PDA

View Full Version : Paper slams me for not apologizing for refusing hand shake from Rep Wamp!

Matt Collins
12-07-2009, 02:12 AM
I refused the hand shake of Rep Zach Wamp who voted for the bailout. The Nashville Republican Party kicked me out of being the Vice Chairman position. This newspaper editorial thinks I deserved to get kicked out for refusing to apologize over the issue:

http://nashvillecitypaper.com/content/city-voices/post-politics-gop-official-deserved-his-ouster

Theocrat
12-07-2009, 02:46 AM
I refused the hand shake of Rep Zach Wamp who voted for the bailout. The Nashville Republican Party kicked me out of being the Vice Chairman position. This newspaper editorial thinks I deserved to get kicked out for refusing to apologize over the issue:

http://nashvillecitypaper.com/content/city-voices/post-politics-gop-official-deserved-his-ouster

You deserve it, Matt. Don't try to seek sympathy from people when you act like an ass under Ron Paul's banner, especially without remorse.

LibertyEagle
12-07-2009, 03:12 AM
Matt, it seems to me that possibly there is some constructive information in that article. No?

kathy88
12-07-2009, 05:44 AM
Yet another post by Matt about Matt. Getting very old.

angelatc
12-07-2009, 05:59 AM
Matt we're your friends and even we think you were wrong.

nobody's_hero
12-07-2009, 06:26 AM
I wish I had an opportunity to not shake my senator's hand.

Fortunately or unfortunately, both Chambliss and Isakson avoid their constituents at all costs.

Matt, I think it's time to leave the party of ass kissers and long knives. Just make sure you bring a hell of a lot of people with you.

cswake
12-07-2009, 08:06 AM
Matt, it seems to me that possibly there is some constructive information in that article. No?

I think the author did a good job of elaborating on the issues of Matt's removal as well highlighting the courage that Matt had to make a real impact on the party.

Matt Collins
12-07-2009, 10:29 AM
You deserve it, Matt. Don't try to seek sympathy from people when you act like an ass under Ron Paul's banner, especially without remorse.How Christian of you :rolleyes:

And I am not under Ron Paul's banner. This is not about Ron Paul, this is not about me. This is about the future of the country which will be determined by the direction that the Republican Party takes within the next few months. If you cannot understand that then you are blind.

jth_ttu
12-07-2009, 10:49 AM
How Christian of you :rolleyes:

And I am not under Ron Paul's banner. This is not about Ron Paul, this is not about me. This is about the future of the country which will be determined by the direction that the Republican Party takes within the next few months. If you cannot understand that then you are blind.

I hope that the direction of the republican party isn't the only hope for our country. If you're seeking to change the Republican Party from the inside I respect that, but the Republicans are just as bad as the Democrats. Both parties are enemies of Liberty. They kicked you out becuase you were trying to change them, and the mainstream republicans have constantly made remarks about how they aren't going to be the Ron Paul party.

kahless
12-07-2009, 11:25 AM
Anyone have the text of the article? That site has been down all morning.

dannno
12-07-2009, 11:37 AM
Anyone have the text of the article? That site has been down all morning.

+1

TCE
12-07-2009, 11:42 AM

If you were purely representing yourself, then you can do whatever you would like. However, in most of the articles I've read about you, they call you a Ron Paul supporter or something to link you to Dr. Paul. So, like it or not, you represent Ron Paul. Since that is the case, you must be much more conservative in your actions. Not shaking Zig Zag's hand may have been a good statement, but it was disrespectful nonetheless.

paulpwns
12-07-2009, 11:52 AM
Hey a Matt thread by Matt.

What's new?

I can't believe you actually put faith in the GOP, then act surprised when they do stuff like this. It's getting old real fast, and we are your sympathizers .

LibertyEagle
12-07-2009, 12:04 PM
Matt,

I applaud you so much for getting out there and trying your best. Try your best again to look at the article objectively and take what might be constructive and use it to be more effective in the future, and discard the rest.

The important thing is not to give up.

:)

CasualApathy
12-07-2009, 12:46 PM
Yea, I agree with LE, you should never give up.

Maybe you can learn from this which battles to pick, because we already know that your heart is in the right place. My only advice is that sometimes you can come off as pretty full of yourself and that might turn some people off. Maybe you could tone that down a little to your own benifit. Otherwise, ROCK ON !

fletcher
12-07-2009, 02:53 PM

How is you posting an article about you not about you? :confused:

Matt Collins
12-07-2009, 03:49 PM
He offers interesting insights, but I disagree with him, you can read my response in the comments section of the original link.

Remember this is the guy who is called for me to shake their hand while backstabbing them with the other:
http://www.campaignforliberty.com/blog.php?view=22231

Stary Hickory
12-07-2009, 04:01 PM
You need to be more level headed, you can't choose to be unreasonable like that. Yes he voted for the bailout, and is definitely in the wrong, but not shaking the man's hand is a huge insult. You should have just done it and postioned yourself to educate more people.

What they saw was a Ron Paul type being an ass.....you never got a chance to promote the message at all. That was a huge loss. Shaking the man's hand in no way would have meant you support bailouts or approve of his voting record, it's just being polite.

kahless
12-07-2009, 04:18 PM
I finally got access to the article and have to agree not shaking his hand was bad form. To get ahead in a political arena sometimes have to be friendly and shake hands with people you disagree with. Let them be shocked that you were not on their side after your success.

If you had played the game you may have been able to stay in that position and evangelize. Although I agree with the points you made in the CFL link http://www.campaignforliberty.com/blog.php?view=22231 you are naive to think you will succeed without sometimes having to playing the game especially when trying to get your foot in the door.

speciallyblend
12-07-2009, 06:06 PM
I finally got access to the article and have to agree not shaking his hand was bad form. To get ahead in a political arena sometimes have to be friendly and shake hands with people you disagree with. Let them be shocked that you were not on their side after your success.

If you had played the game you may have been able to stay in that position and evangelize. Although I agree with the points you made in the CFL link http://www.campaignforliberty.com/blog.php?view=22231 you are naive to think you will succeed without sometimes having to playing the game especially when trying to get your foot in the door.

well i try to remind myself. we are trying to wrestle control from an old guard party that doesn't realize if they do not listen to ron pauls platform. they will lose control and if they don't allow us to reclaim the gop. they lose control. the gop leaderships job is to keep republicans inline and towing the partty line aka keeping the same folks in power. we have along way to go to remove these gop leaders or change them either way the gop is losing ground politically for not following our advice or their own platform. in the end the gop will either embrace us or die without us. that is my hope. the gop and many republicans are living in a closed box and it is the gop leaders job to keep the box shut. we either get in the box or crush the box

Theocrat
12-07-2009, 06:08 PM

If you're not even willing to show respect to the opposing side ("heaping coals upon their head with kindness" - Romans 12:20), then you will do nothing to advance the future of this country into the direction it needs to go. Disrespecting a congressman just because you don't like his position on the bailouts is not a good strategy of winning others over to your side. You may not even like the person, but you should still respect his office. A simple handshake can go a long way, as you now can see. Learn from Congressman Paul's example:

http://www.thebereanchronicles.com/nwo/nwo_hand_signs/image_hand_sign_ron_paul_03.jpg

If he were to behave like you, there is no way he would be admired by many of the Left, even to this day. At least they're willing to listen to his message. You, on the other hand, have blown it for making a difference in your county GOP. Learn some respect, man.

speciallyblend
12-07-2009, 06:40 PM
funny how everyone is a monday morning quarterback. everyone seems to have an opinion,but nothing matt has done rises to the level of corruption and lies and unethical treatment by the gop leaders toward ron paul supporters or their own corruption in the gop!! . where is everyones complaints on that, this was all before matt. the reality is unless you were elected in the gop leadership. you truly have no idea of the corruption within the gop. everyone here trying to hold matt to some standard they have in their heads should apply their same judgements to the failed gop leadership. everyone needs to back off matt and realize the problem is not matt but the gop leadership..

everyone has an opinion and judgement,but the fact is matt is not the reason the gop party is dying. corruption and lack of vision and issues is why the gop is dying. they cannot back their own issues since the gop stands for big government and using their party to infringe on others liberties.

i suggest everyone bashing matt should either get elected in the gop leadership or hold the gop leadership accountable for their unethical and corrupt leaders.

kahless
12-07-2009, 07:29 PM
corruption and lies and unethical treatment by the gop leaders toward ron paul supporters or their own corruption in the gop!! .......the problem is not matt but the gop leadership..

corruption and lack of vision and issues is why the gop is dying. they cannot back their own issues since the gop stands for big government and using their party to infringe on others liberties.

get elected in the gop leadership or hold the gop leadership accountable for their unethical and corrupt leaders.

I do not think anyone would disagree with excerpts from your quote above. I also do not believe anyone here thinks Matt got what he deserved and believe the criticism to be constructive. If he had followed Ron Pauls example of handling adversaries the outcome may have been different.

dannno
12-07-2009, 07:39 PM
Why can't Matt just be Matt?

Ron Paul is a great example, and we need more like him, but we need more people with his principles who are different as well.

speciallyblend
12-07-2009, 07:40 PM
I do not think anyone would disagree with excerpts from your quote above. I also do not believe anyone here thinks Matt got what he deserved and believe the criticism to be constructive. If he had followed Ron Pauls example of handling adversaries the outcome may have been different.

i agree with you. we all make mistakes for sure. i just wish more would hold the gop accountable. i am sure there are better ways to reform the gop ,my way is illegal;) so i will keep it at that;)

i cannot speak for the gop anymore, as a republican i can only tuck them into the bed they make;) so far the gop only deserves the floor with no sheets or pillows.

politically in my town and county. we just approach republicans if we want votes now not the county gop.

the gop has big gaps to fill. when our local gop is against legalizing marijuana while a majority of republicans are for it as well as voters. then i say the gop has a 70% majority gap to fill. the sad part is even the gop is not listening to republicans or voters. I expect the 70% of voters to remind elected officials in 2010/2012 in my county;) Vote'em Out

gocubsgo
12-07-2009, 09:48 PM

Reminds me of George Hemminger. Anyone else?

Athan
12-07-2009, 10:01 PM

Heh, well don't click the thread, silly. :p

TCE
12-07-2009, 10:16 PM
For all the good that Matt may have done while in the Vice Chairman was completely negated by him getting removed. We have been set back a long ways because of all this negative PR. Now that is yet another bit of ammo that the Establishment has against us. "You're all like that Matt Collins, disrespectful and childish."

Matt, while you may not think you represent Ron Paul, you do. In almost all of the articles I've seen, they have thrown you in with Dr. Paul. So, by default, you represent Ron Paul. As such, you should be held to a higher standard.

Finally, why did you not take the deal?

FrankRep
12-07-2009, 10:22 PM
Benjamin Franklin would have shook his hand.

:D

emazur
12-07-2009, 10:52 PM
If you're not even willing to show respect to the opposing side ("heaping coals upon their head with kindness" - Romans 12:20), then you will do nothing to advance the future of this country into the direction it needs to go.

Says the guy wants the death penalty for homosexuals...
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showpost.php?p=1945960&postcount=6

Because God sees homosexuality as a capital offense (Leviticus 20:13), I would say it should be punished via the death penalty.

There's gotta be a bumber sticker for that - maybe "It's not that I don't respect you, I just want you to be executed"

jth_ttu
12-07-2009, 11:08 PM
funny how everyone is a monday morning quarterback. everyone seems to have an opinion,but nothing matt has done rises to the level of corruption and lies and unethical treatment by the gop leaders toward ron paul supporters or their own corruption in the gop!! . where is everyones complaints on that, this was all before matt. the reality is unless you were elected in the gop leadership. you truly have no idea of the corruption within the gop. everyone here trying to hold matt to some standard they have in their heads should apply their same judgements to the failed gop leadership. everyone needs to back off matt and realize the problem is not matt but the gop leadership..

everyone has an opinion and judgement,but the fact is matt is not the reason the gop party is dying. corruption and lack of vision and issues is why the gop is dying. they cannot back their own issues since the gop stands for big government and using their party to infringe on others liberties.

i suggest everyone bashing matt should either get elected in the gop leadership or hold the gop leadership accountable for their unethical and corrupt leaders.

+1 If this had been someone other than a Ron Paul supporter they would still be with the party. The corrupt GOP officials were just looking for a excuse to get rid of Matt.

TheConstitutionLives
12-07-2009, 11:23 PM
This Matt guy is starting to get on my nerves bigtime.

TheConstitutionLives
12-07-2009, 11:29 PM
He offers interesting insights, but I disagree with him, you can read my response in the comments section of the original link.

- What kind of person is so defensive that they respond to an article about them in the comments section?? I think that's the first time I've ever heard of that. Not very professional at all. You're causing more harm than good and you're dragging us all through the mud with you.

I happen to think it's quite funny (and sad) that you continue, day after day, to run back here to this forum tattling. There must indeed be something to all these "Matt is childish" claims we keep reading about.

Matt Collins
12-08-2009, 12:30 AM
Paper posts my response:
http://politics.nashvillepost.com/2009/12/07/au-contraire-mon-columnist/ (http://politics.nashvillepost.com/2009/12/07/au-contraire-mon-columnist/)

TheConstitutionLives
12-08-2009, 12:40 AM
Dude, don't you realize that people are really starting to not like you as a person? I agree with the first comment:

"When you look up and you realize you’re in a hole, shouldn’t you stop digging?"

Only, I don't think you get it. You've completely shot yourself in the foot and killed any credibility going forward. Good job.

vodalian
12-08-2009, 04:05 AM

There's gotta be a bumber sticker for that - maybe "It's not that I don't respect you, I just want you to be executed"

:eek:

gilliganscorner
12-08-2009, 05:42 AM

Double :eek:

nobody's_hero
12-08-2009, 06:13 AM
Don't forget that Matt was not removed by a majority vote from the same people people who voted him in. He was removed by an oligarchy of a select few, in secret, who have yet to have the courage to reveal their names. If the support to remove Matt was unanimous, they would have nothing to fear. However, the secrecy of the hearing as well as the refusal to present the results of the vote leads me to believe that they wish to keep their seats and not anger the majority (us).

Everyone who thinks that Matt somehow ruined it for the rest of us needs to count the blessings. For every country-club republican who was pretending to be outraged by Matt's actions, there are probably two or three real republicans whose attitude was, "It's about fricken' time."

r3volution.

bobbyw24
12-08-2009, 06:30 AM
Wait--kicked out as Vice Chair or out of the GOP?

RonPaulFanInGA
12-08-2009, 07:24 AM
http://politics.nashvillepost.com/2009/12/07/au-contraire-mon-columnist/

Matt Collins
12-08-2009, 11:03 AM
Then why are you bothering to opeen the thread and read it? :confused::rolleyes:

Matt Collins
12-08-2009, 11:09 AM
In reference to here:
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?p=2441226

Eric21ND
12-08-2009, 11:49 AM

And how prudent was that? Did it work out well for you? I thought Paul supporters were the intellectuals of the bunch :rolleyes:

Free Moral Agent
12-08-2009, 03:00 PM
Sorry, but I agree with the sentiment of the paper.

Matt Collins
12-08-2009, 04:56 PM
http://politics.nashvillepost.com/2009/12/04/kent-williams-and-matt-collins/

Matt Collins
12-08-2009, 04:58 PM
Rep Kent Williams was a Republican in TN who sided with Democrats during the recent legislative session and got himself elected to Speaker of the House with the help of the Democrats. Many Republicans see him as a traitor because he didn't vote with the Republicans to back the Party's choice for Speaker. The TNGOP has stripped him of being a Republican. Regardless, it's been almost a year and there is mumblings that the GOP will try to reinstate him. The link in my above posts explains how this may not happen now that I they have kicked me out.

phill4paul
12-08-2009, 04:59 PM
LAWL:D:D:D Thanks for the post.:p:)

Original_Intent
12-08-2009, 05:13 PM
ban :d

Actually, after having read the link it was a pretty good article, or blog post, or whatever.

dannno
12-08-2009, 05:15 PM
Wow, that's just ridiculous.

dannno
12-08-2009, 05:30 PM
awwwwwwwwww............. thread compaction...

tpreitzel
12-08-2009, 06:08 PM
I don't know you personally, Matt, but stick to your convictions. Although the article isn't all bad, it does peddle the idea that you were appropriately booted as Vice Chairman of the DC GOP. Personally, I disagree with the article's assessment even after reading your allegedly "sophomoric" e-mail about Nashville's Convention Center. True, you should probably have elaborated more since most readers in Music City think it's fine and dandy to use taxpayer money in such a manner. Again, stick to your principles and keep hammering away within the GOP.

Matt Collins
12-08-2009, 10:39 PM
Matt we're your friends and even we think you were wrong.
More people would disagree with you than agree:
http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/keepmattcollins/signatures.html

amy31416
12-08-2009, 10:44 PM
Then why are you bothering to opeen the thread and read it? :confused::rolleyes:

I can't speak for her, but the reason I read the threads is because it's very train-wreck-esque.

paulpwns
12-08-2009, 10:46 PM
Dude seriously you went into politics and didn't accept the fact that you had to shake hands?

Even RP shakes hands with the enemy. It's part of the game.

It's all in the approach. Kill them with a smile. ( not literally)

phill4paul
12-08-2009, 10:48 PM
Honestly, I don't see the fuss.

Breakdown: You refused to shake the hand of someone you didn't respect because of his voting record.

Is this it in a nut-shell?

If it is then fuck 'em and shame on everyone for excoriating Matt.

I'd have done the exact same thing and have done the exact same thing in mixed company to those that I disagree with.

phill4paul
12-08-2009, 10:50 PM
Dude seriously you went into politics and didn't accept the fact that you had to shake hands?

Translate: Dude, you went into politics and didn't realize that you had to compromise your principles to achieve your principles.:rolleyes:

nobody's_hero
12-09-2009, 05:36 AM
Personally I think that everyone who thinks matt should have shaken hands with Wamp should first take on Matt's ~$70,000 share of the national debt. Then you can shake hands to your heart's content, even vigorously criticize those who don't.

A line in the sand must be drawn somewhere.

Aratus
12-09-2009, 09:31 AM
i judge not matt collins on the immediate refusal, insted its the question as to who apologizes to who, and whether matt has to be contrite or might be contrite down the road, and thusly look more mature. he made a judgement call that he, himself can retro-actively mull over. any forthright desicion is then thusly his. did he loose his vice-chair because he was a tad rude or did he loose his vice-chair because karl rove is a brainy control freak? was there a spillover effect BECAUSE rand paul's videos & speeches are finding voters? i can pensively ponder this all grandly!

paulpwns
12-09-2009, 09:39 AM
A handshake isn't compromising your principles.

If it really is, then basically you are accusing RP of the same thing.

It's called politics. If you can't handle the game, don't play.

rockandrollsouls
12-09-2009, 09:43 AM
You deserve it, Matt. Don't try to seek sympathy from people when you act like an ass under Ron Paul's banner, especially without remorse.

Bingo.

Gives us all a bad name. You never stop whining, Collins.

Aratus
12-09-2009, 09:52 AM
folks, if he apologizes to mr. wamp shortly before he gets his derriere into the chair position
he was trying for in the first place, if he has a political learning curve slowly being noticed again
by the same said control freak who is known to us as karl rove and is known to know all the g.o.p
slush fund secrets etc... he just might cause the manipulative old dude to reach for more tums tablets...

rockandrollsouls
12-09-2009, 03:44 PM
folks, if he apologizes to mr. wamp shortly before he gets his derriere into the chair position
he was trying for in the first place, if he has a political learning curve slowly being noticed again
by the same said control freak who is known to us as karl rove and is known to know all the g.o.p
slush fund secrets etc... he just might cause the manipulative old dude to reach for more tums tablets...

What in the hell are you talking about? Fact of the matter is Matt acted like a fool under the Ron Paul banner and willingly gave up his seat. It doesn't matter if it's "fair" or not. The crooked establishment gave him a chance to save his seat but he self destructed. He chose personal pride over a valuable position where he could get something done.

That's how it was and that's how it is. It's always about Matt Collins, first and foremost. Your enemies don't have to fight you if you destroy yourself...

Matt Collins
12-09-2009, 06:42 PM
Matt, I think it's time to leave the party of ass kissers and long knives. Just make sure you bring a hell of a lot of people with you.I disagree. However our time horizon for that decision is within 12 months or less!

Matt Collins
12-10-2009, 11:35 AM
I hope that the direction of the republican party isn't the only hope for our country. If you're seeking to change the Republican Party from the inside I respect that, but the Republicans are just as bad as the Democrats. Both parties are enemies of Liberty. They kicked you out becuase you were trying to change them, and the mainstream republicans have constantly made remarks about how they aren't going to be the Ron Paul party.Exactly, but if we get there and out number them, then we win. Unfortunately in our case, we were a single vote short at our county convention... :mad:

klamath
12-10-2009, 12:16 PM
I don't comment normally in Matt threads but I think you need to look into yourself a bit Matt. Shaking a person's hand you adamently disagree with is not compromising your principles. I have many friends I adamently disagree with politically. Did you know this guy personally? Is he a royal A**hole personally? As RP states over and over, it is about Ideas not the people personally. You slammed the door in this guys face and accomplished absolutely nothing by it but backwards steps. If I didn't know how you have insulted in the past, members of RP's family and to my knowledge have never admitted or apologized the wrongness of your actions I might not question your actions now.
Matt I agree with very much of your beliefs and commend your drive to enact positive change within the GOP. We all make mistakes but they are only mistakes if you don't learn from them.
Matt learn something from this and move foward with a positive attitude armed with valuable lessons of life.

kathy88
12-10-2009, 05:02 PM

It's like rubbernecking...... I guess I secretly enjoy the carnage.

MikeStanart
12-10-2009, 09:30 PM
I don't comment normally in Matt threads but I think you need to look into yourself a bit in Matt. Shaking a person's hand you adamently disagree with is not compromising your principles. I have many friends I adamently disagree with politically. Did you know this guy personally? Is he a royal A**hole personally? As RP states over and over, it is about Ideas not the people personally. You slammed the door in this guys face and accomplished absolutely nothing by it but backwards steps. If I didn't know how you have insulted in the past, members of RP's family and to my knowledge have never admitted or apologized the wrongness of your actions I might not question your actions now.
Matt I agree with very much of your beliefs and commend your drive to enact positive change within the GOP. We all make mistakes but they are only mistakes if you don't learn from them.
Matt learn something from this and move foward with a positive attitude armed with valuable lessons of life.

/ Agree

We love ya and idealogically agree with you Matt, but I've gotta agree that you kinda shot yourself in the foot on this one.

speciallyblend
12-11-2009, 10:48 AM
What in the hell are you talking about? Fact of the matter is Matt acted like a fool under the Ron Paul banner and willingly gave up his seat. It doesn't matter if it's "fair" or not. The crooked establishment gave him a chance to save his seat but he self destructed. He chose personal pride over a valuable position where he could get something done.

That's how it was and that's how it is. It's always about Matt Collins, first and foremost. Your enemies don't have to fight you if you destroy yourself...

your so off base and judgemental, your judging from the outside. your attacks should be directed at the failed gop leadership. you would make a great monday morning quarterback.

speciallyblend
12-11-2009, 10:49 AM
/ Agree

We love ya and idealogically agree with you Matt, but I've gotta agree that you kinda shot yourself in the foot on this one.

personally the only leaders shooting themselves in the foot are the elected gop leadership minus matt. ooo well let the gop live or die by their own hands.

the gop is the problem,not matt. if you guys would take half the energy you guys use attacking matt for doing something(curious the folks bashing or suggesting to matt, are you in an elected position? if not shtfu and apply it to the failed gop leadership. personally you guys are barking up the wrong tree but keep barking i guess. if you think bashing matt is going to change the gop when you should be bashing the gop. then keep it up.. the problem is not matt it is the gop. end of story. you guys bashing matt are doing a GREAT JOB,NOW TURN IT TO THE CORRECT FOLKS THE FAILED GOP LEADERSHIP.

we still need to remove about 40%-60%(neo-cons or brainwashed republicans of the gop leadership or make sure they lose in local /state elections. support a neo-con you get a neo-con. the republican party is to blame. if we cannot remove them. then make sure they lose. do not reward failed gop leaders. hold them accountable vote them out of leadership roles or just vote them out of political office.

what we need to do is focus on voting out republicans ,even if the dems are running against us. the fact is we should only support republicans that are against the gop foreign policy and are against the big government republicans. big government republicans are pro drug war and anti-marijuana and anti-civil liberties, they need to be voted out,until then you only endorse a failed big government republican party and then you deserve those republicans. you get what you ask for neo-cons and brainwashed republicans for supporting failed gop leaders. you get what you get failure for voting for failure.

speciallyblend
12-11-2009, 11:09 AM
This Matt guy is starting to get on my nerves bigtime.

these anti matt folks are geting on my nerves.

MikeStanart
12-11-2009, 11:58 AM
personally the only leaders shooting themselves in the foot are the elected gop leadership minus matt. ooo well let the gop live or die by their own hands.

the gop is the problem,not matt. if you guys would take half the energy you guys use attacking matt for doing something(curious the folks bashing or suggesting to matt, are you in an elected position? if not shtfu and apply it to the failed gop leadership. personally you guys are barking up the wrong tree but keep barking i guess. if you think bashing matt is going to change the gop when you should be bashing the gop. then keep it up.. the problem is not matt it is the gop. end of story. you guys bashing matt are doing a GREAT JOB,NOW TURN IT TO THE CORRECT FOLKS THE FAILED GOP LEADERSHIP.

we still need to remove about 40%-60%(neo-cons or brainwashed republicans of the gop leadership or make sure they lose in local /state elections. support a neo-con you get a neo-con. the republican party is to blame. if we cannot remove them. then make sure they lose. do not reward failed gop leaders. hold them accountable vote them out of leadership roles or just vote them out of political office.

what we need to do is focus on voting out republicans ,even if the dems are running against us. the fact is we should only support republicans that are against the gop foreign policy and are against the big government republicans. big government republicans are pro drug war and anti-marijuana and anti-civil liberties, they need to be voted out,until then you only endorse a failed big government republican party and then you deserve those republicans. you get what you ask for neo-cons and brainwashed republicans for supporting failed gop leaders. you get what you get failure for voting for failure.

I'm neither bashing nor disrespecting Matt here. I'm trying to give constructive criticism so we can all learn from the situation. I want the Liberty movement to succeed as much as anyone, we just need to be diplomatic or our message will fall on deaf ears.

MelissaCato
12-11-2009, 06:54 PM
I think this is a learning experience. Matt must have a good, calm, mindset about him. Kudo's.

I, on the other hand will not allow someone to tell me or everyone around me @ the local Republican Club ... that America is a democracy, or Spector was an honest Republican or it's a Holiday Tree, or the 2nd is about duck hunting, or, or, or . I just will not allow that "type" to represent me or even buy me a drink, yet at the same time they are all 20-30 years older than me, and it's hard to discredit an elder view.
:cool:

Soooo, I'm glad, all in all, Matt did what he did for however long it lasted. FWIW.

Maybe one-day I can talk with these people and have a calm and collective mindset ... until then, I'm mad as hell.

phill4paul
12-11-2009, 06:56 PM
... until then, I'm mad as hell.

Keep the fires burning!

rockandrollsouls
12-12-2009, 02:10 PM
your so off base and judgemental, your judging from the outside. your attacks should be directed at the failed gop leadership. you would make a great monday morning quarterback.

No, it's a fair assessment. Get off your knees and tell Collins to pull up his pants; most of us here actually WANT to get something done without the lip service. Collins made a complete fool of himself and your always half way up his ass :rolleyes:

fatjohn
12-12-2009, 03:01 PM
Pfff what are we whining about? If this was a true revolution, we wouldn't just not shake their hands, we would punch them in the face.

Matt Collins
12-13-2009, 11:50 AM
Anyone have the text of the article? That site has been down all morning.The host's data center in downtown Nashville was down all day. It's back up and running now.

haaaylee
12-13-2009, 09:41 PM
Reminds me of George Hemminger. Anyone else?

Hemminger!! Oh, Where are you?

haaaylee
12-13-2009, 09:45 PM
Paper posts my response:
http://politics.nashvillepost.com/2009/12/07/au-contraire-mon-columnist/ (http://politics.nashvillepost.com/2009/12/07/au-contraire-mon-columnist/)

Even within a post about yourself you have managed to continue to post about yourself . . . wow.

haaaylee
12-13-2009, 09:51 PM
Translate: Dude, you went into politics and didn't realize that you had to compromise your principles to achieve your principles.:rolleyes:

How is shaking someone's hand compromising principles? Does his hand suck them out of you ?? Or are you jsut being polite because that person is, well, a person. And regardless of political views you should still be polite. But then again, i'm a Southern gal and maybe we do things differently . . .

tpreitzel
12-14-2009, 12:02 AM
How is shaking someone's hand compromising principles? Does his hand suck them out of you ?? .

Probably not, but I doubt Matt wants to carry a personal towel around with him when among political peers. ;) j/k For the record, I'm not sure whether I would have shaken Wamp the vamp's hand either. ;) I might have, but Matt made his decision and must press onward despite the setback.

nobody's_hero
12-14-2009, 03:51 AM
Pfff what are we whining about? If this was a true revolution, we wouldn't just not shake their hands, we would punch them in the face.

So tempestuous. Then again, by now, the founders would have already broken out the tar and feathers, or nooses and effigies.

Of course, if RPF had existed in those days, nearly everyone on the forum apparently would hate them for it, criticize them, and tell them that they'd never get anywhere.

Relatively speaking, if a man with the character of Wamp's deserves a handshake, then I'd have to suck Ron Paul's **** to truly show appreciation for everything that he's done for liberty. But I don't go there, so I'm saving my handshakes for Ron. Wamp will have to do without.

Matt Collins
12-14-2009, 01:39 PM
Not shaking Zig Zag's hand may have been a good statement, but it was disrespectful nonetheless.And you think his ignoring the US Constitution, voting for the bailouts, cosponsoring HR413 (look it up), and then campaigning as a DC outsider for the TN gubernatorial race as a fiscal conservative is "respectful" to the People? :confused::rolleyes:

What other better non-confrontational way to show one's disapproval for a Republican acting like a Democrat? Although I'd like to I don't think this is the best way to do things:

http://research.history.org/Historical_Research/Research_Themes/ThemeRevolution/Loyalist/tar_and_feather.jpg

haaaylee
12-14-2009, 01:46 PM
And you think his ignoring the US Constitution, voting for the bailouts, cosponsoring HR413 (look it up), and then campaigning as a DC outsider for the TN gubernatorial race as a fiscal conservative is "respectful" to the People? :confused::rolleyes:

It is just a handshake.

It is separate from any of his political decisions. Did not shaking his hand somehow let everyone know he isn't Constitutional, or a liar, or a hypocrite? No. It just made you look like an ass. You accomplished nothing good out of this move.

TCE
12-14-2009, 01:54 PM
And you think his ignoring the US Constitution, voting for the bailouts, cosponsoring HR413 (look it up), and then campaigning as a DC outsider for the TN gubernatorial race as a fiscal conservative is "respectful" to the People? :confused::rolleyes:

What other better non-confrontational way to show one's disapproval for a Republican acting like a Democrat?

He is a member of the Liberty Caucus. So, obviously Dr. Paul sees something there. Do I like his views? No. Do I appreciate his complete disregard for the Constitution? No. However, I don't have to agree with the views of everyone who I shake hands with.

We are going to receive and are receiving a ton of heat from your elitism. You raised your importance, but kicked the pedestal out from under all of us. Decorum is important, giving someone else some respect just because they are a human being is important. By refusing to shake his hand, all dialogue is cutoff. Since he is a member of the Liberty Caucus, he is obviously alright with hearing opposing viewpoints. I'm not sure how many opposing viewpoints he'll want to hear from the Ron Paul camp now.

While I do not dislike you personally, your actions deserved, at the very least, a slap on the wrist.

nobody's_hero
12-14-2009, 05:06 PM
It is just a handshake.

It is separate from any of his political decisions. Did not shaking his hand somehow let everyone know he isn't Constitutional, or a liar, or a hypocrite? No. It just made you look like an ass. You accomplished nothing good out of this move.

Take, in addition to your own, Matt's ~$80K share of the national debt, and shake Wamp's hand then. Hopefully, some vital table scraps will fall from his lap when he bends over to spit on you.

haaaylee
12-14-2009, 05:10 PM
Take, in addition to your own, Matt's ~$80K share of the national debt, and shake Wamp's hand then. Hopefully, some vital table scraps will fall from his lap when he bends over to spit on you.

And that is all this one man's making? I think you also missed the point of my comment, this is about common decency. And is also quite trivial.

nobody's_hero
12-14-2009, 05:13 PM
And that is all this one man's making? I think you also missed the point of my comment, this is about common decency. And is also quite trivial.

No, both Senators from Georgia are to blame as well, along with 99% of the folks in Washington, both present and past, and if they didn't avoid their constituents like the plague, I'd love to have a chance not to shake their hands also.

The only people who think that Matt was wrong for not shaking hands are the ones who don't want to offend the almighty Republican elite, in hopes that by being graced by their shadows, they may also get somewhere to a position of power. This is not about power, though, this is about spreading a message, and Matt's was loud and clear.

Again, let's review the facts. A majority of the people of the Davidson Co. GOP elected Matt to vice-chair, and an oligarchy of GOP henchmen held a secret hearing to remove him.

Do you detractors actually think that Matt's removal was popular among grassroots GOP members? Haha. If it were popular, then the vote would have been public so that the ones doing the kicking-out would have been hailed as heroes, but instead, they are afraid of retribution.

The r3volution is alive and well, but the establishment is digging in.

TCE
12-14-2009, 08:04 PM
No, both Senators from Georgia are to blame as well, along with 99% of the folks in Washington, both present and past, and if they didn't avoid their constituents like the plague, I'd love to have a chance not to shake their hands also.

The only people who think that Matt was wrong for not shaking hands are the ones who don't want to offend the almighty Republican elite, in hopes that by being graced by their shadows, they may also get somewhere to a position of power. This is not about power, though, this is about spreading a message, and Matt's was loud and clear.

Again, let's review the facts. A majority of the people of the Davidson Co. GOP elected Matt to vice-chair, and an oligarchy of GOP henchmen held a secret hearing to remove him.

Do you detractors actually think that Matt's removal was popular among grassroots GOP members? Haha. If it were popular, then the vote would have been public so that the ones doing the kicking-out would have been hailed as heroes, but instead, they are afraid of retribution.

The r3volution is alive and well, but the establishment is digging in.

That is incorrect. The same people who voted him in ended up kicking him out. Why would you give up a position of power in the GOP just to send a message that nobody has gotten? Do you think Zigzag cares? No, he got the last laugh.

The same comparison: I am the Vice President. The President comes to shake my hand and I publicly refuse. So, him and Congress oust me from my position. What did I gain? Absolutely nothing, in fact, anyone who believes in what I believe in will be punished in extension. You need to pick your battles. Matt Collins could have been effective as Vice Chair, now he is "that guy who refused to shake Rep. Wamp's hand." Great. I'm glad we're moving in the right direction.

rockandrollsouls
12-14-2009, 11:01 PM
That is incorrect. The same people who voted him in ended up kicking him out. Why would you give up a position of power in the GOP just to send a message that nobody has gotten? Do you think Zigzag cares? No, he got the last laugh.

The same comparison: I am the Vice President. The President comes to shake my hand and I publicly refuse. So, him and Congress oust me from my position. What did I gain? Absolutely nothing, in fact, anyone who believes in what I believe in will be punished in extension. You need to pick your battles. Matt Collins could have been effective as Vice Chair, now he is "that guy who refused to shake Rep. Wamp's hand." Great. I'm glad we're moving in the right direction.

Like I've said, it's always been about Matt Collins ego first, liberty second.

Matt, you need to swallow your pride. I know for a fact that you are not untouchable. Have you ever accepted money as payment from someone with opposing political views? Did you ever do sound work for a band that promoted liberal candidates like Obama? Do you pay tax to the federal government? Ever buy a product from a company engaged in unlawful activity? Are you using internet or TV service from a company that has virtual monopoly on service due to government intervention?

I'm willing to wager a healthy sum that you've engaged in one of those activities. And, according to your logic, you can't even be associated with anything like that. So why are you giving yourself a double standard, Collins? Is associating with people that are so morally corrupt okay so long as they pay you money for working for them, or give you service for supporting their monopoly? Yet, you won't shake some guys hand?

You just made a fool out of yourself and your standards are unjustified.

mstrmac1
12-15-2009, 12:15 AM
Matt,

I'm not going to say your a "douche bag", although I'm thinking it!

haaaylee
12-15-2009, 01:10 AM
Matt,

I'm not going to say your a "douche bag", although I'm thinking it!

you're*

MikeStanart
12-15-2009, 08:32 AM
you're*

and, can we ban people with huge egos or is that anti-liberty?

Thats not what this discussion is about. This discussion is about using tactfullness and being political savy so we don't lose positions of power. Choose your battles if you want to win the war.

This was a learning experience, I don't hold anything against Matt; he's a patriot who fought for his beliefs; but I think we've all learned that you've got to play politics a little.

Matt Collins
12-16-2009, 11:30 AM
I can't believe you actually put faith in the GOP, then act surprised when they do stuff like this.I didn't put any faith in the GOP, I set out to change it.

Matt Collins
12-18-2009, 12:18 PM
Matt,

I applaud you so much for getting out there and trying your best. Try your best again to look at the article objectively and take what might be constructive and use it to be more effective in the future, and discard the rest.

The important thing is not to give up.

:)Thanks, coming from you that means a lot! :)

Matt Collins
12-21-2009, 12:42 AM
Can't help it:

YouTube - Bad Religion - The Handshake (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHVNbZb_B74)

ramallamamama
12-21-2009, 12:47 AM
Matt, the guerrilla marketing is cool and all, can't ya spam 1000 other sites with your name or something?

Just sayin.

Matt Collins
12-21-2009, 12:55 AM
Matt, the guerrilla marketing is cool and all, can't ya spam 1000 other sites with your name or something?

Just sayin.
I am not guerrilla marketing, nor am I spamming anything. :rolleyes:

ramallamamama
12-21-2009, 01:09 AM
I think you're attention whore. Pedal it elsewhere.

Matt Collins
12-21-2009, 01:11 AM
Well you are wrong. But if you think so, then why don't you either just not view my threads, or simply put me on "ignore"? :confused:

ramallamamama
12-21-2009, 01:20 AM
OK, good idea. Thnx.

Matt Collins
12-21-2009, 10:12 AM
Yea, I agree with LE, you should never give up.

Maybe you can learn from this which battles to pick, because we already know that your heart is in the right place. My only advice is that sometimes you can come off as pretty full of yourself and that might turn some people off. Maybe you could tone that down a little to your own benifit. Otherwise, ROCK ON !
Yeah, unfortunately people confuse confidence for arrogance :(

angelatc
12-21-2009, 10:39 AM

No kidding. This stuff about Matt getting the boot because he is rude and doean't represent Ron Paul very well is over a month old, and yet there are 3 active theads on page 1 of "New Posts."

Does he honestly not realize how pathetic he looks at this point?

angelatc
12-21-2009, 10:40 AM
Yeah, unfortunately people confuse confidence for arrogance :(

Uh, you're actually one of those people.

rockandrollsouls
12-22-2009, 09:34 PM
Uh, you're actually one of those people.

Yup. Can we just ban Collins from the forums? Sick of his grandstanding and misuse of the freedom campaign for his own selfish gain.

rockandrollsouls
12-22-2009, 09:37 PM
Well you are wrong. But if you think so, then why don't you either just not view my threads, or simply put me on "ignore"? :confused:

Shut up already Collins. You spend the majority of your time trolling the internet and calling out your own name. No one cares.

You're not about liberty and you never have been. You're about "Matt Collins."

You're actions are not a "liberty" issue. Proper decorum is not, in any way, detrimental to the goals of this movement. It does, however, bruise your ego, and you need to get over it.

Please, stop confusing your pride and personal issues with freedom and liberty.

zach
12-22-2009, 09:53 PM
Lock??

Danke
12-22-2009, 10:03 PM
Lock??

What!?

Then how could we kept these important threads in the forefront?

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=220568&highlight=

zach
12-22-2009, 10:08 PM
http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/54/Jesus_facepalm.jpg

Kludge
12-22-2009, 10:39 PM
inb4lock

Kotin
12-22-2009, 10:43 PM
so confused as to why I keep seeing this thread on the front page..

Matt Collins
12-22-2009, 10:53 PM
Yup. Can we just ban Collins from the forums? Sick of his grandstanding and misuse of the freedom campaign for his own selfish gain.
why don't you either just not view my threads, or simply put me on "ignore"? :confused:

Original_Intent
12-22-2009, 11:38 PM
Matt,

I like you.

But....

in the thread about Badnarik having a freaking heart attack and being unconscious, somehow you managed to steer the conversation to how you know Badnarik and then (extremely tacky, tasteless and sorry to say NOT confidence but pompous and arrogant self importance) You plaster a nice 8x10 of you in the handshake with Badnarik. It was only out of respect for Badnarik and not wanting to completely derail the thread that I did not comment on it there. Then I see this thread still getting shamelessly bumped by you and as a friend I seriously feel that you have a serious ego problem. Not healthy self confidence, like you seem to delude yourself, actually you seem like a name dropper and it comes across as terrible LACK of self confidence as it appears you are always saying who you had drinks with, who you know, and pictures of you with anyone of name recognition (or with some cute girls I remember one time) again it seems like you are seeking validation by showing off who you can manage to get a photo op with.

Don;t get me wrong - I think your heart is in the right place, I think you have been an awesome and effective soldier fighting for Liberty. But this grandstanding/self-promotion/egotism is really an Achilles heel, and you are REALLY your own worst enemy sometimes.

Matt Collins
12-23-2009, 01:18 AM
in the thread about Badnarik having a freaking heart attack and being unconscious, somehow you managed to steer the conversation to how you know Badnarik and then (extremely tacky, tasteless and sorry to say NOT confidence but pompous and arrogant self importance) You plaster a nice 8x10 of you in the handshake with Badnarik.I posted photo that because I wanted everyone to see how much Mike means to me. He is a pillar in my understanding of liberty. Sorry that you do not grasp that and automatically jump to conclusions that I am somehow trying to promote my ego or whatever nonsense you have claimed. :rolleyes:

nobody's_hero
12-23-2009, 02:35 AM
Mad when he doesn't shake hands, and mad when he does. :confused:

haaaylee
12-23-2009, 03:15 AM
Mad when he doesn't shake hands, and mad when he does. :confused:

confused when he doesn't
annoyed when he brags about it . ..

and is this matt/badnarik picture the new judge/matt photo? posted in every thread you can manage to justify it being in? just to make sure we all know that you were able to get someone to take a picture with you. seriously, not that impressive.

we are all in this together, there is no need to try to show off.

kathy88
12-23-2009, 05:40 AM
Matt,

I like you.

But....

in the thread about Badnarik having a freaking heart attack and being unconscious, somehow you managed to steer the conversation to how you know Badnarik and then (extremely tacky, tasteless and sorry to say NOT confidence but pompous and arrogant self importance) You plaster a nice 8x10 of you in the handshake with Badnarik. It was only out of respect for Badnarik and not wanting to completely derail the thread that I did not comment on it there. Then I see this thread still getting shamelessly bumped by you and as a friend I seriously feel that you have a serious ego problem. Not healthy self confidence, like you seem to delude yourself, actually you seem like a name dropper and it comes across as terrible LACK of self confidence as it appears you are always saying who you had drinks with, who you know, and pictures of you with anyone of name recognition (or with some cute girls I remember one time) again it seems like you are seeking validation by showing off who you can manage to get a photo op with.

Don;t get me wrong - I think your heart is in the right place, I think you have been an awesome and effective soldier fighting for Liberty. But this grandstanding/self-promotion/egotism is really an Achilles heel, and you are REALLY your own worst enemy sometimes.

Exactly this. Way more eloquent than I could have managed. I wanted to post in the Badnarek thread as well, but wished not to derail it. Matt, you post wonderful articles and contribute positive information to many threads, but the constant posting of pictures of you with whoever really is over the top and makes you SEEM (if that isn't your intent) like you feel you are overly important. Innuendos, name dropping, sly comments about who you know and WHAT you know only serve as above post stated to make you look like you are grasping for approval. We have all seen all the photos of you with RP, the judge, Badnarek, et al too many times to count. At this point it's almost comical.

rockandrollsouls
12-23-2009, 09:16 AM
Just as I've been saying for the past year, he's got an ego problem and he's wronfully operating under the "freedom" banner to mask it.

It's disgusting; ban him until he gets a reality check. Isn't it against forum rules to spam so much anyway? If anyone deserves it, it's him.

Just remember, we're about to get a valuable piece to the puzzle in the form of Rand in Senate, and it's ALL due to his proper decorum and modesty. There were plenty of opportunities for him to snag himself, but he didn't. He stood firm in human decency, honestly, and had basic manners. His opponent self destructed and we're about to gain more steam than we've ever had. Take a lesson from it, Matt. Get off your high horse, please. I think I can be nice to you and forgive you if you just swallow your pride, admit you were wrong, stop trolling and do something productive, but this needs to stop.

Really, read these words. Stop. It. Just Stop. It's over, it's done. Just stop.

randolphfuller
12-23-2009, 09:26 AM
Badnarik was widely viewed as a nut-ball candidate, who badly damaged the Libertarian Party. I hope he recovers and continues to fight for liberty.

LibertyEagle
12-23-2009, 09:30 AM
This thread has run its course.

I'm closing it.