PDA

View Full Version : New Romney Fundraising Scheme, Is this Legal???

Razmear
10-03-2007, 05:31 PM
Republican and Democratic candidates running for president are busy courting college students this election season. They are looking for potential voters and volunteers.

Candidates for the presidency are reaching out to college students by sending emissaries to different campus contacting student leaders, and utilizing the Internet to find students who are interested in becoming part of their campaign.

Thinking outside the box, Gov. Mitt Romney of Massachusetts initiated a program called "Students for Mitt." Fundraising students will receive 10 percent of the money they raise beyond the first $1,000 for presidential candidate Romney's campaign.

Source:
http://media.www.gccvoice.com/media/storage/paper786/news/2007/10/03/News/Presidential.Candidates.Target.College.Students-3008962.shtml

devil21
10-03-2007, 05:33 PM
I dont know but that does seem to cross that official campaign/grassroots line.

FluffyUnbound
10-03-2007, 05:35 PM
Firms pay telemarketing contractors a commission on funds generated all the time.

This is the same thing.

ItsTime
10-03-2007, 05:36 PM
Firms pay telemarketing contractors a commission on funds generated all the time.

This is the same thing.

we are not talking about firms we are talking about a campaign

Ninja Homer
10-03-2007, 05:37 PM
If that is legal, we should do it.

Cindy
Many College students are hurting for money. These students will turn other students with money on to Romney just so they can make a buck. Romney is encouraging more Americans to act like political sell outs for cash.

Horrible idea where ethics are concerned. Wish I knew how to make a youtube video about it.

LibertyEagle
What is our campaign guy for students doing these days to campaign on campuses? Anyone know?

itsnobody
10-03-2007, 05:38 PM
YES it is legal...

LibertyEagle
10-03-2007, 05:39 PM

They probably get around it by hiring these people. In essence they become fundraising staff for the campaign. Just like Bydlack, or whatever his name is, on Paul's campaign.

It's actually a smart idea. We should be doing it.

ItsTime
10-03-2007, 05:41 PM
They probably get around it by hiring these people. In essence they become fundraising staff for the campaign. Just like Bydlack, or whatever his name is, on Paul's campaign.

It's actually a smart idea. We should be doing it.

If it is legal we should do it.

Electrostatic
10-03-2007, 05:42 PM
We could start an unofficial stigma at campuses.. Call them "Romney Bums" or something...

Chester Copperpot
10-03-2007, 05:45 PM
Republican and Democratic candidates running for president are busy courting college students this election season. They are looking for potential voters and volunteers.

Candidates for the presidency are reaching out to college students by sending emissaries to different campus contacting student leaders, and utilizing the Internet to find students who are interested in becoming part of their campaign.

Thinking outside the box, Gov. Mitt Romney of Massachusetts initiated a program called "Students for Mitt." Fundraising students will receive 10 percent of the money they raise beyond the first $1,000 for presidential candidate Romney's campaign.

Source:
http://media.www.gccvoice.com/media/storage/paper786/news/2007/10/03/News/Presidential.Candidates.Target.College.Students-3008962.shtml

IM in fundraising.. This is totally legal... For political stuff you can do absolutely anything you want... ANYTHING you want.. including even bargaining off your matching funds... theoretically they could pay someone 110% and use part of matching funds to pay it

Chester Copperpot
10-03-2007, 05:46 PM
Maybe you guys are unaware of mitt already kinda does this already... he pays people for recruiting supporters... I think the baseline for students is $500 per month.. and theyve got people they pay like $8,000 per month to do it too.. the more people you get to support mitt the more money you make... thats why they call him a welfare office on wheels

ButchHowdy
10-03-2007, 05:50 PM
Aren't most of these MLM marketing schemes devised by Mormons anyway?

TheIndependent
10-03-2007, 05:51 PM
Someone should be looking into the FEC guidelines on this.

Ninja Homer
10-03-2007, 05:51 PM
IM in fundraising.. This is totally legal... For political stuff you can do absolutely anything you want... ANYTHING you want.. including even bargaining off your matching funds... theoretically they could pay someone 110% and use part of matching funds to pay it

Well we should be doing this too then. We already have a lot of college kids supporting RP for free. Something like this would just motivate them to do more.

Taco John
10-03-2007, 05:52 PM
Wow... Mitt is getting desperate.

stevedasbach
10-03-2007, 05:54 PM

If that is legal, we should do it.

This is completely legal. It is, however, a pain to keep track of and might reduce voluntary efforts (i.e. everyone starts wanting to get paid). It's really only worthwhile for people who are really effective at finding new donors.

kylejack
10-03-2007, 06:00 PM
We don't need to pay people to fund-raise. If you raise $1000 for Ron Paul, we will let you DONATE another 10% to him out of your own pocket, sound like a deal? Then Ron will wipe out the IRS and you'll get it all back.

Chester Copperpot
10-03-2007, 06:02 PM
Well we should be doing this too then. We already have a lot of college kids supporting RP for free. Something like this would just motivate them to do more.

Ive already written to Carol Paul and told her I would put the services of my company at her disposal for a nominal fee. (telemarketing/fundraising) Ive never gotten any reply.. Word on the street from some others Ive talked to is Ron doesnt like to hire outside people..

Does it work? John Edwards has 2 companies fundraisiing for him all the time.. he brings in money.. yet look at this quarter.. he didnt bring in much more than Paul.

what to do

JPFromTally
10-03-2007, 06:16 PM
At best it's a commission. At worst it's a bribe.

Ninja Homer
10-03-2007, 06:32 PM
Does it work? John Edwards has 2 companies fundraisiing for him all the time.. he brings in money.. yet look at this quarter.. he didnt bring in much more than Paul.

Good point. To do something like this the right way for Ron Paul, it would take a pretty hefty database-driven application that keeps track of accounts, money received, money to pay back, etc. I'd guess it'd be about a month long project, with a cost in the tens of thousands. And then, you don't even know what kinds of problems you might run into with in-fighting or people chasing money rather than votes and new supporters.

expatriot
10-03-2007, 06:34 PM
This begs for some publicity:

Romney's Ponzi scheme for recruiting the naive.

Romney's pyramid scam to reward top recruiters.

It is famous in Thailand - is that where he wants to lead the U.S. political scene?
( Thailand is a nice place, though, otherwise, unless you are a poor native
trying to eke out an existence there)

This reeks!

Give Romney money so he gets elected to raise your taxes?
WHat a rotflmao joke on the uninformed this one is!

Better we distance ourselves from this proclaiming (rightfully)
that Ron Paul supporters ARE NOT BOUGHT BY PYRAMID SCAMS.

------------->> Honesty is its own advertising spin. <<------------

Cindy
10-03-2007, 06:36 PM
Do you all HONESTLY want kids, who do not have a clue about what RP stands for, trying to sell him to others while getting them to fork over.

One thing I love about being a part of this campaign is that Ron Paul supporters are sincere, and really do beleive in him and his message.

That has made an impression on others when they meet us as well.

What will happen if we suddenly have a bunch of paid for phoney supporters running around pretending to be for Paul just to get other peoples money, so they can make money.

trispear
10-03-2007, 06:43 PM
Ive already written to Carol Paul and told her I would put the services of my company at her disposal for a nominal fee. (telemarketing/fundraising) Ive never gotten any reply.. Word on the street from some others Ive talked to is Ron doesnt like to hire outside people..

what to doIt sounds like you need to get in touch with Jesse Benton or other person in the campaign directly responsible for fund raising along with some contacts who they'd trust.

Ninja Homer
10-03-2007, 06:56 PM
Romney's Ponzi scheme for recruiting the naive.

Romney's pyramid scam to reward top recruiters.

It is neither one of those... it's just a commission on a sale.

expatriot
10-03-2007, 07:16 PM
It is neither one of those... it's just a commission on a sale.

Beg to differ in spirit,

but when this news gets out into the grassroots media,
it will burn like a brushfire.

Although in principle it is merely a business arrangement,
it is, in the political arena, a lit powderkeg.

The concept of buying votes is not immune to bad press.

This will detonate under the Romney ship.
Let us be mere spectators to such a disaster, and not participants.
============================================
---------->> Honesty is its own best spin <<-----------------

Electrostatic
10-03-2007, 07:31 PM
Beg to differ in spirit,

QFT.

cjhowe
10-03-2007, 07:46 PM
Let me get this straight...

I can get someone to donate $2300 to Ron Paul.
Ron Paul can pay me a commission of $2300.
I can turn around and donate that $2300 to Ron Paul.
Ron Paul "raises" $4600 on the same $2300 donation
(or do this 23 times back and forth with $100)?

Ninja Homer
10-03-2007, 07:51 PM
Beg to differ in spirit,

I agree with the spirit part of it... it's an attempt to buy supporters, and most of the college kids who try to make money on it will never get above the $1000 with the time they put into it.

I was just saying it isn't a ponzi or pyramid scheme... it's commissions on a sale. The part that gives this a real bad feel for me is that they need to reach $1000 first... It's like a $1000 buy in.

erowe1
10-03-2007, 08:20 PM
I don't see the problem. Obviously, all the campaigns have paid staff, some of whom are responsible for getting people to donate money. Why shouldn't they be able to have fund raisers on their payroll who earn commissions based on doing a good job? This is probably the most capitalistic thing Romney has ever done. I'm embarrassed to say I like it.

But should we do it? No way! For every one person Romney can get to do that for money, we can get ten to do it for free.

Brian
10-03-2007, 08:27 PM
Stop worrying about it. It's a failed campaign by a group of hypocrite incestual driven egomaniacs.

Thurston Howell III
10-03-2007, 08:36 PM
That sounds stupid to me. Why would I give my donation to someone who is gonna take a rake off the top? I'd send mine in direct. Sure they pay staff, but not 10 percent of each donation. He's looking at it from every one's angle but the one actually paying the bill, typical government.

margomaps
10-03-2007, 08:46 PM
It's definitely legal.

But, keeping an amphibious rodent...for domestic purposes...within the city limits......that ain't legal. :D