PDA

View Full Version : Time mag claims "Uganda's Anti-Gay Bill: Inspired by the U.S."

Liberty Star
12-11-2009, 10:47 PM
Leave it to Time mag to tell us who how inspiration works:

http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1946645,00.html?xid=rss-topstories

BlackTerrel
12-12-2009, 12:41 AM
I think gays are a bit odd myself and probably wouldn't want to befriend one.

That said, why are US evangelicals pushing anti-gay laws in Uganda. I always think when someone is so anti-something (in this case anti-gay) they are overcompensating for something.

Liberty Star
12-12-2009, 12:50 PM
Your first comment seems bit unfriendly towards some people, "love for all" doctrine would apply to people of all gender orientations one would think.

Comment on evangelicals also seems uncalled for, big majority of evangelicals are moderates on this issue. Another reason for so much foreign focus could be that evangelicals seem to have been run out of Washignton lately as part of so called "punishment" for their Iraqi freedom push, they may have more clout in Uganda now than they do in Washington. This news made headlines just couple of days ago:

Gay House members say gay-friendly bills are near

By LISA LEFF (AP) – 6 days ago

SAN FRANCISCO — Two of Congress's three openly gay members said Saturday that the U.S. House is poised to pass bills to provide health coverage for the same-sex partners of gay federal workers and to protect all gay and transgender employees from job discrimination.

Speaking to an international conference of gay politicians in San Francisco, U.S. Reps. Tammy Baldwin, D-Wis., and Jared Polis, D-Colo., said they expect a domestic partner benefits bill to come up for a vote by the end of the year and the employment bill to reach the floor early in 2010.

The lawmakers said they are also confident that the House will include in the annual military spending bill next year a provision to repeal the law that bans gays from serving in the U.S. military

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gA_feoEOL_XDslGZdOFqbNFPEEcwD9CDJH900

BlackTerrel
12-12-2009, 03:51 PM
Your first comment seems bit unfriendly towards some people, "love for all" doctrine would apply to people of all gender orientations one would think.

Yeah I don't really ascribe to any "love for all" philosophy. I think it's weird, that's all. Same way I think it's weird that someone has a shoe fetish or a furry fetish or likes to be whipped with an apple in his mouth. They have a right to do whatever they want, and I have a right not to want to associate with psychos.

Comment on evangelicals also seems uncalled for, big majority of evangelicals are moderates on this issue. Another reason for so much foreign focus could be that evangelicals seem to have been run out of Washignton lately as part of so called "punishment" for their Iraqi freedom push, they may have more clout in Uganda now than they do in Washington. This news made headlines just couple of days ago

I didn't mean all evangelicals I meant the ones that are pushing for this legislation. Why do they care if there are gays in Uganda?