PDA

View Full Version : Comedy in NYC: Hipsters vs. Hasids

Cowlesy
12-08-2009, 08:06 AM
http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/brooklyn/bike_war_paint_g7EizkFEZktV3IlNUJosQM

The hipsters just will not let their bike lanes go.

Groups of bicycle-riding vigilantes have been repainting 14 blocks of Williamsburg roadways ever since the city sandblasted their bike lanes away last week at the request of the Hasidic community.

The Hasids, who have long had a huge enclave in the now-artist-haven neighborhood, had complained that the Bedford Avenue bike paths posed both a safety and religious hazard.

Scantily clad hipster cyclists attracted to the Brooklyn neighborhood made it difficult, the Hasids said, to obey religious laws forbidding them from staring at members of the opposite sex in various states of undress. These riders also were disobeying the traffic laws, they complained.

Two cycling advocates were apprehended by the Shomrim Patrol, a Hasidic neighborhood watch group, as they repainted a section of bike lane at 3:30 a.m. yesterday, but when cops arrived, no one was arrested and no summonses were issued, police said.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/brooklyn/bike_war_paint_g7EizkFEZktV3IlNUJosQM#ixzz0Z6dlB4Q 2

Dunedain
12-08-2009, 08:21 AM
This is the first time I've heard of a Jewish organization saying they want LESS diversity. Wow, I guess when it comes to their own neighborhoods they think unity is more of a strength.

Unity for them. Diversity for the rest of us.

Cowlesy
12-08-2009, 08:58 AM
This is the first time I've heard of a Jewish organization saying they want LESS diversity. Wow, I guess when it comes to their own neighborhoods they think unity is more of a strength.

Unity for them. Diversity for the rest of us.

pffft.

Admit it, you want one of those hats that guy has on in the picture.

constituent
12-08-2009, 09:16 AM
I guess the more important point here is

Groups of bicycle-riding vigilantes have been repainting 14 blocks of Williamsburg roadways ever since the city sandblasted their bike lanes away last week at the request of the Hasidic community.

that the city advocates the right not to be offended.

Scantily clad hipster cyclists attracted to the Brooklyn neighborhood made it difficult, the Hasids said, to obey religious laws forbidding them from staring at members of the opposite sex in various states of undress.

At least they can admit to the humanity of us lesser beings. Even if it's only in small, perverse ways...

constituent
12-08-2009, 09:17 AM
Admit it, you want one of those hats that guy has on in the picture.

That is pimp.

edit to add:

She's kinda cute. Maybe they should stop bitching and open a bike shop?

haaaylee
12-08-2009, 12:34 PM
This doesn't get rid of the bike riders. You just move them from the bike lanes to the car lanes, which is far more dangerous. And annoying to drivers. They (We) and are half-dressed selves (wtf is up with that? do they not have blinds in that neighborhood?) are still going to be taking that street to get where we want.

also, that girl is going to wrong way on a one-way street . . .

legion
12-08-2009, 12:51 PM
I liked the bike snobs description of this...
http://bikesnobnyc.blogspot.com/2008/10/no-getting-around-it-cycling-and.html

He called it the "Great Hipster Silk Route."

talkingpointes
12-08-2009, 04:14 PM
Better hipsters then hippies. Plus I can sympathize with the cyclist, I consider myself one. Although I have considerably less flair in my daily attire.

Dieseler
12-08-2009, 05:02 PM
This is some funny shit.
From the comments:

According to McGraw-Hill's Cynic's Dictionary:

JEWS: A race like any other, only more so.

james1906
12-08-2009, 07:34 PM
"Scantily clad hipster cyclists attracted to the Brooklyn neighborhood made it difficult, the Hasids said, to obey religious laws forbidding them from staring at members of the opposite sex in various states of undress. These riders also were disobeying the traffic laws, they complained. "

It's ok Mordechai, boobies are G-d's gift to you.

BenIsForRon
12-08-2009, 07:48 PM
It's ok Mordechai, boobies are G-d's gift to you.

Amen