PDA

View Full Version : Teapocalypse: The tea party movement fracturing

BenIsForRon
12-12-2009, 02:20 PM
The Daily Show goes on the scene where a Tea Party group in Ohio has split into two idealogical factions.

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/thu-december-10-2009/teapocalypse---the-tea-party-split

Brian4Liberty
12-12-2009, 02:42 PM
Saw that one. It was funny. But the leader of the original Tea Party group was correct: it was all about marginalizing the Tea Party (and related) movements...

Uncle Emanuel Watkins
12-12-2009, 04:25 PM
Saw that one. It was funny. But the leader of the original Tea Party group was correct: it was all about marginalizing the Tea Party (and related) movements...

I've been able to get a lot of fishing in during this big waste of time. You know, it isn't like you can improve on a political natural law. You can't. All you can do is return to it. If someone has created a new natural law, then I'd certainly like to hear it. In the meantime, as I've said over and over:

Freedom (liberty) for the sake of freedom (liberty) is no better than no freedom; equality (responsibility) for the sake of equality (responsibility) is no better than no equality (responsibility): for these ideas are just prerequisites used out of context by tyranny to stir up and disrupt the emotions of the people; while, the U.S. Constitution for the sake of the U.S. Constitution is no better than no U.S. Constitution: for this document created by our Founding Fathers was only intended to set up a necessary tyranny to serve the people's greater Civil-Purpose.

BillyDkid
12-12-2009, 04:47 PM
You know, this is how I see and I may be completely full of it. Those who oppose liberty have been very successful in co-opting and diverting a movement that started with the Ron Paul Campaign. I know some people say that the Tea Party movement is not an extension of what we started and I don't even know about that. But I know the first mention of heard of any Tea Party was associated with supporting Dr. Paul. Now we have people who have nothing in common with our liberty movement, people who supported Dubya and support the invasions and occupation of Iraq and Afghanistan and support theocracy and empire seeming to be central to central to the Tea Party movement. Look, if they want the name, fine, but these people do not really support or believe in liberty and we need to disassociate ourselves from them.

Their only agenda is opposing Obama and the democrats. We oppose them too, but we also oppose the GOP and its agenda I would hope. If libertarianism (devotion to liberty) is not central to what we are about as opposed to partisan participation in the status quo then nothing has or will ever change. You know as well as I do that some political types saw our discontent and our movement as a way to insert themselves into the national dialog. We absolutely have to distinguish ourselves from the right just as much as we have to do from the left. We are not about being "liberal' or "conservative" - those should be personal values. Our leaders shouldn't have enough power that it matters whether they are "liberal" or "conservative". I would hope we are about personal, individual liberty in all aspects of life. It may be that I am reading all of this wrong, but this is how it feels to me.

There is the collectist left and the collectivist right. There are the beltway type libertarians who believe in liberty as it suites them. There is the religious right and the authoritarian right. There are the neo-cons. You have the Palin lovers and the Rush lovers and the Hannity/O'Reilly lovers and the Orlberman and Obama lovers and even Dubya lovers. None of them is on our side. There is every possible stripe of person who's interest lies in fashioning this country in their own image and thinking the government should be doing their bidding. We are none of those people and the only way to recognize that we continue to be none of those people is if all of those people continue to hate us. That is how I know we are in the right - when all of those people with vested interests and self serving agendas find us intolerable.

BillyDkid
12-12-2009, 04:49 PM
Freedom (liberty) for the sake of freedom (liberty) is no better than no freedomThis is exactly where you are wrong.

Uncle Emanuel Watkins
12-12-2009, 04:59 PM
This is exactly where you are wrong.

You can be unhappy and free, but you can't be happy while living under bondage. What happens to an egg when you add heat? What happens to a seed when you add heat and water? Life breaks out. Freedom is not the goal of life but a prerequisite necessary for its contentment.

Uncle Emanuel Watkins
12-12-2009, 05:06 PM
You know, this is how I see and I may be completely full of it. Those who oppose liberty have been very successful in co-opting and diverting a movement that started with the Ron Paul Campaign. I know some people say that the Tea Party movement is not an extension of what we started and I don't even know about that. But I know the first mention of heard of any Tea Party was associated with supporting Dr. Paul. Now we have people who have nothing in common with our liberty movement, people who supported Dubya and support the invasions and occupation of Iraq and Afghanistan and support theocracy and empire seeming to be central to central to the Tea Party movement. Look, if they want the name, fine, but these people do not really support or believe in liberty and we need to disassociate ourselves from them.

Their only agenda is opposing Obama and the democrats. We oppose them too, but we also oppose the GOP and its agenda I would hope. If libertarianism (devotion to liberty) is not central to what we are about as opposed to partisan participation in the status quo then nothing has or will ever change. You know as well as I do that some political types saw our discontent and our movement as a way to insert themselves into the national dialog. We absolutely have to distinguish ourselves from the right just as much as we have to do from the left. We are not about being "liberal' or "conservative" - those should be personal values. Our leaders shouldn't have enough power that it matters whether they are "liberal" or "conservative". I would hope we are about personal, individual liberty in all aspects of life. It may be that I am reading all of this wrong, but this is how it feels to me.

There is the collectist left and the collectivist right. There are the beltway type libertarians who believe in liberty as it suites them. There is the religious right and the authoritarian right. There are the neo-cons. You have the Palin lovers and the Rush lovers and the Hannity/O'Reilly lovers and the Orlberman and Obama lovers and even Dubya lovers. None of them is on our side. There is every possible stripe of person who's interest lies in fashioning this country in their own image and thinking the government should be doing their bidding. We are none of those people and the only way to recognize that we continue to be none of those people is if all of those people continue to hate us. That is how I know we are in the right - when all of those people with vested interests and self serving agendas find us intolerable.

How does any of this supercede the political natural law declared by our Founding Fathers? Do you realize the significance of a natural law? No opposing theory can ever overthrow it. No legal argument will ever exist to challenge it. No alternate philosophy can ever question it. This natural law reduces down to a self evident and unalienable Truth. As in, the Truth will set you free. This means no man outside of the Almighty Himself led me to my liberty, but that great men led me to a self evident and unalienable Truth!