PDA

View Full Version : Congress attempts to bring back War Bonds

Matt Collins
12-16-2009, 06:07 PM
Lawmakers in both houses of Congress have introduced legislation to pay for the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq by using a method that’s a throwback to prior U.S. conflicts: war bonds.

SOURCE:
http://politics.nashvillepost.com/2009/12/16/war-bonds-attempts-a-comeback/

Matt Collins
12-16-2009, 06:07 PM
Although I dislike the idea of funding either of these two invasions/occupations, at least WB's are voluntary (for now).

awake
12-16-2009, 06:10 PM
WB's are a notorious government scam... give the government your money now and you will get devalued dollars in return.

Bruno
12-16-2009, 06:11 PM
WB's are a notorious government scam... give the government your money now and you will get devalued dollars in return.

Ron speaks about that fact in End the Fed. That and all the rationing and drives done during WWI and WWII helped the public feel good, but didn't provide much substantial relief.

Matt Collins
12-16-2009, 06:13 PM
WB's are a notorious government scam... give the government your money now and you will get devalued dollars in return.Yeah I can see it only being a matter of time before Congress and Obama begin issuing decrees that all 401(k)s and Roth IRAs must contain a certain % of federal war bonds.:mad:

If you don't help out the government then you are obviously unpatriotic. :rolleyes:

Cowlesy
12-16-2009, 06:17 PM
Well we all need to share the burden by paying or investing our fair share.

Sounds so innocuous, doesn't it?

MN Patriot
12-16-2009, 06:22 PM
The Federal Reserve Bank can buy the war bonds. They have lots of money.

Pericles
12-16-2009, 06:34 PM
Why not? And while we are at it:

Health Care Bonds to finance that scheme.

Education Bonds to finance that department.

Park Bonds to finance the Interior Department.

And so on. Let's see what gets people and organizations to invest in that activity....:D

Cowlesy
12-16-2009, 06:38 PM

And so on. Let's see what gets people and organizations to invest in that activity....:D

Oh wait, Americans are choking on their own credit card debt...I'm sure everyone is going to make money appear out of thin air to buy these bonds.

If these thing had a 12% coupon and the principle indexed to inflation, I'd consider it.

Bruno
12-16-2009, 06:40 PM

And that on top of the actual taxes and the inflation tax