PDA

View Full Version : Fourth senator joins move to block Bernanke

bobbyw24
12-07-2009, 06:13 AM
Bernanke a 'key architect of the Bush economy,' Sanders says

Bunning to Bernanke: You are 'the definition of moral hazard'

Update: A fourth senator has joined three other senators in placing a hold on the Fed Chairman's nomination. Louisiana Republican David Vitter will also move to keep the chairman's nomination from coming to the floor.

“Over the past year or so, the Fed has doled out several trillion dollars to any number of troubled institutions through a series of programs that were supposed to turn our economy around,” Vitter said in a statement. “These programs have worsened our economic crisis by making ‘too big to fail’ a permanent government policy and created further debt that will now be the burden of our children and grandchildren. His endorsement of these unsound fiscal policies gives me great pause.”

A bipartisan effort to block the confirmation of Ben Bernanke to a second term as chairman of the Federal Reserve means the White House will face tougher obstacles reappointing the man it says is the right person to lead the country's central bank.

Story continues below...

http://rawstory.com/2009/12/bernanke-trouble-confirmation/

rp08orbust
12-07-2009, 06:29 AM
Replacing Ben Bernanke, just like replacing GWB with Obama, would be the ideal move for preserving the status quo by giving the public a false sense that things have changed and lulling them back to sleep.

I say, let Bernanke remain the face of the Federal Reserve until it's been audited, abolished, and replaced with nothing.

ChickenHawk
12-07-2009, 09:42 AM
I hope Bernanke is confirmed. If he is replaced, when things go south, it gives the opportunity to blame those who blocked Bernanke. If he stays we can say I told you so. It's not like a new Fed chairman is going to avert the crisis. I just can't see Obama appointing Peter Schiff for the position.

Elwar
12-07-2009, 10:04 AM
Replace Bernanke with Ron Paul.

Revolution_Ready
12-07-2009, 10:10 AM
Replace Bernanke with Ron Paul.

Reminds me of the Jim Rogers question, what would you do if you were fed chairman??

Abolish the fed, then resign!

TCE
12-07-2009, 11:26 AM
I hope Bernanke is confirmed. If he is replaced, when things go south, it gives the opportunity to blame those who blocked Bernanke. If he stays we can say I told you so. It's not like a new Fed chairman is going to avert the crisis. I just can't see Obama appointing Peter Schiff for the position.

What is going on now is good. There are enough Democrats/Republicans who like Bernanke enough to break a filibuster and to confirm him. With all of these Senators coming out of the woodwork to oppose him, people will begin paying more attention to the Federal Reserve. If people keep paying attention, it can only get worse for the Fed.

purplechoe
12-07-2009, 06:41 PM
Vitter? That guy drives me crazy. One day I want to hug him the next I want to punch him in the face...