12-18-2009, 02:59 PM
Story to Follow

Mini-Me
12-18-2009, 03:01 PM
Story to Follow

This can't be good...

Zippyjuan
12-18-2009, 03:02 PM
Listening to news at this moment, there is no legally binding deal as of yet. There is a "goal" of trying to cut emissions to half of 1998 levels by 2050. Obama still meeting with Chinese premier.

sofia
12-18-2009, 03:03 PM
i had a hunch that all this "the talks are falling apart" stuff was a diversion to lull us to sleep all along.

bobbyw24
12-18-2009, 03:03 PM
World leaders reach deal on climate change in Copenhagen

By Juliet Eilperin, Anthony Faiola and Debbi Wilgoren
Washington Post Staff Writers
Friday, December 18, 2009; 4:00 PM

COPENHAGEN -- World leaders reached a climate deal Friday night, according to an Obama administration official and other sources familiar with the talks. They said the deal provides a means to monitor and verify emissions cuts by developing countries but has less ambitious climate targets than the United States and European governments had initially sought.

An Obama administration official, speaking on condition of anonymity, said a "meaningful agreement was reached" following a multilateral meeting between President Obama and the leaders of China, India and South Africa. "It's not sufficient to combat the threat of climate change, but it's an important first step," the official said.

"Developed and developing countries have now agreed to listing their national actions and commitments, a finance mechanism, to set a mitigation target of 2 degrees Celsius and to provide information on the implementation of their actions through national communications, with provisions for international consultations and analysis under clearly defined guidelines," the official said. "No country is entirely satisfied with each element, but this is a meaningful and historic step forward and a foundation from which to make further progress."

With time running out to forge a comprehensive climate agreement, negotiators at the U.N.-sponsored talks had been considering a new draft agreement that would not require a binding treaty by 2010 but would lay the groundwork for a more ambitious target in limiting the rise of temperatures around the globe.

The decision to remove the 2010 deadline was significant, because scientists have warned that the longer nations wait to make deep greenhouse gas emission cuts, the harder it will be to avert dangerous climate change.

The draft proposal, a political statement labeled "the Copenhagen Accord," also lacked the kind of independent verification of emission reductions by developing countries that the United States and others demand. It called on the world's nations to collectively reduce their emissions 80 percent by 2050.

At the same time, it called for a reassessment of the accord by 2016 that would "include consideration of strengthening the long term goal to limit the increase of long term global average temperature to 1.5 degrees" Celsius, or 2.7 degrees Fahrenheit. That is the more ambitious climate target many vulnerable nations had been seeking as part of an agreement here.

The draft, a copy of which was obtained by The Washington Post, emerged from a frenzy of last-minute negotiations on what is supposed to be the final day of the 12-day, 193-nation summit. Earlier Friday, President Obama warned world leaders gathered here that their collective will to address global warming "hangs in the balance" and urged both developed and developing countries to compromise in the interest of forging a meaningful pact.

After addressing the morning plenary session, Obama met for nearly an hour with Premier Wen Jiabao of China, the nation that other leaders have said poses the greatest challenge in forging a global pact. China has strongly resisted proposals for independent monitoring of each county's claimed emissions cuts, but the United States has said such scrutiny is integral to a meaningful deal.

A White House official called the discussion between Obama and Wen "constructive" and said that the two men touched on the monitoring issue, as well as how to elicit commitments from all key countries to cut emissions and how to establish financing from richer nations to help poorer ones cope with global warming.

"They took a step forward and made progress," the official, who spoke on condition of anonymity, told reporters. The official said Obama and Wen then instructed their negotiating teams to continue talking after the session, "to see if an agreement can be reached."

While one group of U.S. negotiators launched a new round of talks with China, the rest of the American team continued to participate in multilateral discussions.

CONTINUED 1 2 3 4 Next >

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/12/18/AR2009121800637.html?hpid=topnews

nbhadja
12-18-2009, 03:06 PM
I hope a blizzard kills them all.

Dunedain
12-18-2009, 03:22 PM
I just wish I could have been there to give them the finger.

I don't get it. They want us to cool the planet by 2 degrees? It's freezing cold outside already!

jmdrake
12-18-2009, 03:26 PM
Yeah we knew this would happen. There are two things we must do now. 1) Kill this bill in the senate and 2) block implementation by the EPA. Task 2 is actually easier if people know what to do. Please see:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=221991

bobbyw24
12-18-2009, 03:27 PM
I just wish I could have been there to give them the finger.

I don't get it. They want us to cool the planet by 2 degrees? It's freezing cold outside already!

FOXNEWS is reporting that an Obama official says "meaningless" agreement met in Copenhagen

angelatc
12-18-2009, 03:29 PM
i had a hunch that all this "the talks are falling apart" stuff was a diversion to lull us to sleep all along.

That seems to happen an awful lot these days!

bobbyw24
12-18-2009, 03:30 PM
That seems to happen an awful lot these days!

Yep--you called it on Obamacare as well

Dunedain
12-18-2009, 03:33 PM
FOXNEWS is reporting that an Obama official says "meaningless" agreement met in Copenhagen

pfft. He says meaningless...therefore they meaningfully suck really bad (for us).