PDA

View Full Version : Be careful using online survey websites!

devil21
12-12-2009, 01:27 AM
I know some will call this paranoid tin foil but that's fine. I notice things that are unusual and sometimes I feel like I need to put it out there. Just words to the wise.

Im a member of an online survey website. It emails me questionnaires and I get credit for answering them, that are then redeemed for rewards. I signed up during the boom in 2006 and pretty much every survey then was about consumer habits. What soft drink do I prefer? Does my business prefer Cisco networking equipment? What kind of car do I plan to buy in the next two years? Stuff like that. Lately, the surveys have changed noticably. Yeah, that's to be expected but they've changed in a decidedly (at least in IMHO) government-oriented direction. Questions that seem more appropriate for a government to want to know than for a marketing firm to want to know.

Recently Ive been asked what the annual revenue of my company is...repeatedly. Ive been asked if I own guns and if I enjoy hunting. Ive been asked where I live...repeatedly. Ive been asked very specific questions about who I bank with, both personal and business. Ive been asked if I keep cash. That's just a few lately. Each one could be easily explained away (guns and hunting b/c of the season, banking b/c of obvious bank issues, etc) but it's been a sudden and abrupt change.

Anyway my point is that it's not far fetched to consider if gov't stimulus money is going to these survey firms to data mine for government. Most of their consumer marketing cash is drying up so they'll shift to where the cash is flowing from and that's .gov.

http://www.drudge.com/archive/124563/tax-man-uses-myspace-nab-deadbeats <---if that's possible then anything is possible.