PDA

View Full Version : Dr Peter Watts, Canadian science fiction writer, beaten and arrested at US border

GunnyFreedom
12-11-2009, 07:14 PM
(From BoingBoing)

Dr Peter Watts, Canadian science fiction writer, beaten and arrested at US border

My friend, the wonderful sf writer Peter Watts was beaten without provocation and arrested by US border guards on Tuesday. I heard about it early Wednesday morning in London and called Cindy Cohn, the legal director of the Electronic Frontier Foundation. She worked her contacts to get in touch with civil rights lawyers in Michigan, and we mobilized with Caitlin Sweet (Peter's partner) and David Nickle (Peter's friend) and Peter was arraigned and bailed out later that day.

But now Peter faces a felony rap for "assaulting a federal officer" (Peter and the witness in the car say he didn't do a thing, and I believe them). Defending this charge will cost a fortune, and an inadequate defense could cost Peter his home, his livelihood and his liberty.

More >> (http://www.boingboing.net/2009/12/11/dr-peter-watts-canad.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter)

phill4paul
12-11-2009, 07:28 PM
:( At least he is back in his own country. Unfortunately to many here don't have that luxury.

GunnyFreedom
12-11-2009, 08:25 PM
They ignore those they are supposed to harass, and they harass those they are supposed to ignore. Can there be any question left about DHS incompetence? :(