PDA

View Full Version : Social Networking Tips

mport1
12-08-2009, 10:45 PM
I believe that social networking like Facebook, MySpace, Twitter, etc. is huge for the liberty movement and will only grow in importance.

For this reason I wanted to start a thread about tips and strategies people may have so that liberty activists can be effective as possible through this medium. Using social networking, we can help spread the message to new people, inform current liberty lovers of causes and events, and much more.

One problem I have encountered when trying to utilize Facebook is inviting "friends" to events, pages, or causes. I currently have 3,000+ friends and it was a huge pain if I wanted to invite them to something since I had to click each one individually. I found that putting the following in my url and pressing enter invites all of them at once:

javascript:elms=document.getElementById('friends') .getElementsByTagName('li');for(var fid in elms){if(typeof elms[fid] === 'object'){fs.click(elms[fid]);}}

I can now easily invite people to a money bomb, fanpage, or whatever. I think if a bunch of people grew their friend list with other liberty lovers and utilized this tip, we could easily disseminate information to a ton of people and thus be more effective.

Any other tips people have to share with the community so we can be as effective as possible in our activities? Broad strategies would also be good as well.

Nate K
12-09-2009, 05:35 PM
Here's my opinion on the important subject.. as an experienced facebooker..

Groups, fanpages n all that, i'm not a big fan. I think invites for them should be limited because there's a lot and people might get annoyed. I personally have 353 unread messages, and god knows how many other invites.

But this is what I do, that seems very effective: I search the news each day and look for.. well interesting stuff, nothing out of the ordinary, I do it all anyway. But I post relevant things that I can make an example of, put my commentary on. People tell me they read my stuff a lot and like it, many others comment and add discussion, no one has told me to stop.

But a few points: I'm never excessive with it, like nothing more than once a day and even then I'll take a rest and post unrelated stuff, it's all about reputation. I also know what my audience is, while i do have some liberty guys, they're about 10% of my friends list, most of them are people I know, the guys we are supposed to be targeting.

I know most of them are conservative, independent, anti-obama. So I post stuff that would intrigue them, but I'm not fake at the same time. I put a soft spin on everything, add a question that leaves people thinking, that's what it's all about.

Nate K
12-09-2009, 05:37 PM
I also like when some of our own guys post something in a note and tag other liberty friends in it, for either discussion or debate. I personally love debate and think that's an effective tool , but maybe that's just me.

mport1
12-09-2009, 07:29 PM
But a few points: I'm never excessive with it, like nothing more than once a day and even then I'll take a rest and post unrelated stuff, it's all about reputation. I also know what my audience is, while i do have some liberty guys, they're about 10% of my friends list, most of them are people I know, the guys we are supposed to be targeting.

Thanks for your input and great points. I think keeping shared posts to a minimum is key. People can get really annoyed if you are posting like 10 things a day and will stop paying attention.

To your second point, I created a profile exclusive for liberty stuff since Facebook is a pain with its automatic bans and because I don't want to bother friends, family, and coworkers (especially when the stuff I post can be pretty "radical"). I think it is great since everyone is pretty much my target audience and I can share important events and information that hopefully people will care about.

Nate K
12-09-2009, 09:17 PM
yo