PDA

View Full Version : A Tale of Two Libertarianisms--Unreleased Rothbard Works!

bobbyw24
12-18-2009, 06:39 PM
A new book of unpublished critiques by Murray Rothbard reveals a divide in the larger libertarian project

Brian Doherty | December 18, 2009

If Murray Rothbard—Austrian school economist, anarchist political philosopher, early American popular historian, and inveterate libertarian organizational gadfly—had never lived, the modern libertarian movement would have nowhere near its current size and influence.

He inspired and educated generations of young libertarian intellectuals and activists, from Leonard Liggio to Roy Childs to Randy Barnett. He helped form and shape the mission of such libertarian institutions as the Institute for Humane Studies, the Cato Institute, and the Ludwig Von Mises Institute. His unique combination of a Randian-Aristotelian natural rights ethic, Austrian economics, anarcho-capitalism (of which he was the ur-source, within the contemporary libertarian movement), fervent anti-interventionism, and a populist distrust of “power elites” both public and private injected modern libertarianism with the distinct flavor that separates it from other brands of small-government, free-market thought.

Let’s put it this way: When the likes of F.A. Hayek and Milton Friedman died, conservative flagship National Review could and did praise them pretty unreservedly. But when Rothbard died in 1995, his old pal William Buckley took pen in hand to piss on his grave. Rothbard, Buckley wrote, spent his life “huffing and puffing in the little cloister whose walls he labored so strenuously to contract, leaving him, in the end, not as the father of a swelling movement…but with about as many disciples as David Koresh had in his little redoubt in Waco. Yes, Murray Rothbard believed in freedom, and yes, David Koresh believed in God.”

Things look a little different now when it comes to Murray Rothbard’s influence, though it’s unlikely anyone at National Review will note it—except maybe in the context of an attack on Rep. Ron Paul (R-Texas). The rise of Paul and his loud and enthusiastic and young fan base, which Buckley could not have foreseen (I, who was writing an intellectual history of libertarianism from 1996-2006, also failed to see it coming), contradicts Buckley’s contention that Rothbard’s divisive radical intransigence doomed him to irrelevance.

The Paul movement, the largest popular movement motivated by distinctly libertarian ideas about war, money, and the role of government we’ve seen in the postwar period, is far more Rothbardian than it is directly influenced by the beliefs or style of any of the other recognized intellectual leaders or influences on American libertarianism. The Paul crowd is the sort of mass anti-war, anti-state, anti-fiat money agitation that Rothbard dreamed about his whole activist life.

The Paulites stress Rothbard’s key issues of war and money, with that populist hint of what he called “power elite analysis”—and that the uncharitable call “conspiracy theories.” Indeed, as I learned from my reporting on the movement during Paul’s primary campaign, a majority of them are pretty much learning their libertarianism directly from Paul himself, and the Internet communities surrounding Paul. But Rothbard was a friend and influence on Paul, and central to the Paul Internet community is the very Rothbardian Mises Institute website and the personal site of Mises Institute President Lew Rockwell, who was a close partner of Rothbard’s in the last decade of his life.

The Mises Institute has just issued an interesting (though regrettably brief, for this fan) collection of unpublished Rothbard writings. They are essays, letters, and memos written with a specific purpose—to advise various libertarian education and funding groups in the 1940s and ‘50s (mostly the Volker Fund, the most important supporter of libertarian intellectuals in the that era—they funded the academic berths of both Mises and Hayek, sponsored the conferences for which Milton Friedman’s Capitalism and Freedom was largely written, and kept Rothbard alive with various grants and tasks) on whether specific works or authors were worthy of promotion as good libertarian education or propaganda (in the neutral sense). Because of this practical purpose, Rothbard’s writing here highlights a still-important faultline in the larger libertarian project, both as an intellectual operation and a sales (of ideas) operation.

Rothbard vs. the Philosophers is about two-thirds Rothbard, and one-third an introductory essay by an Italian political scientist, Roberta Modugno. The essay derives so much from the Rothbard material that follows that it adds only a little to the value proposition of the book. Its contextualization of the mature Rothbard does make the book useful to more than just dedicated Rothbard fans and libertarian movement historians. (There is much, much more of this sort of Rothbard material in the Mises Institute’s archives, and I hope this is only the beginning of issuing it.)

Rothbard is an intellectual with a mission. He learned much from Marx and various Marxist movements in terms of strategies for radical politico-economic change, and he agreed with Marx that while “philosophers have hitherto only interpreted the world in various ways, the point is to change it.” (While talking about Rothbard with libertarians who don’t cotton to him, which I did quite a bit of in my movement history research, I detect that they often think their preferred libertarian thinkers were more scientific-interpretive, while Rothbard was more propagandistic. Actually, all the major libertarian social thinkers had social and political change, not merely the objective search for truth, as their goal.)

http://reason.com/archives/2009/12/18/a-tale-of-two-libertarianisms

Theocrat
12-18-2009, 06:45 PM
I can say, with no reservation, that Murray Rothbard had no influence on my coming to libertarian convictions whatsoever. If anything, some of his economic ideas were borrowed from Christian capital (whether he would have admitted it or not).

erowe1
12-18-2009, 06:47 PM
If anything, some of his economic ideas were borrowed from Christian capital (whether he would have admitted it or not).

He most certainly would, and did, admit that.

And if you can count either Ron Paul or Gary North as influences on your own thought, then don't be so sure that Rothbard doesn't lie anywhere in the background.

Also, welcome back.

Chieftain1776
12-18-2009, 07:15 PM
He most certainly would, and did, admit that.

And if you can count either Ron Paul or Gary North as influences on your own thought, then don't be so sure that Rothbard doesn't lie anywhere in the background.

Also, welcome back.

Yeah I remember reading this interview (http://mises.org/journals/aen/aen11_2_1.asp) a while back. Even though he was a secular Jew (his wife was Catholic and that was the initial rift with the dogmatically atheist and cultish Ayn Rand) he acknowledge the contribution of faith to intellectual history:

AEN: You have apparently taken an interest in religion as it affects the history of thought.

MNR: Religion was dominant in the history of thought at least through Marshall. The Scholastics emerged out of Catholic doctrine. And John Locke was a Protestant Scholastic. I am convinced that Smith, who came from a Calvinist tradition, skewed the whole theory of value by emphasizing labor pain, typical of a Puritan. The whole objective cost tradition grew out of that.

AEN: Why has all this been overlooked?

MNR: Because the 20th century is the century of atheistic, secularist intellectuals. When I was growing up, anyone who was religious was considered slightly wacky or even unintelligent. That was the basic attitude of all intellectuals. This is the opposite of earlier centuries's attitudes when everyone was religious.

The anti-religious bias even shows up in the interpretations of the history of art, for example, in the secularist and positivist interpretation of Renaissance painting. When Jesus is painted as a real person, they assume that means it is a secular work. whereas the real point of the Renaissance was to emphasize the Incarnation, when God became flesh. Even if art historians aren't interested in theology, they should realize that the people they study were. The same is true for economics. In doing history, you cannot read your own values into the past.

ClayTrainor
12-18-2009, 07:23 PM
I can say, with no reservation, that Murray Rothbard had no influence on my coming to libertarian convictions whatsoever.

Did Ron Paul influence you? Because Rothbard had a big influence on him...

LibertyEagle
12-18-2009, 07:30 PM
So did Mises, amongst others.

tremendoustie
12-18-2009, 07:50 PM

Yep, Mises is definitely one of the greats as well.

UnReconstructed
12-18-2009, 09:37 PM
I can say, with no reservation, that Murray Rothbard had no influence on my coming to libertarian convictions whatsoever. If anything, some of his economic ideas were borrowed from Christian capital (whether he would have admitted it or not).

some pretty loose use of the word libertarian

Andrew-Austin
12-18-2009, 10:34 PM

And Mises was a moral utilitarian, not someone I think Christians would be eager to get all cozy with.

UnReconstructed
12-18-2009, 11:09 PM
I don't know about getting cozy but I'd have lunch with him.