PDA

View Full Version : Where is the best place to bank?

Havax
12-15-2009, 10:21 PM
I am looking for a practical bank to use. I am currently with Bank of America and feel guilty supporting them with their business with the CFR and ACORN. The only reason I am with them is because they have easy-to-use online banking, and they are everywhere so I don't have to pay ATM fees on 3rd party ATMs very often.

So what should I do and who should I bank with? I was thinking of a credit union but don't know anything about them really. Can someone explain to me the benefits of a credit union over a regular bank? Also, I don't really want to use a local bank because of the lack of their ATM machines around and having to pay the fee constantly.

RevolutionSD
12-15-2009, 10:23 PM
I went with Union Bank, they are more conservative than most and didn't go crazy with loans.

jmdrake
12-15-2009, 10:25 PM
Credit unions are less driven by profit motive so they give you better interest on your account and charge you less on your loan. Many community banks were never caught up in any of the mess that led to the TARP so they're probably safer. The best way to avoid ATM fees is to get on the Dave Ramsey "envelope" system and take out all of the cash you need for the week (or month) at one shot. Be your own ATM. And by gold and silver. The dollar is tanking anyway.

JamesButabi
12-15-2009, 10:34 PM
Go browse your local credit unions. All of mine around here offered better incentives that BOA or Citizens or any main bank by far.

Havax
12-15-2009, 10:39 PM
Go browse your local credit unions. All of mine around here offered better incentives that BOA or Citizens or any main bank by far.

I just read about "EverBank" which offers compensation for any ATM fees charged. Do credit unions offer a service like this?

Matt Collins
12-15-2009, 10:48 PM
A credit union, if you have access to one.