PDA

View Full Version : Is this the reality we have come to?

Jeremy
12-08-2009, 01:53 AM
Out of anarchy comes the availability of a dictator.

Out of minarchy comes the slow growth of big government.

So is mankind doomed?

coyote_sprit
12-08-2009, 02:00 AM
You're fucked but I'm gonna go live off the land... in space.

ClayTrainor
12-08-2009, 02:38 AM
Dictators are never really dictators. They are front men for oligarchs.

Oligarchs can pop up from just about any philosophical background, usually a form of democracy in modern times. Hitler, for example, popped out of a democratic republic during times of depression, not out of an anarchy.

Anarchy can mean a lot of different things to a lot of people. I regard it as the lack of rulers, which can make your above statement true. This is why Capitalism is important to add. Anarcho-Capitalism, illustrates the importance of Individual Property Rights combined with the lack of rulers. I personally think this is the best defense against government power and the concept of a dictator / oligarch.

Indeed. Sometimes the growth isn't so slow, either.

So is mankind doomed?

Nope... IMO, The answer lies in the free-market and the importance of this movement is to carry out that message. Become a capitalist and learn how to produce, earn, and achieve individual freedom in your own life, and try to spread wealth and knowledge to others through voluntary exchange. Don't go into debt, start saving up essentials instead of dollars, and learn everything there is to know about producing something of value, and convince those you care about to do the same.

That's just the way i'm trying to look at it. I think there's hope for us yet. :o

BenIsForRon
12-08-2009, 02:45 AM
Knowledge is power. If we can create a high quality, equitable education system for most of humanity (either a private system or a district run system), then we will start to break the cycle.

ClayTrainor
12-08-2009, 02:45 AM
Knowledge is power. If we can create a high quality, equitable education system for most of humanity (either a private system or a district run system), then we will start to break the cycle.

Yes, i agree. It all starts and ends with education... and the internet is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo important in this endeavor. :)

squarepusher
12-08-2009, 03:09 AM
Yes, i agree. It all starts and ends with education... and the internet is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo important in this endeavor. :)

you guys starting to sound like a bunch of liberals

Kludge
12-08-2009, 03:21 AM
Wtf is doomed? You think this is Hell?

Government grows. Government shrinks. Either we slowly reverse its oppression of our civil liberties through political pressure or we reset the government through war. There is no epic battle between good and evil. We're simply unsatisfied with our government. This movement is unnecessary (the American Revolution was wholly unnecessary), though probably beneficial for us, assuming liberty would be beneficial for us.

I'm amazed so many people cite this as a rallying cry -- it strikes me as the words of an incredibly miserable person: "Why stand we here idle? What is it that gentlemen wish? What would they have? Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!"

Buck up.

ClayTrainor
12-08-2009, 03:25 AM
you guys starting to sound like a bunch of liberals

What do you mean by "you guys", and how do "we" sound like liberals? For expressing the importance of education?

Unless of course you mean "claissical liberals", which is a compliment :)

Buck up.

QFT :)

FrankRep
12-08-2009, 06:44 AM

So is mankind doomed?

It's just a cycle. Enjoy the ride.

kaleidoscope eyes
12-08-2009, 07:10 AM
Wtf is doomed? You think this is Hell?

Government grows. Government shrinks. Either we slowly reverse its oppression of our civil liberties through political pressure or we reset the government through war. There is no epic battle between good and evil. We're simply unsatisfied with our government. This movement is unnecessary (the American Revolution was wholly unnecessary), though probably beneficial for us, assuming liberty would be beneficial for us.

I'm amazed so many people cite this as a rallying cry -- it strikes me as the words of an incredibly miserable person: "Why stand we here idle? What is it that gentlemen wish? What would they have? Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!"

Buck up.

Wow Kludge... that's like... thoughtful n stuff... :D
What's wrong with you? :p