PDA

View Full Version : Article: GOP candidate Debra Medina aims for acceptance

LibertyEagle
12-17-2009, 05:35 AM
http://www.kvue.com/news/politics/GOP-candidate-Debra-Medina-aims-for-acceptance-79124627.html

GOP candidate Debra Medina aims for acceptance

by BRAD WATSON / WFAA-TV

Posted on December 12, 2009 at 9:20 AM

DENTON - Gov. Rick Perry and Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison have taken up most of the attention in the fight for the Republican nomination for governor, but gun-toting Debra Medina says she should be heard, too.

Medina, who is running for governor as a Republican, courts the Libertarian-Tea Party wing of the GOP, and is a strong supporter of gun owner rights.

The right to carry a gun isn't just a principle to Medina, it's also protection.

"I'm interested in protecting myself from the crime and I think our leadership needs to be more vocal in reminding people of that," she said.

Medina, who doesn't hold a concealed handgun permit because she claims it's government interference, keeps a semi-automatic pistol in her car while campaigning. It's a legal arrangement; the Texas State Rifle Association says is okay as long as the weapon stays out of sight in the vehicle.

"I recognize, as our founders did, that the police can't get there fast enough," she said.

The Second Amendment rights issue loads well into her anti-tax, pro-life and Tea-Party oriented campaign. But, during a stop in Denton County,she said the green kind of ammo - money - is hard to come by, which makes it hard to compete with Perry and Hutchison.

She's airing a TV ad in just five cities this weekend, which isn't enough to sharply broaden her name statewide. But, she hopes to raise her single-digit standing in polls to qualify to appear in two upcoming statewide debates.

"There are many Texans who don't know they have another choice, and it's really important that I'm on that stage so they recognize this is a three-man race," she said.

Medina said she doesn't accept the role of spoiler. She campaigns to be taken seriously and is ready for any serious challenge to her safety.

"And it goes with me everywhere I go," she said while packing up her gun in her vehicle.

Video:
http://www.kvue.com/v/?i=79124627

kathy88
12-17-2009, 05:38 AM
Texans will eat her up if they are given a fair look.

Austrian Econ Disciple
12-17-2009, 08:24 AM
I still contend as long as she gets in the debates she'll win! We have to bust our asses off to get her in, I'm confident we will.