PDA

View Full Version : Gary Johnson emerges as the next Ron Paul--POLITICO [Mod note - Dec. 2010]

bobbyw24
12-17-2009, 06:01 AM
Ex-gov. emerges as next Ron Paul
By: Jonathan Martin
December 17, 2009 04:38 AM EST

Former New Mexico Republican Gov. Gary Johnson is a teetotaling triathlete who looks the part of the laid back Mountain West politician.

But don’t let the jeans and black mock turtleneck he's sporting on his new website fool you: Johnson is starting to sound like a mad-as-hell populist with an eye cast on 2012 and the building fury aimed at Washington.

“I’m finding myself really angry over spending and the deficit,” he said in an interview with POLITICO this week. “I’m finding myself really angry over what’s happening in the Middle East, the decision to stay in Afghanistan indefinitely. I’m angry about cap-and- trade. And I’ve been on record for a long time on the failed war on drugs.”

Is that enough to design a presidential campaign around? It might be, at a time of tea parties, rage at bail outs, job loss and general voter discontent. And there is plainly an opportunity for some politician to harness the anti-establishment, populist grassroots fervor that is right-leaning but untethered to any party at the moment.

It’s what Ron Paul tried to do in last year’s presidential campaign, but Johnson may better positioned to ride the populist wave than the longtime Texas GOP congressman. For one thing, the anti-establishment energy was not at the fever pitch then that it’s nearing now. And, unlike the unlikely Paul, a 73-year-old who got interested in elected politics when Richard Nixon abandoned the gold standard in 1971, Johnson is telegenic, media-savvy and, equally important, has twice been easily elected to statewide office.

A libertarian-leaning Republican, Johnson this month launched “Our America,” a group that aims to draw attention to the principles of limited government at home and non-interventionism abroad.

But as the subtitle on its website indicates, “The Gary Johnson Initiative” is also designed to elevate the profile of the ascetic and unconventional former governor who is known nationally—if at all—for his support of legalizing drugs.

Johnson is doing little to knock down the idea that he may be looking toward a 2012 presidential run.

“Is there room for something a little different?” he replied to a question about whether there was an opportunity for a new GOP voice emphasizing a different approach. “I’d like to think I’m putting that to the test.”

Johnson is extremely cautious in responding to direct questions about his own prospective White House ambitions, citing the legal restrictions on his 501(c)4 group, but he didn’t hesitate when asked if he’d soon be seen in such first-in-the-nation states as Iowa and New Hampshire.

“Yeah, you will,” he said.

So could Johnson be the burgeoning Tea Party movement’s preferred candidate in the next presidential election, the tribune of the disaffected and disgruntled?

He’s certainly on the same page when it comes to the fiscal issues that have galvanized activists. In the interview—and in a high-production-value video on his group’s snazzy website—he touts his small-government record in Santa Fe, where he vetoed 750 bills, which at the time was more than the other 49 governors in the country combined.

And he embraces the outsider spirit of the Tea Party movement, noting that he was a construction business owner before winning election as part of the much-heralded Republican Class of 1994 governors.

“I had a ‘Mr. Smith Goes to Washington’ experience as governor,” he said.

But Johnson is no political rube—as he demonstrates by offering the same soundbite-friendly quotes in an interview that he voices in the video, exhibiting the well-honed skills of a new media age pol.

And while he’s an admirer of Tea Party energy–and has actually attended a few rallies himself in New Mexico—he’s cautious about their politics.

Continue

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1209/30714.html

tajitj
12-17-2009, 06:30 AM
Pretty good article. Ron Paul is the king maker obviously. Good read, I know people will be mad thinking they are somehow tossing Ron aside, but heck, at least they admit it is Ron Paul who started all of this.

DIGG IT (http://digg.com/politics/Gary_Johnson_emerges_as_the_next_Ron_Paul)

Austin
12-17-2009, 06:36 AM
Interesting read, thanks for the heads up.

Elwar
12-17-2009, 08:09 AM
I'm surprised...The Pinko spent most of Ron Paul's campaign bashing him.

YouTube - THE R3VOLUTION CONTINUES (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XF5V4vbL_WE)

BenIsForRon
12-17-2009, 08:16 AM
I hope Gary Johnson is our guy. Unless Ron feels like running, and he can convince the voting populace that his age isn't an issue.

AbolishTheGovt
12-17-2009, 02:05 PM
There can only be one Ron Paul obviously, but Gary Johnson may make a damned good substitute if Ron decides not to run!!!

TCE
12-17-2009, 02:13 PM
I have stated before why Johnson realistically shouldn't have a shot, but it has always been overshadowed:

Republicans are all about family values, etc. Johnson is unmarried and the controversy surrounding his late wife is fair game in a Republican primary. I can't see that not coming up. Ron Paul doesn't have those kinds of skeletons in his closet.

Dunedain
12-17-2009, 02:25 PM
Isn't he an open borders guy?

Dunedain
12-17-2009, 02:44 PM
"Yes, we should have open borders. " - Gary Johnson.
http://www.theagitator.com/2009/04/21/gary-johnson-in-2012/

How is that not a recipe for division? I'd almost rather Obama stay in office than have a totally open border with Mexico.

teamrican1
12-17-2009, 02:55 PM

How is that not a recipe for division?

Because the economy has already gotten so bad that Mexicans are going back home in droves. By 2012 we will be such an economic wasteland that Americans will probably be immigrating to Mexico.

Flash
12-17-2009, 02:57 PM

How is that not a recipe for division? I'd almost rather Obama stay in office than have a totally open border with Mexico.

I'm pretty sure Ron Paul would like open borders as well. Problem is-- we live in a welfare state that can't support that many immigrants.

Dunedain
12-17-2009, 03:01 PM
I'm pretty sure Ron Paul would like open borders as well. Problem is-- we live in a welfare state that can't support that many immigrants.

I'm not sure what Ron Paul really believes but if he ever was that explict ("Open Borders") I would never have supported him. He talked more in terms of solutions to immigration like eliminating the welfare state. I think that would be an improvement.

Matt Collins
12-17-2009, 04:26 PM
This has been posted in some local Nashville media:
http://politics.nashvillepost.com/2009/12/17/the-second-coming/

BenIsForRon
12-17-2009, 06:44 PM
Is he for open borders under the current conditions, or is he philosophically for open borders but not until we get the welfare state taken care of?

nbhadja
12-17-2009, 06:56 PM
Is he for open borders under the current conditions, or is he philosophically for open borders but not until we get the welfare state taken care of?

I would assume the 2nd option.

I don't mind open borders as long as there is no welfare for anyone, no subsidization of the poor by the rich, and no progressive taxes.

Dunedain
12-17-2009, 07:19 PM

He didn't qualify the statement "I'm for open borders".

randolphfuller
12-17-2009, 07:34 PM
Open Borders is an important part of the freedom message and believed in by all libertarians. Complete freedom of movement of goods, capital, and labor is mandated be Manchester economics and all schools of libertarian thought agree. "Mr. Libertarian" osf the 20th century conceded tha a welfare state made this "a most difficult problem". There seems to be no place in libertarian dogma to deal with the sharp, abrupt cultural changes.

ItsTime
12-17-2009, 07:59 PM
Run Gary Run!

RevolutionSD
12-17-2009, 08:37 PM
Isn't he an open borders guy?

If he's pro-liberty he should not want artificial borders enforced by bureaucrats. To think that the government should allow a free market in some areas but not others like labor is anti-liberty.

rich34
12-17-2009, 10:26 PM
I ain't voting for no Gary Johnson. It's Ron Paul or nothing! The people pushing him need to give the fuck up. It'll be just like 2008 for Ron. Gary WHO?? And on top of that he's got some shady things in his closet as well. It's all Ron or nothing. He's the only one that has a slight chance of winning and that ain't much. So to all you pushing this guy please put your energy into trying to get Ron to run because if not Gary's presidential moneybomb's won't be no bigger than Rand's senate money bombs.

SimpleName
12-17-2009, 10:32 PM
I have stated before why Johnson realistically shouldn't have a shot, but it has always been overshadowed:

Republicans are all about family values, etc. Johnson is unmarried and the controversy surrounding his late wife is fair game in a Republican primary. I can't see that not coming up. Ron Paul doesn't have those kinds of skeletons in his closet.

That may be a bit of problem, but I think you are exaggerating it just a little. Rudy Giuliani had similar issues, but still garnered big support early on. He was married during the campaign, but I believe it was to the woman he supposedly had an affair with during his first marriage. Whether or not that is a good example or exactly the right series of events, but the point is that many Republicans will look over it. Maybe I am giving them too much credit (probably am).

Most likely in my opinion is that although the marriage thing won't kill his chances itself, but its stringing to some of his policy stances will lead to his exile. He is a guy known most of all for his fierce opposition to the drug war and he believes both abortion (federal level) and gay marriage should be legal.

sofia
12-17-2009, 11:00 PM
I ain't voting for no Gary Johnson. It's Ron Paul or nothing! The people pushing him need to give the fuck up. It'll be just like 2008 for Ron. Gary WHO?? .

^ yep....it would suck to have to start with "who is Gary Johnson" all over again.

It has to be Ron

Endgame
12-18-2009, 02:41 AM
So far I think Johnson would make a strong presidential candidate. Has the right appearance and enough executive experience to be "qualified". I still wonder about his... ideological purity though. It he half as well educated as RP? Is he another Reagan (disappointment) in the making?

His stance on immigration should put him at odds with the LRC/"paleo"/LvMI/barely-closeted racist Catholic social-conservative crowd. But is he under the influence of something far worse (CFR, heard a rumor a little while ago that someone here can hopefully elaborate on)? I wonder if its possible that he could attract the Hispanic vote? That is a group that Obama and co absolutely cannot be allowed to use. Assuming they have any reason to come here in the near future, stopping them is as impossible as the war on drugs.

BenIsForRon
12-18-2009, 04:06 AM
Ron Paul is not nearly as good of a speaker, and he will be 77. These are the two main reasons I see for putting Johnson in.

On the other hand, Ron Paul is a friggin celebrity now. I've heard many people say they wish they could turn back the clock and vote for him. If he keeps that momentum, and Johnson is not able to get a political foothold, then Ron would be the guy.

kathy88
12-18-2009, 05:27 AM

Salient point, but I think the Republicans are mad enough to go with Johnson on economic principles alone.

BenIsForRon
12-18-2009, 05:52 AM
He can't be worse than Giuliani... what's the situation with his ex-wife?

NH4RonPaul
03-07-2011, 08:12 AM
Ron Paul is NOT for open borders.

UtahApocalypse
03-07-2011, 08:13 AM
Ahhh seems everyone loves the "Divide and Conquer" strategy. Its working.

Elwar
03-07-2011, 08:16 AM
Old thread is old.

prmd142
03-07-2011, 08:57 AM
this is an attempt by MSM to eat into the RP vote base so that their establishment candidate runs away with the nomination while RP and Gary split each other's votes. Look for more RP Vs Gary push by these media whores.

Carehn
03-07-2011, 09:19 AM
This should make me popular. The market is calling for cheep labor. Government has imposed prise fixing on labor. The black market forms suppling Americans with what the market calls for... Cheap labor from mexico. I am for open borders as well, my way of fixing the "immigration problem" would be to kill the welfare state.

Think about it. If i was a Mexican i would be jumping the border as well. Whats wrong with a guy that wants to voluntarily supply someone with his labor?

Just me i guessl.

TruckinMike
03-07-2011, 09:43 AM
this is an attempt by MSM to eat into the RP vote base so that their establishment candidate runs away with the nomination while RP and Gary split each other's votes. Look for more RP Vs Gary push by these media whores.

...And look for more Ron Paul supporters to feed into it.

TMike

TruckinMike
03-07-2011, 10:06 AM
Whats wrong with a guy that wants to voluntarily supply someone with his labor?

Nothing, so long as we don't live in a "democracy" and our governments strictly adhere to the Constitution. However, as it is, we don't live in that world.

TMike

CUnknown
03-07-2011, 10:30 AM
I fear that we will not be able to focus on any other candidate like we will on Ron if he runs. A divided Revolution won't be very effective. We need focus, we need Ron!!

Original_Intent
03-07-2011, 10:53 AM
I know it would take some major doing to get me as motivated for anyone else. Such as Ron giving them a huge endorsement basically singing their praises how great they were. Even then, no one has the record and the steadfastness in the face of opposition that Ron has. Anyone else is going to feel like someone trying to co-opt the Ron Paul movement to me. I ahve got huge hopes for Rand and Mike Lee, but I really want to see how they hold up under the pressure for a few years before I invest the trust in them that I have in Ron. And some of the other names that have been tossed around, like Gary Johnson....sorry, I am just not feeling the excitement.

freshjiva
03-07-2011, 11:25 AM
The rise of Gary Johnson over the next 15 months is by far my biggest fear.

If the Liberty movement does not stay strong and united behind one man, we will have zero chance of winning a national election.

I pray that Gary has the wisdom to understand that running for Senate and building up name recognition is the greater service to to the cause of liberty. Running for President in 2012 will accomplish nothing, but only hurt our cause.

Run for Senate, Gary!

FiannaPaul
03-07-2011, 12:17 PM
"Johnson is telegenic, media-savvy..."

Really??

erowe1
03-07-2011, 12:24 PM
He can't be worse than Giuliani... what's the situation with his ex-wife?

That's true. But Giuliani wouldn't stand a chance of getting the Republican nomination either.

Doug8796
03-07-2011, 12:32 PM
I think all Johnson voters should go with Ron Paul. Let's not split this up!

speciallyblend
03-08-2011, 12:31 AM
Because the economy has already gotten so bad that Mexicans are going back home in droves. By 2012 we will be such an economic wasteland that Americans will probably be immigrating to Mexico.

already asked my housekeeper at work if i could get a job cleaning her house and tending her farm in mexico:) no joking here, the only thing stopping me from leaving so far is money and decent job! If it gets worse, i have nothing left to lose!! fleeing south is not as far a reach as some think!!

speciallyblend
03-08-2011, 12:33 AM
The rise of Gary Johnson over the next 15 months is by far my biggest fear.

If the Liberty movement does not stay strong and united behind one man, we will have zero chance of winning a national election.

I pray that Gary has the wisdom to understand that running for Senate and building up name recognition is the greater service to to the cause of liberty. Running for President in 2012 will accomplish nothing, but only hurt our cause.

Run for Senate, Gary!

I was at cpac, Ron Paul 2012, the only fire gary had was my loud ass cheering Paul/Johnson 2012 Ticket:)

nathanmn
03-08-2011, 01:40 PM
http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/309253/may-10-2010/gary-johnson

I didn't even know he was on Colbert, has this been posted here before?