PDA

View Full Version : Ayn Rand

Umbro2914
12-07-2009, 07:32 PM
maybe a little off topic for this section but looking for a quick answer lol --
Just wanted to know which work of Ayn Rand do you all most recommend as a good, enlightening read?
Thanks

TheState
12-07-2009, 07:34 PM
If you want something quick and entertaining - Anthem
If you want the whole package - Atlas Shrugged

Umbro2914
12-07-2009, 08:51 PM
thanks

Imperial
12-07-2009, 09:46 PM
I find Atlas Shrugged to be way to incohesive and extremely repititive. The Fountainhead I think is much better if you want a magnus opus level work out of Rand.

Thrashertm
12-07-2009, 09:47 PM
I liked Atlas Shrugged far more than Foutainhead.

FrankRep
12-07-2009, 10:04 PM
I liked Atlas Shrugged far more than Fountainhead.

I'm not a fan of the Fountainhead book. (Movie was better)

Atlas Shrugged is much better, but starts off kinda slow.

Liberty Star
12-07-2009, 10:24 PM
"Death of an Apartheid in Holyland" has to be her best work.

sirachman
12-08-2009, 01:12 AM
Depends on what you are looking for specifically from Rand. 'The Virtue of Selfishness' is sitting on my desk right now and is a very good one.

ClayTrainor
12-08-2009, 01:16 AM
I recommend watching The Fountainhead on youtube, if you have the time :)

Here's part 1

YouTube - TH1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxSSMl8pAE4)

Kludge
12-08-2009, 03:03 AM
I read quite a few books by/about Rand, leading up to a long research paper on her. It was a lot of wasted time. We The Living was, by far, my favorite to read (#2 was Anthem), but if you want her ideas shoved down your throat, Atlas Shrugged is the way to go. There's so much dialogue and explanation in her two longest novels. It's really quite frustrating to read after a while. If you want her ideas without the story, I suggest reading The Virtue of Selfishness (consider supplementing with the Ayn Rand Lexicon, which is now online for free here (http://aynrandlexicon.com/)). It's a fairly quick read and covers the most important points of Objectivism. If you'd like to know more about the influence of Rand & Objectivism's relationship with libertarianism and their influence, check out Radicals for Capitalism by Brian Doherty, which covers the entire libertarian movement and the factions within very well.