PDA

View Full Version : A Creed of Freedom, for those lost to the Tea Parties

Ethek
12-15-2009, 10:35 PM
Someone in another thread said this video should have its own thread. I agree. I did post it after all.

Lots of discussion recently about candidates labeling themselves as libertarian or republican. Debating points about being betrayed Libertarians running under Republican tickets or being pure to liberty. Quoting the video below is my attempt at a wake up call. This is the most important 15 minutes everyone in the liberty movement needs to hear and what I feel everyone must understand.

Very few in the Tea Parties actually understand any of it. They are just angry and unproductive. Go ahead and start at 49min 40seconds.

An Idea Whose Time Has Come - G. Edward Griffin - Freedom Force International (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6015291679758430958#49m40s)

My thoughts on this:

Yes we must regain power but the point to understand, the key, as Griffin discusses is that there must be a philosophy, a creed. Weather a candidate is libertarian or republican it does not matter. Party registration is important in that it enables a vote. If it is a protest vote thats fine, but ask yourself is the object of that protest vote any better? You may vote for a single individual in a minority party or a principled individual to be thrown into the corruption of the two party duopoly.

Does that person receiving your vote have a framework that G Edward Griffin talks about? Do they hold to the creed? Do they have that set of standards to protect you from the power they wield over you. If not, any movement under any label will be co opted by the agendas of the candidates as they assume an elected position. The framework can be the Constitution itself or some proxy until a working constitution can be restored.

The reality now is that someone running for office will need to play politics in the two party system. Republicans and Democrats love to throw up divisive issues. I say Issues will kill this movement. It promotes a focus on that misconception that this country is a democracy. Democracy is, as many know, simply tyranny of the majority where 51% feel justified telling the other 49% how to live. Issues give that misconception power and influence.

A 'philosophy of liberty' will need to be the transcending objective. Above the issues. At times it might just have to be the phrase itself, used as a passcode to convey a message for those that know. It is up to us to know and breath that philosophy and hold it to our selected candidates. The only response we may hope to get back from these candidates in the current climate is a nod and an appeal to trust, even that may be unvoiced. The challenge that any liberty candidate today faces can be summed up with Ron Paul's quote 'Truth is treason in an empire of lies.'

That is your route for a peaceful revolution.

finally,
-Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable. John F. Kennedy

decide what your principles really are.

MN Patriot
12-16-2009, 05:37 AM
Thank you for posting this in its own thread. Need to keep bumping it so people notice it and watch it.

One of the keep points he makes is you must be in power to defend freedom. Libertarians avoid power for themselves, and condemn power seekers. We need to change that.

G Edward Griffin is one of the greatest unknown advocates for freedom. The mainstream media never mentions him.

evilfunnystuff
12-16-2009, 05:46 AM
http://www.freedomforceinternational.org/freedom.cfm?fuseaction=creed

The Creed of Freedom

Introduction by G. Edward Griffin

There is nothing more common in history than for oppressed people to rise up against their masters and, at great cost in treasure and blood, throw off the old regime, only to discover that they have replaced it with one that is just as bad or worse. That is because it is easy to know what we dislike about a political system but not so easy to agree on what would be better. For most of history, it has been the habit of men to focus on personalities rather than principles. They have thought that the problem was with the man who rules, not with the system that sustains him. So, they merely replace one despot for another, thinking that, somehow, the new one will be more wise and benevolent. Even if the new ruler has good intentions, he may be corrupted by the temptations of power; and, in those rare cases where he is not, he eventually is replaced by another who is not as self-restrained. As long as the system allows it, it is just a matter of time before a new despot will rise to power. To prevent that from happening, it is necessary to focus on the system itself, not on personalities. To do that, it is just as important to know what we are for as it is to know what we are against.

Even today, with so much talk about fighting to defend freedom, who can stand up and define what that means? For some, freedom means merely not being in jail. Who can define the essence of personal liberty? Who can look you in the eye and say: "This I believe, and I believe it for this reason and this reason and this reason also." The world is dying for something to believe in, a statement of principles that leaves no room for misunderstanding; a creed that everyone of good faith toward their fellow human beings can accept with clarity of mind and strength of resolve. There is an old saying that if you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything. The Creed of Freedom that you are about to read is the rock-solid ground that will allow us to stand firm against all the political nostrums of our day, and those in the future as well.

The Creed of Freedom expresses the core ideology that binds all members together. This is not like the platform of a political party that typically is a position statement on a long list of specific issues and which changes from year to year to accommodate the shifting winds of popular opinion. Instead, it is stated in terms of broad principles that do not change over time and that are not focused on specific issues at all. If these principles are followed, then most of the vexing political and social issues of the day can be quickly resolved in confidence that the resulting action will be consistent with justice and freedom.

Although I have authored the Creed, I cannot claim credit for it. Anyone familiar with the classical treatises on freedom will recognize that most of its concepts have been taken from the great thinkers and writers of the past. My role has been merely to read the literature, identify the concepts, organize them into logical sequence, and condense them into a single page.

When you read the Creed, please be aware that it is a summary of a much longer dissertation. It cannot be fully appreciated until after reading the explanations, definitions, and arguments to support it. Although the Creed appears here first, it is recommended that, after reading it, you follow the link at the bottom of this section that takes you to the more complete explanation.

THE CREED OF FREEDOM

INTRINSIC NATURE OF RIGHTS
I believe that only individuals have rights, not the collective group; that these rights are intrinsic to each individual, not granted by the state; for if the state has the power to grant them, it also has the power to deny them, and that is incompatible with personal liberty.
I believe that a just state derives its power solely from its citizens. Therefore, the state must never presume to do anything beyond what individual citizens also have the right to do. Otherwise, the state is a power unto itself and becomes the master instead of the servant of society.

SUPREMACY OF THE INDIVIDUAL
I believe that one of the greatest threats to freedom is to allow any group, no matter its numeric superiority, to deny the rights of the minority; and that one of the primary functions of a just state is to protect each individual from the greed and passion of the majority.

FREEDOM OF CHOICE
I believe that desirable social and economic objectives are better achieved by voluntary action than by coercion of law. I believe that social tranquility and brotherhood are better achieved by tolerance, persuasion, and the power of good example than by coercion of law. I believe that those in need are better served by charity, which is the giving of one's own money, than by welfare, which is the giving of other people's money through coercion of law.

EQUALITY UNDER LAW
I believe that all citizens should be equal under law, regardless of their national origin, race, religion, gender, education, economic status, life style, or political opinion. Likewise, no class should be given preferential treatment, regardless of the merit or popularity of its cause. To favor one class over another is not equality under law.

PROPER ROLE OF THE STATE
I believe that the proper role of the state is negative, not positive; defensive, not aggressive. It is to protect, not to provide; for if the state is granted the power to provide for some, it must also be able to take from others, and that always leads to legalized plunder and loss of freedom. If the state can give us everything we want, it also must be powerful enough to take from us everything we have. Therefore, the proper function of the state is to protect the lives, liberty, and property of its citizens, nothing more. That state is best which governs least.

THE THREE COMMANDMENTS OF FREEDOM

The Creed of Freedom is based on five principles. However, in day-to-day application, they can be reduced to just three codes of conduct. These are The Three Commandments of Freedom:

INDIVIDUAL RIGHTS
Only individuals have rights, not groups. Therefore, do not sacrifice the rights of any individual or minority for the alleged rights of groups.

EQUALITY UNDER LAW
To favor one class of citizens over others is not equality under law. Therefore, do not endorse any law that does not apply to all citizens equally.

FREEDOM OF CHOICE
The proper function of the state is to protect, not to provide. Therefore, do not approve coercion for any purpose except to protect human life, liberty, or property.

THE THREE PILLARS OF FREEDOM

Another way of viewing these principles is to consider them as the three pillars of freedom. They are concepts that underlie the ideology of individualism, and individualism is the indispensable foundation of freedom.
http://www.freedomforceinternational.org/pics/pillars.gif
For the rational and historical support for The Creed of Freedom, see The Chasm in the Issues section of his site. This 21-page document will take 10 to 45 seconds to load depending on the speed of your Internet connection.

This page revised on 2009 March 30

Ethek
12-16-2009, 08:55 AM
Thanks for posting the 'creed' I had not seen the graphic before.

MN Patriot
12-16-2009, 06:26 PM
1 hour and 23 minutes, but worth watching. Griffin is a good speaker.

Seek the power!

jmdrake
12-16-2009, 07:13 PM
I saw this over a year ago and I'm still moved by it. Yes. It's all about the principles. We've got to take the boat back. Not just re-arrange the chairs!

evilfunnystuff
12-16-2009, 11:24 PM
Thanks for posting the 'creed' I had not seen the graphic before.

no prob thanx for posting the thread i hadnt been to the site in a while though ive been a dues paying member for about a year now and am glad for the reminder to go to the site

there is so much good info on that site it is ridiculous i just wish i had the time to start an official local chapter

i particularly like their CODE OF CONDUCT

http://www.freedomforceinternational.org/freedom.cfm?fuseaction=membership

CODE OF CONDUCT

The following Code of Conduct is incorporated into the Freedom Force Bylaws. All members are bound to its provisions in the furtherance of their mission.

1. The first order is: don’t wait for orders. Freedom Force is not pyramidal but holographic in structure. Therefore, instead of waiting for instructions from a monolithic directorate, become self-directed. Join with others when that is advantageous, but also don’t be afraid to duplicate and parallel their efforts. Experiment. Make mistakes. Find a better way. As long as your activities are consistent with The Creed of Freedom, and this Code of Conduct, the effort will be constructive. What may seem like chaos at first actually is the ferment of creativity and competition. It ultimately will far surpass the output of bureaucratic and dogmatic control from the top and it will allow the movement to spread rapidly into virtually any culture and any part of the world.

2. The principles in the Creed of Freedom are not subject to change. They will be the same a hundred or a thousand years from now. Therefore, disobey any directive from Freedom Force that, in your opinion, violates the Creed of Freedom.

3. Organizational policies are not in the same category as the Creed. They can be altered as required by experience. Do not hesitate to offer suggestions for their improvement. If leadership councils do not adopt your suggestions, respect their decision and refrain from creating factions. Membership is voluntary; but, while we are members, we are expected to abide by these policies. Victory is possible only through unity.

4. Don’t trust your leaders. That applies to Freedom Force as well as in politics. Don’t expect them to be saints. Most of them are corruptible under the right circumstances. Your job is to watch them like a hawk. Don’t let them violate the Creed or this Code of Conduct. Call attention to their errors, when necessary. If violations are serious, mobilize the power to remove them.

5. Wherever possible, become active in membership organizations that have the potential for affecting public policy. Work with others of like mind within those organizations to become influential. Use that influence to create support for the principles of freedom.

6. Participate in political action. Don’t just go to the polls now and then to vote for candidates selected by others. Become part of the process that chooses candidates in the first place. Hold loyalty to principle above loyalty to party, but remember, those who are not interested in politics will be forever ruled by those who are.

7. Whenever possible, seek employment in government, education, communications, and other institutions where you can exercise strong influence on behalf of freedom. Help others of like mind to obtain similar positions within your work force. Don’t fight city hall. Become city hall.

8. Leadership brings power but also responsibility. When holding positions of authority, adhere to the highest standards of honesty and integrity. Never betray those you lead.

9. Live by your principles without compromise. Let it be known where you stand. You cannot achieve victory by hiding. Popular approval is not your primary concern. You are a warrior. Accept the risks and the consequences. Stand tall in your convictions. Be an example for others.

10. Show tolerance, compassion, and good will toward all. Extend a welcome to members of all races, nationalities, religions, and cultures, provided only that they honor The Creed of Freedom. Expect diversity, knowing that, in spite of differences, our common mission binds us to a genuine global brotherhood.

11. Freedom Force embraces the highest principles shared by the great religions of the world but it is not intended to function as a church. It is open to those of all religious persuasions without requiring acceptance of any particular doctrine. While working with other members, refrain from criticizing or challenging their beliefs. Focus on those things that draw us together rather than those that divide.

12. Totalitarians prefer that we make no distinction between love of country and loyalty to leaders. They want us to believe that dissension is unpatriotic. In truth, opposition to corruption in government is the highest obligation of patriotism. If we are citizens of a collectivist government, we face the challenge of opposing national policies while at the same time demonstrating love of country. This becomes especially difficult at public ceremonies where we are expected to pledge allegiance or stand at attention during the national anthem. Not to do so would be misinterpreted as hostility toward our country and its heritage and would cause us to be isolated from the very people we hope to reach. Therefore, when attending patriotic ceremonies, we should participate freely, knowing that in our conscience we are respecting the feelings and good intentions of our fellow citizens and honoring our country, not our politicians. At Freedom Force meetings, patriotic ceremonies are neither required nor prohibited. That policy is established by the Board of Directors of each chapter depending on local custom and membership preference. If a meeting is held in a private home, the choice is made by the host. We should respect their decisions and move on to the greater business at hand, which is the building of a world in which patriotism and freedom are no longer in conflict.

13. It is tempting to use Freedom Force as a network for promoting professional services and products. However, there is no shorter path to dissention and corruption-of-purpose than to bring marketing programs and business opportunities into our work. Therefore, our meetings and channels of communication may not be used for that purpose no matter how beneficial they may seem. There are two exceptions to this rule. One is the promotion of educational and training materials from The Reality Zone that are essential to our mission. The other is a service provided by Freedom Force Inter- national that evaluates investments to enhance the Freedom Force endowment fund. Advertising on The Reality Zone web site and news channel is the appropriate method of presenting all other commercial messages to our members, because that is entirely separate from our organizational work. (For additional comment on this issue, click here.)

14. The name and logo of Freedom Force International may be used for the promotion and identification of chapter events, materials, and members. It may not be used on personal letterheads or business cards or for commercial purposes. We seek to bring about reform, not through direct interaction with the general population, but indirectly through influence within other organizations that shape public policy. Therefore, although we are proud of our name, it is not essential that it receive widespread recognition. Its best use is to authenticate our materials, identify our members, and provide symbolic reinforcement at membership functions. Any other use is not authorized.

15. We are proud of our membership and should let others know of our affiliation whenever appropriate. In doing so, however, we must not create the impression that we officially represent the organization. This is particularly true when signing letters or other documents. There is difference between saying “I am a member of Freedom Force” and signing a statement as “John Smith, member of Freedom Force.” The first instance would be a simple statement of fact, whereas the second could be perceived as carrying organizational authority. Therefore, signatures should not include a reference to membership.

16. The final rule is read the rules! At every meeting attended by twenty members or more, read aloud The Creed of Freedom and at least five items from this Code of Conduct. The principles contained in these statements are of no consequence if they are forgotten. Reading them aloud in this manner will always keep them in the center of our deliberations. This recitation is the autopilot that will keep us, and those who follow, on the right course - forever.

Ethek
12-18-2009, 10:05 AM
Bump.

MN Patriot
12-18-2009, 06:28 PM
So, I hope people are watching this and thinking about how they will work together to attain power so that we can defend freedom.

Quite frankly, I'm not sure what to do myself. Any suggestions? Griffin didn't give many explicit suggestions, other than to do something.

youngbuck
12-18-2009, 07:09 PM
I highly recommend reading his entire essay (all 4 parts) 'The Chasm.'

Ethek
12-18-2009, 08:06 PM
I have what amounts to a pipe dream at the moment, but one with a very practical path to execution with the right resources. Not really related to the sites in my sig, It is a surprisingly detailed concept at this point.

I could very easily see it being more useful than Google, Facebook, about.com and every PTA in the country for influence, especially among the young . It would work in a way that could enable families to mitigate the negative effects of US Monetary policy and the entire welfare state. It could work outside of the political process but once hitting a tipping point would have the ability to sweep any rot away at the right time. All it would take is a dispersed hosting company in a handful of counties with sheriffs that know what liberty all about.

Like any big web venture It will require a certain group of people knowledgeable in CSS, database work, graphics artists, developers for features and mobile programming and some useful widgets like the ones driving the money bombs. Speaking of that, hiring the services of a few people like GheoberX that made this money bomb video would totally help to hook people in.

Opportunity rising…
YouTube - Ron Paul Rising (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRTDynbHVYQ)
Of Course, it would all be under a creed of freedom/philosophy of liberty.