PDA

View Full Version : Reason.tv Footage of the Cop Who Brought a Gun to the Snowball Fight

LibertyPulse.com
12-20-2009, 09:20 AM
http://libertypulse.com//article/3098

Video footage of Cop drawing a gun against unarmed civilians who were having fun in a snowball fight. Little Brother was there with the video cameras of Freedom or otherwise things might have gotten worse.

GunnyFreedom
12-20-2009, 09:36 AM
If I, as a CCW carrier, drew a weapon under that circumstance, I would go to prison. We are supposed to be under the same metric for the use of deadly force as the police.

catdd
12-20-2009, 09:37 AM
He doesn't belong on the police force, that's for sure. He knew the tazer would be ineffective on those winter coats, so he pulls out a gun

Captain Shays
12-20-2009, 09:47 AM
Pig=Tyranny

cpike
12-20-2009, 10:01 AM
I kind of have mixed emotions on this. There is no reason a snowball fight should be broken up, which it doesn't seem like the cops were doing here. Seems like they were throwing snowballs at passing hummers, I don't like that. Throw snowballs at your own vehicles not others, one had the undercover cop in it so he came out. He didn't point his gun at anyone, and has much a right to it as any of us, though it wasn't the best idea. No one was detained it lasted another 20 minutes. I don't think this is THAT big of an idea, there are much worse instances of overreaching police. I'm surprised they took all the cussing at them from the crowd, many cops would arrest them for "disorderly conduct" for acting like that. The crowd called the other cops there.

Gaius1981
12-20-2009, 10:04 AM
Can't say I feel any sympathy for the hippie environmentalists who threw snowballs at people for driving Hummers (assuming that's the case).

Tangoland
12-20-2009, 10:09 AM
Cussing out cops is not illegal or disorderly conduct. You can say something about a cops mother and they cannot touch you. However, if your words are threatening in anyway all bets are off.

AmericaFyeah92
12-20-2009, 10:13 AM
Lewrockwell.com keeps very good track of pigs who routinely step over the line of tyranny.

just from today:

http://www.lewrockwell.com/blog/lewrw/archives/045146.htm

http://www.lewrockwell.com/blog/lewrw/archives/045171.html

cpike
12-20-2009, 10:22 AM
Cussing out cops is not illegal or disorderly conduct. You can say something about a cops mother and they cannot touch you. However, if your words are threatening in anyway all bets are off.

I know this, it does not mean that all cops will follow the rules. When saying F*** You to a cop, your pretty lucky they don't find something petty to nab you for.

EDIT: America, that's a broken link.

Tangoland
12-20-2009, 10:24 AM
I know this, it does not mean that all cops will follow the rules. When saying F*** You to a cop, your pretty lucky they don't find something petty to nab you for.

EDIT: America, that's a broken link.

Agreed, citizen cameras may have balanced the situation...

Tangoland
12-20-2009, 10:38 AM
http://www.wjla.com/news/stories/1209/689050_video.html?ref=newsstory

roho76
12-20-2009, 11:18 AM
A DC cop driving a hummer. He must be independently wealthy from writing so many freedom and liberty best sellers.

roho76
12-20-2009, 11:22 AM
I kind of have mixed emotions on this. There is no reason a snowball fight should be broken up, which it doesn't seem like the cops were doing here. Seems like they were throwing snowballs at passing hummers, I don't like that. Throw snowballs at your own vehicles not others, one had the undercover cop in it so he came out. He didn't point his gun at anyone, and has much a right to it as any of us, though it wasn't the best idea. No one was detained it lasted another 20 minutes. I don't think this is THAT big of an idea, there are much worse instances of overreaching police. I'm surprised they took all the cussing at them from the crowd, many cops would arrest them for "disorderly conduct" for acting like that. The crowd called the other cops there.

I think if this had happened to a guy carrying a gun he probably would have stopped to deal with the situation and probably not pulled out a gun but cops have this mentality that they are not an authority unless they promote violence, otherwise their just some guy who would get his ass kicked by a group of others.

Brooklyn Red Leg
12-20-2009, 01:31 PM
Jesus Christ, I'm gonna be sick. That fucking douchebag should be fired and banned from EVER working in law enforcement again. Whats more, that asshole 'backup' put his hand on his gun after the one pig shoved/physically assaulted one of the crowd. Nothing the crowd did justified either the one pig drawing his sidearm, nor the other placing his hand upon his sidearm in preparation of drawing it. IMNSHO, if there had been CCW and/or Open Carrier's in the crowd, they would have been justified in placing the one pig under citizen's arrest at gunpoint.

Jay Tea
12-20-2009, 01:57 PM
Can't say I feel any sympathy for the hippie environmentalists who threw snowballs at people for driving Hummers (assuming that's the case).

I believe it was just a snowball fight that had expanded across the street, and some cars had been hit in the crossfire.

cpike
12-20-2009, 02:14 PM
One of the news stories said the were throwing snowballs at Hummers as they passed by. As for the Back up, he drew the gun until he recognized the detective, then he put it away. He wasn't pulling it on the snowball throwers, but the "Man witha gun"

speciallyblend
12-20-2009, 03:54 PM
sounds like the cops got called on to respond to a cop(unknown at the time). if a citizen sees an undercover(unknown) with a gun.it only sounds reasonable that a cop would show up armed. reports of an armed man from a call possibly from a snowball thrower. are we gonna blame the caller as well for tyranny of the police??

my question is what the hell is anyone doing in dc in the first place ,move west. usa starts in colorado and goes west. give everything east of denver back to the british;)

Tangoland
12-20-2009, 09:38 PM
sounds like the cops got called on to respond to a cop(unknown at the time). if a citizen sees an undercover(unknown) with a gun.it only sounds reasonable that a cop would show up armed. reports of an armed man from a call possibly from a snowball thrower. are we gonna blame the caller as well for tyranny of the police??

my question is what the hell is anyone doing in dc in the first place ,move west. usa starts in colorado and goes west. give everything east of denver back to the british;)

and north of the mason-dixon line

southerner by the grace of God

GunnyFreedom
12-20-2009, 09:43 PM

Um. The idiot everyone is complaining about is NOT the uniform who showed up with his sidearm drawn. Seems we all universally agree that he did right by trying to de-escalate the situation.

The idiot we are all complaining about is the jackass detective who jumped out of hus Hummer brandishing a pistol because it got hit with a snowball. IE the guy the cops were called about.

He was, after all, the idiot that was hilighted in the video.

The plainclothes detective was NOT there responding to a "gun" call, he was the idiot who PROVOKED the "gun" call.

JK/SEA
12-21-2009, 01:36 AM
I think Barney Fife would have handled it better.

dannno
12-21-2009, 02:23 AM
LOL!! That was ridiculous..

There is a Norma Jean song that is really good/famous called "Creating Something Out of Nothing Only to Destroy it" where they repeat the following phrase:

Like bringing a knife to a gun fight!!!

That's the first thing I thought of.

YouTube - Norma Jean - Creating Something Out Of Nothing... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEcJdjOi7LY)

Great song if you're into metal.

Anti Federalist
12-21-2009, 08:46 AM
You can bet your ass it would have been one dead "civilian" had the situation been different.

Only fellow enforcers are allowed the courtesy of figuring out what is going on before shooting.

phill4paul
12-21-2009, 09:35 AM
WASHINGTON – Washington, D.C., police are investigating after Internet videos showed a detective waving his gun during a mass snowball fight on a city street.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091221/ap_on_re_us/us_storm_snowball_fight_officer;_ylt=ArHAzUfpUkpBU SgOlVmuiIes0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTQzaDZyZmluBGFzc2V0A2FwL zIwMDkxMjIxL3VzX3N0b3JtX3Nub3diYWxsX2ZpZ2h0X29mZml jZXIEY2NvZGUDbW9zdHBvcHVsYXIEY3BvcwM0BHBvcwMxBHB0A 2hvbWVfY29rZQRzZWMDeW5faGVhZGxpbmVfbGlzdARzbGsDZGN wb2xpY2VvcGVu

My bet will be a two week paid vacation and be deemed justifiable as he had no way of knowing whether or not there were hand-grenades concealed in the snowballs.

speciallyblend
12-21-2009, 10:20 AM
Um. The idiot everyone is complaining about is NOT the uniform who showed up with his sidearm drawn. Seems we all universally agree that he did right by trying to de-escalate the situation.

The idiot we are all complaining about is the jackass detective who jumped out of hus Hummer brandishing a pistol because it got hit with a snowball. IE the guy the cops were called about.

He was, after all, the idiot that was hilighted in the video.

The plainclothes detective was NOT there responding to a "gun" call, he was the idiot who PROVOKED the "gun" call.

i hear you

RyanRSheets
12-21-2009, 11:16 AM
Obviously drawing his weapon was an act of aggression and he should be fired immediately, but the guy who threw snowballs at him after he took out his gun probably deserves some sort of punishment as well. What a dumbass. He was pretty much asking to be shot. It wouldn't have been justified, but for the love of God, to reverse things back, don't bring a snowball to a gun fight.

I think the crowd's behavior was a little over the top, and it makes me feel like they might have been up to no good earlier.

phill4paul
12-21-2009, 02:26 PM
My bet will be a two week paid vacation and be deemed justifiable as he had no way of knowing whether or not there were hand-grenades concealed in the snowballs.

Some one shoulda took the bet. No vacation for him, hims chained to the desk...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091221/ap_on_re_us/us_storm_snowball_fight_officer

WASHINGTON – A Washington, D.C., police officer is on desk duty while the department investigates reports he pulled a gun during a mass snowball fight on a city street.

phill4paul
12-21-2009, 03:51 PM
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2009/12/21/national/a045615S41.DTL&type=politics

"Let me be very clear in stating that I believe the actions of the officer were totally inappropriate!" (Metropolitan Police Chief Cathy)Lanier said in a statement after the videos made the rounds on YouTube. "In no way should he have handled the situation in this manner."

Assistant Police Chief Peter Newsham told reporters Monday that the detective's badge and weapon have been withdrawn.