PDA

View Full Version : Who is giving out my email address to random candidates??

devil21
12-11-2009, 06:26 PM
Today Ive gotten two emails from different candidates that Ive never even heard of nor signed up for mailings from. Danny Tarkanian of NV (I assume son of Jerry, the UNLV basketball coach?) and Bruce Poliquin of ME. Both talk about supporting RP so I assume its related but I never signed up to be on these guy's mailing lists. Anybody know who is just signing me up for mailing lists? I appreciate that it's "Liberty" candidates (I assume) but it's basically spam to me since I don't live in either state.

dannno
12-11-2009, 06:27 PM
Sorry, my bad :o

devil21
12-11-2009, 06:31 PM
Are you just kidding or what dannno?

Im serious though. I didn't authorize anyone to give away or sell my email address to any candidate that wants to claim he supports RP or Auditing the Fed. Not cool IMHO.

Cowlesy
12-11-2009, 06:36 PM
I also got the Bruce Polequin one. All I know is Josh would never sell the RPF list, but I am getting all sorts of weird emails lately, so if you've ever signed up or emailed someone in any of the satellite movements, people are collecting and selling lists.

Cowlesy
12-11-2009, 06:37 PM
I even got one to go listen to Pastor Manning --- I just hit delete on that without opening....I'd love to know how the *#@$ I got on that list.

dannno
12-11-2009, 06:41 PM
I also got the Bruce Polequin one. All I know is Josh would never sell the RPF list, but I am getting all sorts of weird emails lately, so if you've ever signed up or emailed someone in any of the satellite movements, people are collecting and selling lists.

YouTube - Lou Reed - Satellite of Love (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FH2EgYq_NCY)

dannno
12-11-2009, 06:47 PM
Are you just kidding or what dannno?

Ya I dunno who those candidates even are.

klamath
12-11-2009, 06:56 PM
It comes with the territory of participating and donating to campaigns. All it takes is one less than honest staffer, access to the campaign files and a thumb drive.
Information is far to easy to copy now a days.

Matt Collins
12-11-2009, 07:06 PM
If you submit yourself to a mailing list, any mailing list, know that it will more than likely be passed around elsewhere.

devil21
12-11-2009, 07:31 PM
I guess it goes to show that as the movement grows, we have to be extra vigilant about who is truly a Liberty candidate and who is just trying to claim they are to poach a few bucks from Liberty supporters. Im not claiming these two candidates are frauds, just that I've never heard of them yet they claim to be aligned with RP and now I'm getting emails from them soliciting cash.

Does C4L (or any other legitimate Liberty site/grou) keep a list of who has the bona fides as Liberty candidates?

ETA: Cowlesy, I too am getting "weird" spam email lately in addition to these campaign emails.

Flash
12-11-2009, 08:00 PM
Today Ive gotten two emails from different candidates that Ive never even heard of nor signed up for mailings from. Danny Tarkanian of NV (I assume son of Jerry, the UNLV basketball coach?) and Bruce Poliquin of ME. Both talk about supporting RP so I assume its related but I never signed up to be on these guy's mailing lists. Anybody know who is just signing me up for mailing lists? I appreciate that it's "Liberty" candidates (I assume) but it's basically spam to me since I don't live in either state.

Wait I'm confused. Danny Tarkanian said he supported Ron Paul? If this is true then its huge news.

BlackTerrel
12-12-2009, 01:14 AM
Be happy that's all you're getting. Everytime I have opened an email account within a couple years I start getting massive amounts of spam. Once one finds you they never quit, and the one thing I have learned is never ask to be taken off a list - that just guarantees you 10 times more spam.

It's one of the few things I hate about the Internet.

devil21
12-12-2009, 02:11 AM
Wait I'm confused. Danny Tarkanian said he supported Ron Paul? If this is true then its huge news.

Yeah I guess? Sorta. Maybe.

Here's the email:

It's time to audit the Federal Reserve.

Dear devil21,

Senator Jim DeMint and Congressman Ron Paul are right. It's time to audit the Federal Reserve. (See My Video)

Since my announcement speech I have opposed not only Federal Reserve policy, but our administration's policy of bailing out large corporations and rapidly growing the money supply to the point where we now expect runaway inflation to overtake any economic recovery.

It is astounding that we have spent nearly $1 trillion for TARP and authorized an additional $787 billion in so-called stimulus spending to virtually no effect. Our government's tax and spending habits are completely out of control and nowadays, even pork barrel politics passes for "thoughtful compromise." Some say massive government expansion is needed to stimulate the economy, but it is actually causing Nevadans grave long term economic harm.

A chief culprit in this fiscal morass is the Federal Reserve, seemingly an institution gone rogue. The Federal Reserve maintains control over the bailouts and this runaway monetary policy, but it does so without real oversight. Just last year the Federal Reserve announced, with the administration's approval, it was flooding our economy with a trillion freshly printed dollars. It won't even disclose the recipients of TARP money.

I truly fear this unchecked dollar printing and spending growth are exposing us to the specter of runaway inflation and unsustainable deficits. That's why I say it is time to audit the Federal Reserve. Whatever fears people may have about this process, it is absolutely necessary to restoring faith in our institutions - a cornerstone of Democracy.

As of October 2, 2009 Senator Reid is not a supporter of the Senate Bill to audit the Federal Reserve. Of course he isn't - he is the architect of these bailout bills and federal spending sprees. If I am elected U.S. Senator, Nevada will have a cosponsor of S. 604.

Sign up here and tell Harry Reid you are joining Danny Tarkanian, Congressman Ron Paul and Senator Jim DeMint in supporting S. 604 and its House counterpart HR1207.

Please do this right now. Your support is vital.

Sincerely,

Danny Tarkanian
Candidate, United States Senate

Then again, after rereading it he never said he supports RP. He said he supports auditing the Fed "since his announcement speech". Big difference. Looks like slick marketing to me and the fact remains that someone gave him my email address and he's trolling for Paul supporter money.

nayjevin
12-12-2009, 02:28 AM
I was on one email list, on an account where I got practically zero spam. The first email was quite interesting, several good liberty links, I ignored it. Several emails later, same sender was trying to get me to read L Ron Hubbard.

I asked to be removed, and yeah, I get tons of spam in that account now.

Easy to set up new email accounts though - and only use those to sign up for anything.

LibertyEagle
12-12-2009, 03:02 AM
Spam filters are wonderful things.

devil21
12-12-2009, 03:40 AM

Yeah but what am I supposed to do, filter Ron Paul?

LittleLightShining
12-12-2009, 03:55 AM
I got the Polequin one, too. On a different email address than I use for most of my mailing lists. I'm pretty sure it's because of We The People. They are the only ones I gave that email address to and now I get stuff from CoS, WTP, and random candidates.

No1ButPaul08
12-12-2009, 05:51 AM
When all else fails blame Steve Parent, although I'm sure there are others. I have an email address that I've only used once for anything liberty related. That was for the Schiff 2010 (the PEAC Pac draft website, not to be confused with the real Schiff campaign). This was then given or sold to the Schiffathon, run by Steve Parent and his Revolution Broadcasting/Retake Congress cronies. Although of course, they'll deny Steve had any involvement.

johnrocks
12-12-2009, 07:18 AM

This is what his site states about foreign policy.....

I appreciate the value of using America’s “soft power” to defend our interests around the world, but we cannot base our entire foreign policy around being loved abroad. There are people in the world who are at war with us and our way of life, and if we are going to defend our freedom we inevitably will have enemies. I also believe we must stay on the offense against those who have killed Americans here and abroad and hunger to do so again.

That doesn't sound like someone I would feel comfortable contributing to personally.

http://tark2010.org/issuescontent#foreignpolicy

BlackTerrel
12-12-2009, 06:54 PM

Far from perfect though. My spam filter misses about 5% of spam and let's it get to my inbox and about 5% of real emails end up in my spam folder. The end effect being that I have to go through my spam folder anyway - thus rendering it useless.

Danke
12-12-2009, 07:00 PM
All I know is Josh would never sell the RPF list...

Then why am I getting spammed by "High Times (http://hightimes.com/)?"

Flash
12-16-2009, 11:54 AM
bump. I finally got my email working and I'm also getting messages from these same exact candidates. Weird.

devil21
12-16-2009, 03:53 PM
I unsubbed from the "Maine Liberty" one that was pushing the Poliquin guy. We'll see what happens.

devil21
01-08-2010, 06:03 PM
I dont know about you all but Im getting more and more of these random candidate emails. Today's candidate is Patrick Hughes, running for Illinois Senator. I keep unsubbing but Im getting more and more! Im glad to see more candidates embracing Liberty platforms but now it makes me wonder how many of these people are just wolves in sheep's clothing.

Cowlesy
01-08-2010, 06:23 PM
I thought about this thread as I got more random solicitations yesterday.

LittleLightShining
01-08-2010, 07:14 PM
I just got an email for Patrick Hughes.

Jeremy
01-08-2010, 07:18 PM
I just got an email for Patrick Hughes.

Me too.

Cowlesy
01-08-2010, 07:23 PM
It's got to be the Ron Paul Presidential Campaign list of donors or something --- I got Patrick Hughes as well.

devil21
01-08-2010, 08:47 PM
Sounds like a website "vetting" these candidates need to be established. Anybody know of something already in existence that could be expanded to profile these "new" Liberty candidates?

I really wonder how many are just trying to skim a few bucks from Paul supporters. The campaign video on Hughes' email wasn't terrible but he spent the whole time bashing his opponent for being a liberal RINO instead of talking up his own Liberty platform. That makes me raise an eyebrow.

Cowlesy
01-08-2010, 08:55 PM
Sounds like a website "vetting" these candidates need to be established. Anybody know of something already in existence that could be expanded to profile these "new" Liberty candidates?

I really wonder how many are just trying to skim a few bucks from Paul supporters. The campaign video on Hughes' email wasn't terrible but he spent the whole time bashing his opponent for being a liberal RINO instead of talking up his own Liberty platform. That makes me raise an eyebrow.

I simply don't have enough money for the number of people running.

Cowlesy
01-13-2010, 11:49 AM
Got an email from Patrick Hughes today with a huge headline, "PATRICK HUGHES ENDORSED BY MARK LEVIN" ---- pfft, unsubscribe.