PDA

View Full Version : How can I respond to this?

ForLibertyFight
10-03-2007, 09:51 PM
Eliminating the IRS, Postal Service, and some of the departments of the government. I think some of those ideas have potential, but its just going to be a bunch of massive layoffs. And I think i'll feel a bit naked without the department of education, and defense, etc.

I just don't think I have faith in some states to efficiently set education standards, and other standards, when theres a lot of backwards culture in those states - particularly the south.

This was written in a sports fourm and are there any specific plans by Dr. No?

thomaspaine23
10-03-2007, 09:55 PM
Eliminating the IRS, Postal Service, and some of the departments of the government. I think some of those ideas have potential, but its just going to be a bunch of massive layoffs. And I think i'll feel a bit naked without the department of education, and defense, etc.

I just don't think I have faith in some states to efficiently set education standards, and other standards, when theres a lot of backwards culture in those states - particularly the south.

This was written in a sports fourm and are there any specific plans by Dr. No?

The country went ~150 years without an IRS. In that time it became one of the if not THE most prosperous nation in the world. The department of Education was not even CREATED until 1980. It has spent Billions and ever since schools have gotten worse.

Both Defense and the Post office are constitutional so they'd stay.

As for social programs etc paul has said we need to transition off of them.

Abobo
10-03-2007, 09:57 PM

Then amend the constitution ;)

OK, the alternate answer would be to actually look at the numbers. Since the department of education was created have schools gotten better or worse? Worse. Has it improved the education of children -- like the number graduating, the number who can read and write, etc? No. Has it done anything besides create a new unconstitutional bureaucracy? No!

rajibo
10-03-2007, 09:58 PM
Article 1, Section 8, of the U.S. Constitution says that Congress “shall have power to lay and collect taxes, duties, imposts and excises to pay the debts and provide for the common defense and general welfare of the United States ... and to establish post offices and post roads.” In the exercise of this responsibility, one of the nation’s first congressional acts was to pass legislation setting forth the purpose and scope of the nation’s mail system.

http://www.apwu.org/dept/presvp/magart-06may.htm

Abobo
10-03-2007, 10:04 PM
Article 1, Section 8, of the U.S. Constitution says that Congress “shall have power to lay and collect taxes, duties, imposts and excises to pay the debts and provide for the common defense and general welfare of the United States ... and to establish post offices and post roads.” In the exercise of this responsibility, one of the nation’s first congressional acts was to pass legislation setting forth the purpose and scope of the nation’s mail system.

http://www.apwu.org/dept/presvp/magart-06may.htm

But it doesn't say anyone else who wants to privately deliver mail should be imprisoned. UPS can only accept small documents and letters if they are for rushed delivery. If they offered something similar to what the post office does they would be shutdown. Now, does that sound right in a free society?

I don't think RP has ever called for the post office to be shut down, but he has said he wants to legalize competition and choice. And since a free open market will always out perform a socialized system eventually no one would use the post office.

rajibo
10-03-2007, 10:08 PM
But it doesn't say anyone else who wants to privately deliver mail should be imprisoned. UPS can only accept small documents and letters if they are for rushed delivery. If they offered something similar to what the post office does they would be shutdown. Now, does that sound right in a free society?

I don't think RP has ever called for the post office to be shut down, but he has said he wants to legalize competition and choice. And since a free open market will always out perform a socialized system eventually no one would use the post office.

I hear ya. Also, for the first half of my life it cost $.25 to mail a letter. Since then it's gone up every couple of years....

RevolutionSD
10-03-2007, 10:11 PM
The country went ~150 years without an IRS. In that time it became one of the if not THE most prosperous nation in the world. The department of Education was not even CREATED until 1980. It has spent Billions and ever since schools have gotten worse.

Both Defense and the Post office are constitutional so they'd stay.

As for social programs etc paul has said we need to transition off of them.

Japan has a privatized post office.
It's working out fine for them and I would be for that here.

However, I doubt RP would be making THAT his priority.

brumans
10-03-2007, 10:14 PM
To my knowledge Ron Paul never said he wanted to abolish the Postal Service :P
We obviously need that.
He just said he would open up the market and allow competition.

paulpwns
10-03-2007, 10:42 PM

I worked for UPS. You can ship anything there, except explosives, fireworks, guns and booze/cigs.

It is 100% more efficient than USPS.

As much as we hate the USPS, it is 100% constitutional.