PDA

View Full Version : Race becomes an issue during campaign for Obama’s old Illinois Senate seat

bobbyw24
12-16-2009, 06:35 AM
Wait--I thought with Obama's election America was "post-racial"??

By Sean J. Miller - 12/16/09 06:00 AM ET

Rep. Bobby Rush claims that the “white-dominated” media are ignoring an African-American candidate running for President Obama’s old Senate seat.

In an interview with The Hill, Rush also said the black community in Illinois is worried that Sen. Roland Burris’s (D-Ill.) retirement will leave the chamber without an African-American member.

“When Roland retires, then there is the possibility again we will turn back to an all-white Senate. There’s something wrong with that.

“In America in 2010, no African-Americans in the U.S. Senate — that is something that needs to be addressed,” Rush said. “It’s a stain on the flag of democracy.”

Rush supports the only black candidate running for Obama’s old Senate seat, former Chicago Urban League President Cheryle Robinson Jackson (D).

Her two main rivals for the Democratic nomination, Illinois state Treasurer Alexi Giannoulias (D) and former Chicago Inspector General David Hoffman, are white.

Jackson’s supporters, including Rush and Rep. Danny Davis (D-Ill.), have said that the seat doesn’t belong to an African-American. But they believe race will be a factor in the primary.

Davis said, “I think [Jackson is] going to pick up lots of support … I think symbolism will go a long way. Just as I think people are thinking of the symbolism of Barack Obama, there are many African-American females who are going back to the symbolism even of a Carol Moseley Braun, and the fact that Carol, an African-American female, was the senator even before Barack. … I think that African-American females recognize the importance of having women in public office, and here they are getting two for one.”

Some political observers say the symbolism of an office previously held by the first black president resonates with some voters.

“I think among African-American voters in Illinois, particularly older African-American voters who are really attuned to history, I think they would like to see this remain in African-American hands,” said Laura Washington, a professor at DePaul University and a columnist for the Chicago Sun-Times.

“But in order to get them fired up and get them to care enough to show up at the polls you’ve got to talk about race, and that’s when you get into trouble,” Washington added. After a turbulent year in Illinois politics, trouble is not what the Democrats need.

http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/72431-race-an-issue-in-campaign-for-obamas-senate-seat