PDA

View Full Version : How were you able to make time for home schooling?

crushingstep7
12-15-2009, 12:03 AM
Both parents usually work... how is it possible to homeschool anymore??

I want it more than anything for my daughter (she's coming in February), but I just don't understand how it would be feasible.

What's your story, and how did you do it??

heavenlyboy34
12-15-2009, 02:55 PM
Never done it myself, but I understand that homeschool co-ops make it easier.

Working Poor
12-15-2009, 03:15 PM
co-ops, determination, being self employed, knowing that they were better off with me. Actually is was better because of bed times and not a having to get ready for school in the mornings being able to travel when it was good for us instead of only when school was out of session. It really was more convenient in many ways. All of my children are self employed and world travelers and love their lives.

UnReconstructed
12-15-2009, 04:07 PM
you can home school anytime and it doesn't take as long as the welfare school.

Brett
12-15-2009, 04:40 PM
I have two friends that are homeschooled. Both cases the mother stayed home and homeschooled (one case is 5 children, all different ages o_o) while the father goes to earn enough for both of them.

crushingstep7
12-16-2009, 12:28 AM
Hm, have to look into that.

And honestly - I've met some kids that were home schooled and I did notice that they were lacking in the social skills area. I'm also concerned that I might not be the best teacher out there, and that it might be good for them to get out of the house and be involved in a more challenging curriculum (private schools, montiserrie, etc.)..

any critique or feedback? Much appreciated everyone. Thank you!

mollymae
12-16-2009, 10:33 PM
And honestly - I've met some kids that were home schooled and I did notice that they were lacking in the social skills area. I'm also concerned that I might not be the best teacher out there, and that it might be good for them to get out of the house and be involved in a more challenging curriculum (private schools, montiserrie, etc.)..

I am not a parent, but I have attended both public and private schools. In my experience--and I'm sure this will sound somewhat silly, but it's true--the public schools were better than the private school, for the most part. The private school I attended ended up being a waste of my parents' money. it just depends on the private school though, I guess. Just be sure to really look into it. Meet the teachers to ensure they're not idiots, observe the other children to ensure they're the type of kids you want your son or daughter to hang out with, enquire about the education itself, and so on.

Southron
12-17-2009, 10:51 AM
Do you really need two incomes?

If you do send your child to government camps don't be surprised when he/she comes back spouting the State propaganda.

Homeschooling is a great option! I know many people who were homeschooled and I have been quite impressed.

If I were you I would live however I can to make it so I could homeschool. If that meant cutting back on my lifestyle, I would do it in a heartbeat.

I wouldn't worry so much about not having the teaching skills. The goal of homeschooling is to teach the children how to teach themselves eventually. I'm sure you could handle the basics and then eventually the child will learn much easier, while you provide guidance.

Also, I sort of have a fondness for classical education and that's about the only way you will teach it unless you have a lot of money.

emazur
12-19-2009, 02:23 PM
Who needs time to home school when the home-school curriculum is largely self-taught? The Robinson Curriculum was created by a Ron Paul supporter who home schooled all his kids:
http://www.robinsoncurriculum.com/

ItsTime
12-19-2009, 02:37 PM
Live beneath your means and actually put your child first?

Baptist
12-27-2009, 02:34 AM

I want it more than anything for my daughter (she's coming in February), but I just don't understand how it would be feasible.

Crishingstep,

No offense but if you really "want it more than anything," then you will make it happen. But most people do not want it more than anything. Most people put forth the excuse "we both work, and we can't afford to have one of us stay home all the time." Again, no offense if this applies to you, but this is simply a lie. Most people in this country can afford to have one wage earner... it just means downgrading your lifestyle. Do you have a nice house? Do you have a nice car? Do you have stupid plasma TVs and a monthly cable bill bill that brainwashes your entire household? Like most people, do you have 3 freaking cell phones to pay for every month?

If you want to homeschool you can make it happen. If you live in a nicer house, then downgrade to a cheap house. If you you live in a cheap house, then live in an apartment or townhome. If you already live in a townhome or apartment, then leave it and live in a mobile home or a trailer park.

If you have a new car, get rid of it and get a reliable used car. If you are already driving used cars, then sell one and make do with simply one car (oh, the hardships I'm recommending). Have cell phones? Save yourself $50-$100+ a month and get rid of them. Get rid of the cable or satellite TV. Stop eating out and buy groceries with coupons.

This is the stuff you would do if you wanted more than anything to homeschool your daughter.

Sadly, most people who "want" to homeschool do not because they value electronic toys, newer cars, a nicer house, easting out/fast food, and convenience over who is going to train and raise their child. Sadly, the truth of the matter is, that most people care about material objects more than the education of their children.

We are homeschooling, period. We would rather live dirt poor in a trailer with no car than send our kid to be brainwashed by the federal government and liberal or godless teachers. The few hours a day you spend with your daughter cannot compete with eight hours of brainwashing by teachers. The few hours you spend teaching your daughter values cannot compete with eight hours of crap she will learn from her fellow students. This is why your daughter will have a good chance of, not only coming home with a brainwashed education, but experimenting with drugs and violating her honor so that some teenage kid can violate her for the night.

If you are burdened to homeschool, then do it. Make it happen. I will post some links and useful information when I get a chance.

[edit] I was homeschooled for high school and all of my younger siblings were homeschooled. I agree with Abe about homeschooled kids being "weird." If weird means unnatural or different, then yes, compared to the masses of public schooled kids homeschoolers are weird. Homeschoolers tend to know more about American history, whereas public schoolers tend to know more about celebrities and sports. Homeschoolers tend to revere God, while public schoolers are OK with the fact that they evolved from primordial balls of ooze.

There is plenty of literature out there that proves that homeschoolers are exposed to more social gatherings than public kids. Even Ron Paul has acknowledged this.

I am currently getting a degree at a "good university" where I'm sure most of my fellow classmates went to public schools. Are any of them smart? Yes lots. But I can tell you that the vast majority of them are brain-dead zombies who cannot carry on a conversation about anything outside of celebrities and sports. Most of the time I'm the professor's favorite in every class I'm in. Just last semester one of them told me "it's students like you that make me enjoy my job." My very first semester in college my teacher asked if I was homeschooled because I "think outside the box" and ask questions.

These kids I'm in school with have no backbone and no cajones. I am very vocal about philosophical, political, and religious issues in class. I have NEVER had a fellow student raise their hand in class to challenge me, or stand up for their opinion ( and I know they disagree with me because my opinions are in the minority).

I suggest you find homeschool gatherings in your town and attend them to see how the kids act and interact with each other. Then go to the nearest large university and stand in the hallways and listen to the conversations of the brain-dead zombies, most of whom went to public school.

[edit 2] Sorry if I come off as mean. I am just very disturbed by what I've witnessed going to college. The future of our country does not look good. I go to what is considered an excellent school, and the kids here are DUMB. I'm not trying to be mean, but it's the truth. Our country is in big trouble.

Baptist
12-27-2009, 03:59 AM
any critique or feedback? Much appreciated everyone. Thank you!

Start by watching these.

Patrick Carmack on classical education (starts at 4 minutes):
youtube.com/watch?v=kRBUQ7EFbgs
Part II (first 2 minutes):
youtube.com/watch?v=KBR9k-dCHi8

John Gatto on state controlled consciousness:
youtube.com/watch?v=8ogCc8ObiwQ

Then go through these archives (http://www.alexjonespodcasts.com/archive/) and download the following three dates:
11/28/07
12/07/07
1/23/08
Just right click and save as .mp3
This is a three-part interview Alex did with John Taylor Gatto. Find those in the MP3s. One is 30 mins, the other two are an hour.

Then go to Barnes n' Noble used or Amazon used and buy his books Weapons of Mass Distraction and Underground History of American Education. If you don't have money one book is free on his website or on the Campaign For Liberty site.

While you wait for those to come in the mail search YouTube for "Charlotte Iserbyt" and watch her videos. I believe her book is also for free on her site.

romacox
12-27-2009, 07:48 AM
The biggest influx to the home school market now are teachers. The reasons they give are very interesting. Here is an article abpit that:

http://ezinearticles.com/?Thinking-About-Homeschooling?-Teachers-Are&id=2499296

To do more research about how to home school, and if you should or not, I recommend you contact a large home school organization in your area. In Florida it is Florida Parent Educators Association. I will give you their website as they may be able to help you find an organization in your State.

http://www.fpea.com/

Also be sure to attend the Convention. There you will find curriculum (far better than what the Government approves for the Public schools), Workshops from how to teach your child to starting a business, and networking with other parents who are experienced.

Your State organization should be able to connect you with co-ops in which parents take turns teaching the subjects they are best at allowing your child to socialize. Co-ops also provide field trips, graduation ceremonies and more.

If I can be of more help let me know. Children's education is so very important... it is a passion of mine.

Working Poor
12-27-2009, 08:14 AM
Crishingstep,

No offense but if you really "want it more than anything," then you will make it happen. But most people do not want it more than anything. Most people put forth the excuse "we both work, and we can't afford to have one of us stay home all the time." Again, no offense if this applies to you, but this is simply a lie. Most people in this country can afford to have one wage earner... it just means downgrading your lifestyle. Do you have a nice house? Do you have a nice car? Do you have stupid plasma TVs and a monthly cable bill bill that brainwashes your entire household? Like most people, do you have 3 freaking cell phones to pay for every month?

If you want to homeschool you can make it happen. If you live in a nicer house, then downgrade to a cheap house. If you you live in a cheap house, then live in an apartment or townhome. If you already live in a townhome or apartment, then leave it and live in a mobile home or a trailer park.

If you have a new car, get rid of it and get a reliable used car. If you are already driving used cars, then sell one and make do with simply one car (oh, the hardships I'm recommending). Have cell phones? Save yourself $50-$100+ a month and get rid of them. Get rid of the cable or satellite TV. Stop eating out and buy groceries with coupons.

This is the stuff you would do if you wanted more than anything to homeschool your daughter.

Sadly, most people who "want" to homeschool do not because they value electronic toys, newer cars, a nicer house, easting out/fast food, and convenience over who is going to train and raise their child. Sadly, the truth of the matter is, that most people care about material objects more than the education of their children.

We are homeschooling, period. We would rather live dirt poor in a trailer with no car than send our kid to be brainwashed by the federal government and liberal or godless teachers. The few hours a day you spend with your daughter cannot compete with eight hours of brainwashing by teachers. The few hours you spend teaching your daughter values cannot compete with eight hours of crap she will learn from her fellow students. This is why your daughter will have a good chance of, not only coming home with a brainwashed education, but experimenting with drugs and violating her honor so that some teenage kid can violate her for the night.

If you are burdened to homeschool, then do it. Make it happen. I will post some links and useful information when I get a chance.

[edit] I was homeschooled for high school and all of my younger siblings were homeschooled. I agree with Abe about homeschooled kids being "weird." If weird means unnatural or different, then yes, compared to the masses of public schooled kids homeschoolers are weird. Homeschoolers tend to know more about American history, whereas public schoolers tend to know more about celebrities and sports. Homeschoolers tend to revere God, while public schoolers are OK with the fact that they evolved from primordial balls of ooze.

There is plenty of literature out there that proves that homeschoolers are exposed to more social gatherings than public kids. Even Ron Paul has acknowledged this.

I am currently getting a degree at a "good university" where I'm sure most of my fellow classmates went to public schools. Are any of them smart? Yes lots. But I can tell you that the vast majority of them are brain-dead zombies who cannot carry on a conversation about anything outside of celebrities and sports. Most of the time I'm the professor's favorite in every class I'm in. Just last semester one of them told me "it's students like you that make me enjoy my job." My very first semester in college my teacher asked if I was homeschooled because I "think outside the box" and ask questions.

These kids I'm in school with have no backbone and no cajones. I am very vocal about philosophical, political, and religious issues in class. I have NEVER had a fellow student raise their hand in class to challenge me, or stand up for their opinion ( and I know they disagree with me because my opinions are in the minority).

I suggest you find homeschool gatherings in your town and attend them to see how the kids act and interact with each other. Then go to the nearest large university and stand in the hallways and listen to the conversations of the brain-dead zombies, most of whom went to public school.

[edit 2] Sorry if I come off as mean. I am just very disturbed by what I've witnessed going to college. The future of our country does not look good. I go to what is considered an excellent school, and the kids here are DUMB. I'm not trying to be mean, but it's the truth. Our country is in big trouble.

Baptist you are so right on with this. If you really want to HS you will find a way. There are many groups of people who home school their children. HS is much quicker as you do not have to spend over half of your time disciplining. In my state in order to home school you have to think up a name for your school and fill out a short form. There are many resources for HS curriculum on the internet.

It took my babes usually less than 2 weeks to go thru a quarter. They joined all kinds of groups; movie groups, sports groups, music groups, went to church on Sunday and joined in with them on trips and activities. They had plenty of "social" contact. It really does depend on how many excuses you have to conquer .

angelatc
12-27-2009, 08:56 PM

I can't do it and I am a SAHM mom. But keep in mind that it takes a lot less time to homeschool. When you look at the schedules of the public school kids, they have a lot of stuff you can cut out, especially in the younger grades. Art is essentially coloring and/or crafts , and music lessons are available on YouTube or on Saturdays at the music store. A half hour of spelling and a half hour of math is more than they get in school.

In elementary school, they have gym, recess and lunch which takes up 2-3 hours of their day. At home, you can send them outside.

toowm
01-21-2010, 06:04 PM
I very much second the idea of the Robinson curriculum. Dr. Robinson faced a tragic challenge when his wife unexpectedly passed away, leaving his children without their mother and teacher. He worked up a rigorous self-study curriculum that the children could follow with his presence (he is a scientist doing research at home) without him "teaching." Please don't think that the ability of your children to learn is based on your teaching skills -- it is based on your ability to love them and demonstrate the values of hard work and life-long learning.

In our own case, my wife did stay at home, which is not as much of an adjustment when you consider the total cost of taxes, commute, wardrobe, etc. I help out on evenings and weekends with sports, church activities and one of the best math teams in the state!

One final note on the "teaching" aspect. My wife and kids were profiled in a magazine article about homeschooling. The photographer came over to take some shots of a typical day. This meant that the kids were in three different locations, with my wife at her own computer. He actually posed them sitting around the kitchen table with her, although I have never seen that in 7 years of school!