PDA

View Full Version : Do libertarians have less empathy?

Howard_Roark
12-09-2009, 11:12 AM
I took a test called the The Empathizing Quotient at http://eqsq.com/eq_test.php and scored a 7. This appears to mean I have very little empathy. Males score an average of 39 whereas females score an average of 48.

I also took The EIQ (Emotional Intelligence Quotient) Test (Full Version; queendom.com). This test took forever to do I scored in the bottom 8%.

I coulden't help but wonder if this is why I'm libertarian. It would explain why less women are libertarians because they in general have more empathy than men. Its very hard for me to understand liberals, perhaps they have higher empathy. I would be interested in seeing anyother libertarians scores on these tests.

TonySutton
12-09-2009, 11:28 AM
I have 4 children. Children will let you wait on them hand and foot if you let them. Just as some people will suck off the government teet if you let them. I am very empathetic but I am not sympathetic to people who will not pull their own weight. We all have struggles in our lives, how we deal with them defines us. It is ok to give someone a helping hand. You are doing them a disservice to support them forever.

akforme
12-09-2009, 11:30 AM
IMO that's more of a social test than an empathy test. Libertarians, myself included, are not as socially sophisticated as most that's for sure, but I would say we're more empathetic because of our core beliefs of freedom to the individual.

cpike
12-09-2009, 11:31 AM
I scored a 40. I can understand where people are coming from, but I'm not adjusting my views simply because of feelings.

LDA
12-09-2009, 11:37 AM
There's a big difference empathy and thinking that we should force one person to pay for the goods/services that another person consumes. That's where libertarians draw the line. It's not that I can't see someone in a tough situation and feel bad for them. I might even help them. I'm not going to mandate that the government step in and force the rest of society to help them, though.

Dunedain
12-09-2009, 11:58 AM
I'm a 31.

tremendoustie
12-09-2009, 11:59 AM
I have enough empathy with others to allow them to live their own lives, and not initiate violence or the threat of it on them.

AuH20
12-09-2009, 12:00 PM
I'm one of the most empathetic persons around, but the government should not be helping the less fortunate and less motivated. It's one huge con scheme as I see it, that relies on involuntary participation.

zach
12-09-2009, 12:44 PM
I'm very empathetic, but I also realize that people are largely in charge of how their lives turn out.

Bucjason
12-09-2009, 12:47 PM
Empathy is for pussies....

Todd
12-09-2009, 12:48 PM
Apparently I'm pretty insensitive. Scored a 23. I guess the fact that I don't like to see a puppy suffer didn't help me out much.

zach
12-09-2009, 12:50 PM
What's odd is, according to the test, I'm higher than both sexes on empathy, but lower than both on systemizing.

But I'm still considered "balanced." :confused:

Pauliana
12-09-2009, 12:57 PM
I think its a matter of less naivete, rather than less empathy.

Libertarians are not naive enough to believe that government, when empowered to take care of you, actually will.

BlackTerrel
12-09-2009, 01:27 PM
I have empathy for people that deserve it. I don't have empathy for people who are simply lazy, or blame their lack of success on others. I like people that get off their asses and do something.

Elwar
12-09-2009, 01:47 PM
We are all individuals. We have our own individual thoughts and ideas. In our interpersonal relationships we are most likely very varied.

The binding factor for libertarians is how we want to treat and be treated by the government.

Brian4Liberty
12-09-2009, 01:47 PM
I think its a matter of less naivete, rather than less empathy.

And also whether you are a big picture or little picture person. You can have great empathy for a person, and still understand that in the long run, welfare will hurt someone more than helping them stand on their own.

BenIsForRon
12-09-2009, 02:22 PM
I got a 32. I definitely don't realize when I offend people sometimes. Something I'm working on.

I guess the reason I'm not rated very empathetic is that I'm aware of my emotional reactions to a situation, and try not to let them cloud my judgment. I think that's healthy, as long as you don't destroy that emotional core.

Kludge
12-11-2009, 11:33 PM
Empathy is for pussies....

Well said, shit-face. I scored higher than I would have liked (that is, the score was above 0), so I'm not going to post it because I derive pleasure from keeping you worthless sacks of sackery in the dark while I continue refining my godlike beliefs (which are already well beyond the refining any human is capable of).

kaleidoscope eyes
12-11-2009, 11:44 PM
61 EQ here...
Glad Abe got higher than me tho! :p

Went back and took the Systemizing... got a 46.... overall? I am Balanced. That's nice to know :p

GunnyFreedom
12-12-2009, 12:21 AM
It put me at 48/91 -- higher than average Empathy, but EXTREMELY high systemizing. :shrug:

PreDeadMan
12-12-2009, 12:50 AM
I scored a 42

BuddyRey
12-12-2009, 07:50 AM
Even before I took the test and scored a 49, which would be considerably high for an Ancap, I didn't see a correlation there.

To be compassionate enough to not want to force your ideas on people, or make them fund your favorite causes at the point of a gun, is one of the highest and most consistent manifestations of empathy, IMHO.

Kludge
12-12-2009, 09:03 AM
To be compassionate enough to not want to force your ideas on people, or make them fund your favorite causes at the point of a gun, is one of the highest and most consistent manifestations of empathy, IMHO.

Or you may just be apathetic.

Working Poor
12-12-2009, 10:07 AM
I ask you does what ever power that is in control have any empathy? If so why is Monsanto being allowed to poison our food supply and make laws that make it illegal for me to obtain the foods and nutrients I feel I need to be healthy?

It is said that some one like me lacks empathy when all I want is to do is live my life they way I want to and I want that for you as well.