrian Econ Disciple
12-20-2009, 08:40 PM
CATO and Reason is akin to Randian State-Libertarianism. Mises, FEE, LRC, etc. are more Misesian/Lockean/Rothbardian libertarianism. The latter is far better, informative, and is infinitely more useful, noting of course that the intellectuals within the LvMI alone surpasses every other organization on the face of the Earth.

CATO and Reason are sell-outs. CATO threw Ron under the bus, trashed him, and overall proved how enamored they are with State power. Same goes with Reason.

I hope that eventually Lew and LvMI may eventually come out with a high production monthly magazine that approaches the topics of radical libertarianism (Agorism, political commentary through the Rothbardian lens, etc.).

I suppose the Journal of Libertarian Studies would be the closest right now (Though its annual). I highly recommend it.

axiomata
12-20-2009, 11:10 PM
CATO and Reason is akin to Randian State-Libertarianism. Mises, FEE, LRC, etc. are more Misesian/Lockean/Rothbardian libertarianism. The latter is far better, informative, and is infinitely more useful, noting of course that the intellectuals within the LvMI alone surpasses every other organization on the face of the Earth.

CATO and Reason are sell-outs. CATO threw Ron under the bus, trashed him, and overall proved how enamored they are with State power. Same goes with Reason.

I hope that eventually Lew and LvMI may eventually come out with a high production monthly magazine that approaches the topics of radical libertarianism (Agorism, political commentary through the Rothbardian lens, etc.).

I suppose the Journal of Libertarian Studies would be the closest right now (Though its annual). I highly recommend it.
Somebody didn't read Rizzo's peace plea (http://blog.mises.org/archives/011153.asp).

Reason
01-05-2010, 01:38 PM
thinking about subscribing to reason, anyone else have any thoughts on it?

Matt Collins
01-05-2010, 01:41 PM
their posterboy, Nick Gillespie, has been criticized for his lack of professional attire and his overuse of the black leather jacket.

YouTube - Nick Gillespie on Freedom Watch, 12/9 (1 of 3) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrpoLfg_Qfw&feature=player_embedded)

Matt Collins
01-05-2010, 01:41 PM
thinking about subscribing to reason, anyone else have any thoughts on it?
I really like it. The articles are very intelligent, typically on a much higher reading level than most other publications.

Danke
01-05-2010, 01:51 PM

You should read the magazine out loud and record it to an MP3. Then upload it for us all to download and enjoy while we peruse RPFs and ponder political activism. That is, if you really cared about liberty.

Kludge
01-05-2010, 03:47 PM
You should read the magazine out loud and record it to an MP3. Then upload it for us all to download and enjoy while we peruse RPFs and ponder political activism. That is, if you really cared about liberty.

Um.... If you really want. I have nothing better to do.

chudrockz
01-05-2010, 05:21 PM
I've had a subscription to Reason more often than not for quite a few years now. It's good, but as has been said, a little too "beltway" for my taste.

I also subscribe to another monthly, Liberty. I actually like that one quite a bit more.

Rekonn
01-06-2010, 12:33 AM
CATO and Reason is akin to Randian State-Libertarianism. Mises, FEE, LRC, etc. are more Misesian/Lockean/Rothbardian libertarianism.

Got a link to an article or youtube comparing the two? I'm a curious newbie that would like an intro.

Ethek
01-06-2010, 08:38 AM
I actually applied to do the fellowship at Reason, deadline was Dec30th. Walter Williams is with Reason Foundation. I will say that Mises outclasses them on intellectuals for IQ, but I have a sneeking supsicion that Reason might have the higher EQ if you catch my meaning.

I read Malcom Gladwells 'outliers' and I came to agree with his conclusion that one just has to be 'smart enough' to take advantage of opprotunities. Reason has a good polished product most of the time and that is an opprotunity for the liberty movement.