PDA

View Full Version : Republican votes bagged by Tea Party

bobbyw24
12-13-2009, 08:02 AM
Christina Lamb in Washington

WHEN Stacy Mott, a stay-at-home mother of three children, started writing a blog after the election of President Barack Obama last year, she had no involvement in politics and simply wanted to vent her frustration at financial bailouts, healthcare reform and legislation to combat climate change.

The former marketing executive at Toys R Us quickly found that she was not alone. One year on, her blog, Smart Girl Politics, is an organisation with 23,000 members and co-ordinators in almost every state.

“There are a huge amount of people out there who are angry at Obama and big government but feel the Republican party is not representing them,” said Rebecca Wales, who left the party’s campaign team to become Smart Girl’s communications director. “What we are seeing is an outpouring of conservative values.”

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00659/News_659028a.jpg

In recent months America has witnessed an astonishing growth in similar right-wing grassroots organisations across the country, loosely grouped under the label Tea Party.

Although it has no leader, no clear origins and a vague objective of “taking back America”, it is emerging as a powerful force in next year’s congressional elections. A poll last week found that if it were a party, the movement’s candidates would be more popular than the Republicans. According to the Rasmussen survey, Democrats have 36% of the vote, the Tea Party 23% and Republicans 18%.

Yet the first mention of the movement came only in February, when a TV reporter named Rick Santelli launched a tirade against the government’s bailout of mortgage companies. His report, which ended up on YouTube, called for a tea party in homage to the 1773 protest in which British tea was emptied into Boston harbour, helping to spark the American revolution. Others say the name stands for “Taxed Enough Already”.

Whatever its origins, the Tea Party first showed its teeth with a rally in Washington in September whose size and venom took everyone by surprise. Tens of thousands of angry protesters massed near Capitol Hill to denounce Obama’s healthcare and spending plans, chanting, “Enough, enough”.

Then, last month, Tea Party supporters showed the electoral damage they could wreak by backing their own right-wing candidate rather than the moderate Republican in a congressional election in New York state. The resulting split led to a Democrat victory.

Tea Party activists now plan to back conservative candidates in next autumn’s mid-term elections. They believe their grassroots support will enable them to raise millions of dollars, drawing on the Obama campaign’s success in using the internet.

FreedomWorks, a Washington-based advocacy group that has helped to organise Tea Party protests and claims 500,000 registered members, says it will start mobilising its support base this month.

“We’re looking at the potential of raising small cheques from a vast number of donors, just as Obama did,” said Matt Kibbe, the group’s president.

“I happen to think the Tea Party movement could make even the Obama machine look obsolete.”

Smart Girl Politics is also among the groups planning to move from selling coffee mugs, T-shirts and mouse mats to forming a political action committee to raise money for candidates. “We’re not trying to be against the Republicans or start a third party,” said Wales. “We want to work with them in identifying conservative candidates.”

Although Republicans try to play down the Tea Party as disparate and divided, their leaders have been placed in a quandary — ditch establishment candidates for the Tea Party’s choice and lose independent votes, or risk splitting the vote in a repeat of New York.

The division is cheering Democrats at a time when Obama’s poll ratings have fallen to 47%, the lowest of any president in his first year of office. Tim Kaine, chairman of the Democratic National Committee, said the conservative movement was “savaging” the Republicans.

The Tea Party is now preparing for its first national convention in February. The headline speaker is Sarah Palin, poster girl of the American right, whose memoir is topping bestseller lists. Her three-week promotional bus tour around the country ended on Thursday after attracting enormous crowds.

Palin is not the only female firebrand embraced by the Tea Party people. “We also like Liz Cheney \ and Michele Bachmann,” said Wales.

Bachmann, 53, arrived in Congress two years ago from Minnesota, and has captured headlines with her denunciations of multiculturalism, arguing that “not all cultures are equal”, her opposition to same-sex marriage and her claims that many scientists reject the theory of evolution.

The mother of five, who has fostered 23 other children and recently described herself as “a loveable little fuzz ball”, is cheered at rallies when she calls the Obama administration a “gangster government”.

Bachmann is a member of the “birthers” who question whether Obama was born in the United States and the “deathers” who claim that government cost-cutting under the president’s healthcare plan would prevent older Americans from receiving vital treatment.

Such views may horrify liberal America but have won her support from the right. The conservative newspaper columnist George Will recently described her as “an authentic representative of the Republican base”.

For Palin and Bachmann, the path to power does not lie in moving up the party leadership ladder, but in ignoring it. They draw their support from media appearances rather than legislative work.

Banners at rallies suggest an ugly racial aspect to some of this support. “Death to Obama” appears on some placards, along with pictures of the president with a Hitler moustache.

“It’s an anger beyond anything I’ve ever seen,” said Sherry Bebitch Jeffe, a professor of politics at the University of Southern California. “It’s fascinating to watch and frightening.”

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/us_and_americas/article6954650.ece

Dunedain
12-13-2009, 08:48 AM
The Tea Party people are the greatest weapon that can be used against the traitors running our country. Unfortunately, the republicans will find that they cannot wield it. Once the average liberty movement person sees Dick Armey at its head and Sean Hannity singing its praises, the fracturing will start and support will collapse.

As Corporal Hick's said in the movie "Aliens": " I know we're all in strung out shape but stay frosty. We can't afford to let one of those bastards in."

catdd
12-13-2009, 08:48 AM
"Yet the first mention of the movement came only in February, when a TV reporter named Rick Santelli launched a tirade against the government’s bailout of mortgage companies. His report, which ended up on YouTube, called for a tea party in homage to the 1773 protest in which British tea was emptied into Boston harbour, helping to spark the American revolution. Others say the name stands for “Taxed Enough Already”.

cough, cough, blowjob....

Dunedain
12-13-2009, 08:53 AM
"Yet the first mention of the movement came only in February, when a TV reporter named Rick Santelli launched a tirade against the government’s bailout of mortgage companies. His report, which ended up on YouTube, called for a tea party in homage to the 1773 protest in which British tea was emptied into Boston harbour, helping to spark the American revolution. Others say the name stands for “Taxed Enough Already”.

cough, cough, blowjob....

Way back in 07 we, The People, pushed the tea party idea. This was the banner I put up all over my workplace. Yes, then Santelli decided to try and co-opt the idea for the elites.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_O2pajSIi_Uw/RziULwOj0qI/AAAAAAAAFEU/YitW47PKsZ8/s1600-h/teaparty07.jpg

catdd
12-13-2009, 09:11 AM
So you were one of the founders of the Tea Party but this Santelli character has gotten the credit... You're a hero to us anyway.

When Rush began saying that the Tea Party was a "grassroots movement" invented by the Republicans, I informed him it started with the RP supporters in 07.
There was a video on youtube of what may have been the original with RP actually tossing a barrel in himself but I'm having trouble finding THAT video again.
YouTube - Austin Tea Party for Ron Paul (FOX coverage) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8LsnbN7d-8&feature=related)

YouTube - Ron Paul Tea Party 07 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oG_OwTthS-E)

catdd
12-13-2009, 10:18 AM
I would like to keep this bumped because it's too important to just slide off the table. There are even RP supporters that believe the Tea Party wasn't hijacked.

parocks
12-13-2009, 10:43 AM
I would like to keep this bumped because it's too important to just slide off the table. There are even RP supporters that believe the Tea Party wasn't hijacked.

They took the name, no doubt. I think we're the "Liberty Movement" not the "Tea Party Movement" though.

If they're going to do a history of it, they should mention Ron Paul.

HOLLYWOOD
12-13-2009, 10:48 AM
Way back in 07 we, The People, pushed the tea party idea. This was the banner I put up all over my workplace. Yes, then Santelli decided to try and co-opt the idea for the elites.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_O2pajSIi_Uw/RziULwOj0qI/AAAAAAAAFEU/YitW47PKsZ8/s1600-h/teaparty07.jpg

Santelli is a big ally... and pro Ron Paul. when Santelli was called upon to run as a Congressman. Rick said, "I'd have to take a shower every hour if I was there..."

Santelli and the CBOE in general are Tea Party independents, not PACs or GSE committees.

klamath
12-13-2009, 11:12 AM

The problem word is hijacked. The tea party movement is real and as it grew from the RP republican roots to what it is today the ideology moved as well. Sure some neocons are jumping on board because they are attracted to the power in the movement. It is up to every individual to determine if the amorphus direction of the Tea party movement is what they wish to support.
Even the RP people are not completely moving in the same direction but we hope the weird amorphus blob we call the movement is going in the overall direction we as individuals are still willing to support.

catdd
12-13-2009, 05:15 PM
They took the name, no doubt. I think we're the "Liberty Movement" not the "Tea Party Movement" though.

If they're going to do a history of it, they should mention Ron Paul.

Well the Tea Party was an integral part of the Liberty Movement, so if it branched off into a "movement" it did so without due respects to Ron Paul and the Liberty Movement.
They never mention RP which shows a certain amount of dishonesty right from the beginning. That's exactly why people are calling it a hijacking.

Brian4Liberty
12-13-2009, 07:56 PM
Palin is not the only female firebrand embraced by the Tea Party people. “We also like Liz Cheney...

Aye Carumba!

devil21
12-13-2009, 08:11 PM
Aye Carumba!

Yeah really. Palin/Cheney 2012! :eek:

More and more everyday I wonder if the GOP is a lost cause, destined to destroy itself.

Ethek
12-13-2009, 08:17 PM
I just wrote a response to another thread.. and I hate to spam. But it does add to the dialog here I want to beg mercy from the mods to crosspost this response.

--------------

Santelli did have his clipped played on Glen Beck. The man had a pretty populist rant on the floor there in Chicago... "who here wants to pay for your neighbors mortgage?" answered with jeers and everything.

Glen pretty much just stumbled into an ready made excuse to rouse up a lot of angry people who are as unprincipled about true liberty as the democrats are unprincipled in how to heed the restraints of the constitution.

If anything we should beat up ourselves for not going door-to-door and instilling in conservatives a true philosophy of liberty and how to apply it to people like Glen Beck.

Lead , follow or get out of the way. Paine gets credit for Common Sense, Glen Beck gets credit for stirring the masses this go around. Luckily we had some principled elites with a grounding in Locks Natural Law to fight the revolution and structure the constitution, not all left to Thomas Paine.

We are the elites of the liberty movement this time. It really can't be denied. Most of us are tied into the tea-Party movement. We have the reason and rational thought among a lot of the irrational people there. People do notice when Ron Paul people speak. It sticks.

Its time to stop bickering and step in to raise the level of the dialog by people in 912 groups. Raise them above the issues and give them that grounding that only a firm knowledge of natural law can bring. Teach them to wield an unshakable set of principles in debates with statists instead of religious slogans and signs with Sarah Palin on them.

If the populist revolution falls flat its not because of Glen Beck, its because Ron Paul's movement did not rise up to the challenge in front of us.

parocks
12-13-2009, 08:41 PM
Ok, well, there was the Ron Paul Tea Party money bomb on 12/16/07. There was also an event that same day in Boston. I don't recall other mentions of Tea Party by Ron Paul. I'm not saying there weren't any.

Whatever the current Tea Party thing is, it isn't an outgrowth of the Ron Paul Liberty thing. It is taking the name that was used though. And, the first time I heard of Tea Party in 2009, I did think that it had something to do with Ron Paul. But I found out quickly it wasn't.

Hijacking would be if people who didn't like Ron Paul took over Campaign for Liberty and kicked out everyone who liked Ron Paul.

Well the Tea Party was an integral part of the Liberty Movement, so if it branched off into a "movement" it did so without due respects to Ron Paul and the Liberty Movement.
They never mention RP which shows a certain amount of dishonesty right from the beginning. That's exactly why people are calling it a hijacking.

catdd
12-13-2009, 09:24 PM
You have a right to your opinion.